Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

having PCOS, on escitalopram,trying to drop some weight anyone?

Hi i am iram , diagnosed with pcos (polycystic ovaries) in 2006 took alot of medications , and got some stomach issues in 2015 may be due to medicines or whatever it was , now on escitalopram and zantac, but want to quit them but no clue how, and trying to get in figure

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,289 Member
    Don't stop taking your SSRI without a taper schedule from your doctor! Some people have adverse reactions to stopping certain drugs.

Just ask for a safe way to get off it - I would first put in place a plan to address the underlying depression and/or anxiety that caused your doctor to prescribe it in the first place. Without a plan to address this, you're going to be in over your head.

I gained 50 pounds on medications, BUT in order for me to successfully get off them it was a long process of dealing with my psychological "stuff."

With that said, I didn't know I was supposed to wean off them, and just quit them. It worked out okay for me, but at the time my life was very low stress and all I had to worry about was my thinking.
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    When I got off my SSRIs, it was not an easy road for me even with a taper schedule. I ran out once when my insurance lapsed and I was cold turkey for a month, it was the worst month (dizziness, shocks, nausea, the works). I would definitely talk to your doctor and work out a plan to get off them.