Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Bariatric surger the only option

Options
2»

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Don't ask a hairdresser if you need a haircut?

There's your hint "....bariatric (weight-loss) surgery as the only effective treatment...". Surgery. Invasive medical intervention. There may be no other type of "invasive medical treatment" that works as well. That might even be a true statement. However, not everyone (most people in fact) do not need "invasive medical treatment" to fix their weight problem. They simply want a quick fix, and again.. if you ask a surgeon what his answer would be, the answer is usually going to be.. wait for it.. surgery.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I know several people who had bariatric surgery. They all gained the weight back. The surgery reduces the size of your stomach and limits the amount of food your stomach can hold at once, which naturally forces you to eat less. You still have to learn effective habits because you can stretch it back out, meaning you wasted all that money and time for nothing.

All weight loss, surgical or otherwise, relies on continuing positive habits after the extra weight is gone. You can take the time to learn them as you lose or you can be forced into a situation where you have to learn them immediately. The conversations I have had with those who gained it all back showed that they didn't take time to fix the mental part of it and that when they lost the weight the second time they made sure to fix how they saw things and approached food the second time around.

I know three people who had the surgery. Only one has been successful at maintaining her loss.

She's the only one who from the start acknowledged that she had to make sweeping changing to her whole lifestyle and relationship with food and worked hard to do just that.

The other two started looking for ways to game the whole thing as soon as they could. They were just looking for a quick fix and never acknowledged the part they played in their problem.

Similar story here. I know four people who've had it done (various types of procedures). It's been about 3 yrs since the most recent one I know about and none have kept it off.

One ended up back in the hospital with systemic organ failure. He recovered and is mostly back to normal, health-wise. The best explanation the doctors were able to come up with was a combination of malnutrition and a low-grade infection from surgery that turned into much more as the months passed. This guy either did not get any advice on how to eat after surgery or he threw it all out the window from day one. Hard to tell.

Two went the more common route of losing about 60-70% of what they needed to get to a healthy weight and then started putting it back on when their stomach stretched back out and they weren't so careful about their diets anymore, although they will tell you they are still eating the way they were. It is obvious that both are now eating much more volume at a sitting than they were even remotely capable of months after surgery. We're talking at least 3x more - which is why the weight creeps back on. One of these two was just prescribed a doctor-recommended VLCD because his weight is starting to cause heart issues.

The fourth went the route of losing everything he wanted to lose, and gaining every bit of it back. This guy used to be an athlete. More than a hobbyist, but not a pro. A bicyclist and very lean and muscled - the last person you would have thought would have 1) gained enough to be morbidly obese, 2) had surgery to lose it given he knew how to lose that weight already, and 3) gain it all back again. Then, although we didn't know this at the time, he decided to do something about the fact he was unhappy with his marriage and ready for a change. Guess what - now that he had plenty of motivation, he dieted and exercised the way he already knew how to do and was down to healthy and well muscled again pretty quickly. Then he divorced his wife, who had stuck with him through the whole mess for a younger woman. :headdesk:

To be fair, it took something similar to your last statement for me to get my *kitten* back together and resume fat loss.

My ex-wife and I went through the initial "let's unfat ourselves" together, both of us doing very well, and by any metric, she better than me. She won several transformation contests, a couple of powerlifting tournaments, and overall did excellent on her drop from 190 to 120. I, on the other hand did fine, but not great. 265 to 185, and decent strength increases, but nothing to write home about.

Well, once we hit maintenance mode, I held between 185 and 190 for three years, but she completely lost control of herself and regained it all and then some. Now, in and of itself, this wasn't too big of an issue. What was an issue was the fact thay her getting fat again put her into such a negative funk that she became insufferable. Every other day she would whine about beinf fat, and I would tell her "you already know what you need to do, and you've done it before, so just get at it". That would always garner a response loaded with excuses, and she'd shove more ice cream into her face.

After a couple of years of this, I was just exhausted and done. I had started to creep back up on the scale myself, but as soon as I got near 200 again, I knew what I needed to do, and I did it. I purged the negativity and went on a massive hellcut from 195 to 150 within a few months. Interestingly, since we separated, she has gotten herself back together as well. There was just something there that was making both of us miserable, and our bodies were showing it.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    In my preferred world there would be an alternative but the medical profession are not with me on this one.

