Tummy problems...too much protein?

Options
I've noticed this past week that while I have stayed with in my calories, I have gone over on the protein several days this week. I'm wondering if this could be the cause of the sudden onset of tummy pain and struggling to use the bathroom. I'm drinking a lot of water too.

Anyone experience this? Maybe it's just the over change in diet?

Replies

• AJB87
    AJB87 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough fiber from fruits and veggies? This could cause the tummy issue.
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I peeked at your diary for a few days this week and if you are logging accurately, I would say yes, this is probably your tummy issue. I saw dairy, meat, and carbs, but I only saw two or three full servings of vegetables or fruit for the whole week. Try adding some fruit to yogurt or cereal in the morning. Put some more vegetables in your sandwiches and wraps. If you don't like/usually eat vegetables, try adding them into your diet slowly. If you try to pile a bunch on all at once you might get another stomach issue, gas. But if you don't try to incorporate more fruits and veg into your diet, you are missing out on important vitamins, and you will probably continue to have some constipation (unless you have a condition in which produce is a problem for you like IBS)
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I peeked at your diary for a few days this week and if you are logging accurately, I would say yes, this is probably your tummy issue. I saw dairy, meat, and carbs, but I only saw two or three full servings of vegetables or fruit for the whole week. Try adding some fruit to yogurt or cereal in the morning. Put some more vegetables in your sandwiches and wraps. If you don't like/usually eat vegetables, try adding them into your diet slowly. If you try to pile a bunch on all at once you might get another stomach issue, gas. But if you don't try to incorporate more fruits and veg into your diet, you are missing out on important vitamins, and you will probably continue to have some constipation (unless you have a condition in which produce is a problem for you like IBS)

I don't like veggies, but am slowing working up myself to trying them. It's a texture and smell thing. I've got some recipes to try so hopefully that will help.

Thanks for the feedback!

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    You can do a veggie powder in a smoothie... however certain meats are harder to digest. Way overdoing protein will cause constipation. Plus the body does not use excess protein.
  • kschwab0203
    Options
    You can do a veggie powder in a smoothie... however certain meats are harder to digest. Way overdoing protein will cause constipation. Plus the body does not use excess protein.

Yea, I think I'm over doing the protein. Not intentionally, I just need to make some food swaps.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Yeah I used to eat way too little protein so when I upped it to 100 grams a day (from like 25 before) my tummy hurt and I got kinda constipated and bad gas. I upped the fruits, veggies & water for a few days which helped but my body kinda just had to adjust. I think my flora have adjusted now and my digestion is fine now & no more gas. It took a couple weeks to normalize/grow the right tummy flora.

Honestly veggies are my favorite thing so I really don't get the hating veggies thing... maybe try some dried fruit and lots of water?
  • kshatriyo
    kshatriyo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You are doing low carb low sugar from what I can see in your diary. It is a common issue to have digestion problems with high dairy, high fat, low fiber. If you are trying to reach ketosis I suggest moderating your protein to under 70 grams per day or else it will convert to glucose and defeat the purpose of this. But as for tummy trouble, that is probably the aforementioned low fiber high fat, for which I suggest you take a digestive enzyme containing ox bile. NOW has a good one, it helps me and I have been following a diet extremely similar to yours.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    kshatriyo wrote: »
    You are doing low carb low sugar from what I can see in your diary. It is a common issue to have digestion problems with high dairy, high fat, low fiber. If you are trying to reach ketosis I suggest moderating your protein to under 70 grams per day or else it will convert to glucose and defeat the purpose of this. But as for tummy trouble, that is probably the aforementioned low fiber high fat, for which I suggest you take a digestive enzyme containing ox bile. NOW has a good one, it helps me and I have been following a diet extremely similar to yours.

She's already said she's not trying to be on ketosis, I think she just eats that way because she likes meat and cheese and doesn't like veggies. Not sure why she's doing low carb though. I'm losing weight with a carb ratio of 50% - all you need to lose weight is be in a caloric deficit. Eliminating food groups is unnecessary and if she hates veggies then the only antioxidants & vitamins are going to come from things like oats & potatoes & fruit- which people tend to cut out when they go low carb. Shame.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    One word...fiber. If you're going to eat more protein, you need to eat more fiber as well.
  • kschwab0203
    Options
    kshatriyo wrote: »

She's already said she's not trying to be on ketosis, I think she just eats that way because she likes meat and cheese and doesn't like veggies. Not sure why she's doing low carb though. I'm losing weight with a carb ratio of 50% - all you need to lose weight is be in a caloric deficit. Eliminating food groups is unnecessary and if she hates veggies then the only antioxidants & vitamins are going to come from things like oats & potatoes & fruit- which people tend to cut out when they go low carb. Shame.

It's funny, because I am just eating what I like. I'm not intentionally eating a lot of protein or intentionally staying away from carbs. I'm just eating what I like.

I do love how logging everyday shows you the bigger picture of what you are eating and one person's trends of eating.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    If higher protein is something new and you aren't getting enough fiber then yes this could be some of the problem. You can take a fiber supplement until you get enough dietary fiber, but also remember to drink at least 64oz of water daily. The amount of protein you are getting is good so if you are happy with the results you are getting then stick with it.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    yep. Fat and fiber will keep things moving. Lots of dairy (including milk based protein powder) & calcium supplements can bind you up also; magnesium can offset this.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Don't forget fruit, and legumes (beans, lentils, chickpeas) are also good sources of fibre. Also you don't have to eat your veg straight, you can blend it up into soup and still get the benefit. Lentil soup is an excellent, tasty way to get a lot of fibre.

Also make sure you're taking in enough fluid, dehydration causes constipation. This is an amazing fix if you are constipated, drink a big glass of water (or whatever) and sometimes it can make a difference right away.

Of course there are also wholegrains to consider - just make sure if you increase your wholegrains that you are drinking plenty, as in some cases extra bran can make matters worse if there isn't enough liquid to keep it moving through.
  • kschwab0203
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback!