Office workers - how many steps per day do you average?

Options
2»

Replies

• tress29
    tress29 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Since so many of you talked about taking a lap every hour, I just went and walked around my floor. It was about 350 steps. Guess I need to set an alarm on my phone to prompt me to get off my rear!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Nowhere near what others are saying. My goal is 7,500 and I get maybe 2,500 during the work day itself. My Garmin buzzes at me every hour but I can't always get up. I have a short (150 steps) walk I can do with a stop at the water cooler for a glass of water, but we are a small office with no stairs.
    So I aim for ~2,500 on the treadmill before work, 2,500 during work and 2,500 either by a dog walk or something after work. If I go on the treadmill after dinner (I like doing that when watching hockey) then I can hit 13K or so.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I get over 10k a day usually and I aim for 12k. I get to work a little earlier than I need to and go for a walk, do laps around the building when I can, pace while on the phone or waiting on the printer, etc. I also have a standing desk and rarely sit down so I try to get just a few steps in every few minutes - even just walking in place. It all adds up.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have a really hard time getting over 6000. I walk to the bus stop in the morning, but I have a hard time getting away from my desk for more than a few hundred steps during the day. I need to get back to walking a mile to the next bus stop, but that affects my departure time and I'm an hourly employee...
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I feel like I am very lucky to have the type of job that I have. I am a receptionist/court-runner, which means every afternoon, I get to run around the entire city making stops at banks and court houses. This definitely helps me get my steps in. I couldn't even imagine just sitting at the office all day. Rain or Shine - its a great day to be outside! :D

eta - I am at 6,149 steps today, 20 more minutes to go!
  • fitqueenbess
    fitqueenbess Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I had a 3.57 mile morning walk, parked at the far end to attend noon YMCA Body Pump, went upstairs to use the restroom at work, ran errands after work, and I'm at 8400 steps. This was a reasonably big day for me. I can't do much more. Hat's off to y'all over 10K!
  • catalyst4514
    catalyst4514 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    7500 average if I just power walk on both 15 minute breaks. To hit 10k, I have to add either 45 min on treadmill before work or 20-30 min on treadmill before work and 20 min after work of some sort of intentional movement. It helps to park as far away as possible and get those extra steps. I've found it definitely takes some planning to hit 10k with a full time desk job.
  • jmagdalena707
    jmagdalena707 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I average about 12,000. In order to hit that I walk at lunch and exercise. Before I started that I was closer to 5,000 per day.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I try and get my 10,000 steps in at work (9-5 full-time office job). I park my car on the top (5th) floor of the parking garage and take the stairs rather than the elevator. Every hour I get up and walk from one end of the building to the other and from the first floor to the third. I also take a walk at lunch time. All this gets me to around 10,000 steps. Then on alternate evenings I go to the gym and do a 6k run on the treadmill in the winter, or a 6k run outside in the summer.