I would make it mandatory that anyone with any chronic condition has the full range of thyroid blood tests taken to identify if those poor people who do not have a reasonable level of t3 in their blood. T3 is the active form of thyroid hormone. Having a good level of t3 of its own will not ensure a person has t3 in their cells but it goes a long way to discovering what is going on in a body and at the present time is never taken into consideration. If I ask my doctor to test my t3 I am looked at as if I have left the planet. If you are considered for treatment on tsh and t4 numbers it is assumed you will automatically convert t4 to t3.....................

Thyroid support sites list some 300 different symptoms which are attribute to thyroid related malfunctions within the endocrine system. Trying to cluster different terms under key words, the digestive system prepares our food to be taken into our bodies, to do this it takes digestive acid and microbes, to eliminate our byproducts and toxins etc, we also need more different microbes. As we age our bodies make less digestive acid, also if we constantly over feed ourselves it cant keep up in part because we no longer eat foods with bitter tastes. Our digestive microbes come under attack from medications frequently prescribed to help us, primarily antibiotics which kill bacteria indiscriminately the beneficial and problematic microbes. Other medications such as the aspirin also compromise the beneficial bacteria. How often are we told this. I have had to find out for myself. Often because of our modern diet many of us are deficient in essential minerals or have them out of balance. Some of us still have amalgam fillings which contain mercury a major toxin. Many females can have an excess of copper in their bodies from the use of contraceptive implants which use copper to kill sperm. Those on the pill any form can also have problems because the reproductive cycles are blocked. Toxins make the liver work much harder to eliminate them, and contribute to allergies and intolerance's.

To continue on the reproduction issue, t3 governs the female reproductive cycle. T3 is also essential for every cell to ensure accurate replication. T3 is needed for our brains, many texts refers to t3 as the brain hormone. How many people who have mental health problems do not feel well on their medication? These are the people who would probably benefit from thyroid function investigation to see what is going on. Likewise those who have respiratory issues Asthma or Bronchitis. I've know for years that the thyroid can be implicated in Asthma but asthmatics are never tested for t3. When someone lives at a calorific deficit and a thyroid related problem their metabolism suffers a double hit because both actions down regulates our requirements.

I'm confident that when the balance of the endocrine system is restored, when specifically the adrenal; pituitary thyroid axis etc, is balances everyone's digestive issues would improve. Will the medical profession do any of this...... I truly fear not.

Read from, free hospital papers, thyroid support sites, STTM, stop the thyroid madness, your national thyroid support sites and the Hypothyroid Mom. All I have written and believe is contained there. With the right help for you, you will not need an operation. All the very best
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    @Fuzzipeg, what? I am confused about your lengthy dissertation on thyroid issues, and how it even fits in with the conversation.

As go the OP, there is no one way to lose weight, but I've read plenty of success stories of people who have lost without surgery. My SIL had weight loss surgery, ended up gaining most of her weight back ten years later, all because she never changed her mentality around food.

Eat less calories than you burn and you will lose weight. If you don't, then you need to go to the doctor.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    A very wise 3rd grade teacher told me many years ago if a question had "always" or "only" in it the answer was most likely false.

Very wise indeed - I had a similar teacher who stated the same with "never" and told us to relish proving these people wrong.
  • bsyarber
    bsyarber Posts: 4 Member
    Options
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I know several people who had bariatric surgery. They all gained the weight back. The surgery reduces the size of your stomach and limits the amount of food your stomach can hold at once, which naturally forces you to eat less. You still have to learn effective habits because you can stretch it back out, meaning you wasted all that money and time for nothing.

All weight loss, surgical or otherwise, relies on continuing positive habits after the extra weight is gone. You can take the time to learn them as you lose or you can be forced into a situation where you have to learn them immediately. The conversations I have had with those who gained it all back showed that they didn't take time to fix the mental part of it and that when they lost the weight the second time they made sure to fix how they saw things and approached food the second time around.

I know three people who had the surgery. Only one has been successful at maintaining her loss.

She's the only one who from the start acknowledged that she had to make sweeping changing to her whole lifestyle and relationship with food and worked hard to do just that.

The other two started looking for ways to game the whole thing as soon as they could. They were just looking for a quick fix and never acknowledged the part they played in their problem.

