Shoe me your shoes for walking in cold weather

Options
I have a pair of Saucony running shoes that are on their way out. I walk my dog 2x per day and it will def be getting colder. Looking for some good sneaker type shoes that are good in cold weather (where it's not a mesh toe box type thing). They don't have to be overly athletic, but I'm not looking for snow boots, either--here are some basic reqs:
  • Available in wide width or have a naturally wide toe box
  • Decent tread for walking on icy and wet sidewalks/bike paths
  • Some amount of water resistance
  • Under or around $100

Ideas or suggestions?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Those look cool!! I don't have an issue with cold weather where I live, I am only here to see the shoes. <3 shoes
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Get any shoe that fits you comfortably and has decent grip on the bottom. That's really all that matters.

Weather resistant is nice but that also means it takes a long time to dry.

If the shoe has goretex, the gtx layer will fail, within a season if you wear them regularly. So it's probably not worth paying for.

Microspikes and Yaktrax are good for occasional ice. When I hike in the winter I carry Microspikes in my pack and put them on when I encounter ice or slippery hardened snow. Anyway great tread specific to ice isn't really that important because you can add these when you need them.

41u8zuTgPvL._SX300_.jpgyaktrax-ice-cleats1.gif
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Those look cool!! I don't have an issue with cold weather where I live, I am only here to see the shoes. <3 shoes

I want all the shoes.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of scarpa mojitos which I bought for casual trekking in Iceland.

You can't really go wrong with a combination of Italian shoe manufacturing and Norwegian knowhow.

Not sure how well these would cope with cold weather, but I love the fit, it is so comfortable and the lacing means they can be micro-adjusted for when your feet expand a bit. They stick like *kitten* to wet rocks too.

might be on the pricy side though for you - I got mine in a sale for £76 from Germany.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    If it's wet or not much below freezing, I have a pair of water-resistant Nike Frees that work great (similar to these but in the Free style instead of Air Zoom.) I wear these to run outdoors as well until I decide to retreat indoors to the treadmill for the winter.

If it's colder, I switch to some Columbia midweight hiking boots I've had for over a decade and are still going pretty strong. They're super basic but they do the trick. I've sprayed them with waterproofing spray twice a year or so since I bought them and that keeps them dry in the snow for sure. Obviously these are for walking and not running though.

And if it's -20C or worse, then it's Sorel Joan of Arctics every time for my daily trip to the train station etc.

(ETA: Nike makes water-resistant running shoes in adult sizes too, not just the kid ones I linked. I have small feet so I get the kids' ones as they're cheaper, and I get mine at an outlet so they're cheaper still.)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i bike a lot more than i walk, but my universal-activity winter shoes are lightweight hikers from hi-tec or columbia. my sister left home in a pair of hi-tecs and came back two or three years later in the same pair. apparently they took her from nairobi to cape town with a detour up and down kilimanjaro in the interim, and they still looked pretty good. so, yeah.

for context: winter conditions around here usually stay a little above freezing, with torrents of rain and only occasional snow which is usually pretty sloppy and wet.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    xny0hz9gk4ox.jpg I got these last winter - they are awesome.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Saucony running shoes that are on their way out. I walk my dog 2x per day and it will def be getting colder. Looking for some good sneaker type shoes that are good in cold weather (where it's not a mesh toe box type thing). They don't have to be overly athletic, but I'm not looking for snow boots, either--here are some basic reqs:
    • Available in wide width or have a naturally wide toe box
    • Decent tread for walking on icy and wet sidewalks/bike paths
    • Some amount of water resistance
    • Under or around $100

Ideas or suggestions?

I walk my dog on my waterproof Navado's hiking boots. They are comfy and warm and do well in slippery terrain.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

OMG! I had these back in the 1980s and the were awesome! I've looked for them often since then & have not seen them maybe they are "new" again! (My foot spread as I gained weight over the years, so my shoe size increased by a couple sizes and has not gone down since losing.)
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    xny0hz9gk4ox.jpg I got these last winter - they are awesome.

I think I am getting the shoe version of those.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

OMG! I had these back in the 1980s and the were awesome! I've looked for them often since then & have not seen them maybe they are "new" again! (My foot spread as I gained weight over the years, so my shoe size increased by a couple sizes and has not gone down since losing.)

They seem to make the most sense. Warm. Not snow boots. Some tread. And evidently awesome since the 80s.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

They seem to make the most sense. Warm. Not snow boots. Some tread. And evidently awesome since the 80s.

I just ordered the low cut version for me and hubby. There are a couple of colors in women's that are on sale, one hi cut and one low cut.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I say it's ll about the socks. I went to runner store bought winter socks. put the spike things on shoes as in picture above when snow was on sidewalks and trained for a half marathon in the winter in canada using that method. I fund the walking boots restrict ankle movement and I'd have sore legs. I just used my runners with the winter socks and they were toasty warm. if sidewalks wereally clear I'd take off the springy spike things as it is harder on feet with then when no snow to cushion. have fun winter walking isone of my fav activity