question..is it okay to....

Options
exercise when you have a cold?? just cause i have been and some people say ...don't and others say you should...please let me know...danQ!!!

Replies

• jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Options
    I never thought twice about it. I jogged for 25 mins yesterday. About to ride my bike 6 miles home when i get off of work in 6 mins. Heck I'm coughing right now. I'm interested to hear what the responses will be about this.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I've always work out when I have a cold because that is usually the only time I can breathe through my nose without using nasal spray! :laugh: I also fell better afterwards. I just made sure to get plenty of vitamin C and I am good to go. I also find (could vary depending on the person) that I get over my colds faster if I work out while sick.
  • chandnikhondji
    chandnikhondji Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    i feel too crappy when i'm sick to workout others have no problem with that. I think it is wise to listen to your body. When your body can handle it.. why not. When you feel like S**t don't do it. Your body knows what's good for you :)
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you feel up to exercising, then it is fine. If you feel horrible, I would listen to your body as others have said, and take some time off.
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    The general rule is, if it's above the neck, then you're okay to exercise. If it's below the neck (i.e., lungs) take some time off.

So, if it's just a head cold, and you're up to it, then it's okay to exercise.

HTH...and feel better soon.
  • ashleyp35
    ashleyp35 Posts: 53
    Options
    Ive had a cold all week. It has not stopped me. Listen to your body!
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    You may want to read this article. It and the Mayo Clinic website use the "above the neck" rule too but this has at least one instance where you shouldn't run.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-286--9082-0,00.html
  • sydstar
    sydstar Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My doctor said that if you are sick and its a cold above the chest its okay but if its below the neck/chest (aka respiratory) then don't do a bunch a cardio until you are better.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    exercise when you have a cold?? just cause i have been and some people say ...don't and others say you should...please let me know...danQ!!!

It is dangerous to train on a cold. You may just think "it's just a cold, it'll be fine" off you go for your run or to the gym to do weights and then unbeknown to you, it is not just the cold virus but a different sort of virus that may put incredible strain on your heart and other organs.

Keep in mind too, that you will have a temperature raise when you have a cold, exercising will increase this further.

I have trained on a cold years ago, but no longer do. Walking and anything like that I have no trouble with, but I keep well away from heavy aerobic stuff or weights - after all it is only for three or four days!
  • gingerra19800
    Options
    danQ everyone for the advice and answers!!!! :happy: ...and i followed my body and just did wat i cud!!..have a blessed weekend!!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    My general rule of thumb is if it's above my neck (i.e. sinus congestion, scratchy throat), I still workout, though I may not push as hard as normal. If it's below my neck (i.e. chest congestion), I rest and allow my body the time it needs to recover from illness.