Calories in Fruit Cocktail in Syrup

Options
AMRROL
AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
I have a large jar of fruit cocktail. The label says 78 calories for 100 grams. The total weight is 680 grams with the drained weight 385 grams. I am confused how to accurately log this item. There is no other indication on the nutritional label.

So, is the 100 grams based only on the drained fruit and not include the syrup? (That is what I am assuming). But what if I add some syrup to the serving bowl? It surely is not the same caloric value as the fruit. It is just pure sugar, glucose syrup and water. A different product entirely, no?

My intention is to put the entire jar (fruit and syrup) in the blender and puree it to make my own fruit juice, adding additional water to achieve my desired consistency and taste. Should I weigh out the fruit and enter it as 78 calories per 100 grams. Then measure the syrup and search the USDA data base for the caloric values of glucose syrup?

Replies

• MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Just checked. Del Monte fruit cocktail is 100 calories for 234g, that includes the extra light syrup in the can.

If you Google the brand name, their website might have more specific nutrition information.

I hope you have a fantastic blender or plan to strain your juice, pear is very gritty when blended.