Similar story here. I know four people who've had it done (various types of procedures). It's been about 3 yrs since the most recent one I know about and none have kept it off.

One ended up back in the hospital with systemic organ failure. He recovered and is mostly back to normal, health-wise. The best explanation the doctors were able to come up with was a combination of malnutrition and a low-grade infection from surgery that turned into much more as the months passed. This guy either did not get any advice on how to eat after surgery or he threw it all out the window from day one. Hard to tell.

Two went the more common route of losing about 60-70% of what they needed to get to a healthy weight and then started putting it back on when their stomach stretched back out and they weren't so careful about their diets anymore, although they will tell you they are still eating the way they were. It is obvious that both are now eating much more volume at a sitting than they were even remotely capable of months after surgery. We're talking at least 3x more - which is why the weight creeps back on. One of these two was just prescribed a doctor-recommended VLCD because his weight is starting to cause heart issues.

The fourth went the route of losing everything he wanted to lose, and gaining every bit of it back. This guy used to be an athlete. More than a hobbyist, but not a pro. A bicyclist and very lean and muscled - the last person you would have thought would have 1) gained enough to be morbidly obese, 2) had surgery to lose it given he knew how to lose that weight already, and 3) gain it all back again. Then, although we didn't know this at the time, he decided to do something about the fact he was unhappy with his marriage and ready for a change. Guess what - now that he had plenty of motivation, he dieted and exercised the way he already knew how to do and was down to healthy and well muscled again pretty quickly. Then he divorced his wife, who had stuck with him through the whole mess for a younger woman. :headdesk:

To be fair, it took something similar to your last statement for me to get my *kitten* back together and resume fat loss.

My ex-wife and I went through the initial "let's unfat ourselves" together, both of us doing very well, and by any metric, she better than me. She won several transformation contests, a couple of powerlifting tournaments, and overall did excellent on her drop from 190 to 120. I, on the other hand did fine, but not great. 265 to 185, and decent strength increases, but nothing to write home about.

Well, once we hit maintenance mode, I held between 185 and 190 for three years, but she completely lost control of herself and regained it all and then some. Now, in and of itself, this wasn't too big of an issue. What was an issue was the fact thay her getting fat again put her into such a negative funk that she became insufferable. Every other day she would whine about beinf fat, and I would tell her "you already know what you need to do, and you've done it before, so just get at it". That would always garner a response loaded with excuses, and she'd shove more ice cream into her face.

After a couple of years of this, I was just exhausted and done. I had started to creep back up on the scale myself, but as soon as I got near 200 again, I knew what I needed to do, and I did it. I purged the negativity and went on a massive hellcut from 195 to 150 within a few months. Interestingly, since we separated, she has gotten herself back together as well. There was just something there that was making both of us miserable, and our bodies were showing it.

The *headdesk* mostly was not because this guy decided to leave his wife.

Mostly, it was because it just astounds me that someone would go through bariatric surgery to lose weight when they are clearly more than capable of doing it themselves given sufficient motivation. I would do just about anything to avoid the VLCD, etc that comes along with the surgery.

It was also partially because this particular guy sprang his unhappiness on his wife and young kids only after he'd already gotten lean, found himself a new SO, and had been cheating on his wife for months which I consider to be a *kitten* move. But those details weren't relevant to the point I was trying to make so I left them out.
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I suppose I am statistically a diet "failure", because I do yo-yo.

I gain, slowly, over a few years, and diet, at a moderate deficit, for a few months, again and again and again. I don't really find losing that hard, once I'm in the right frame of mind.

I usually go up to the same sort of point, midway up the "overweight bracket, where UK size 16s are beginning to be too snug, and I start to feel really fat. My normal diet isn't bad, I just sometimes get into a bit of a rut of eating a bit too much of it. I often have good activity levels, but sometimes get de-railed by external factors, get out of the habit, and find it hard to re-start.

BUT, I have only ever gone up into the "overweight" bracket. Suppose I had never dieted, just let my weight creep up, year on year - I'd probably be morbidly obese by now, and unable to do all the things I like to do. So, failure or not, I think this is still better for me than that alternative.

Being overweight certainly makes some things harder work and less enjoyable, it confers a mildly elevated risk of health problems, and I don't like the way I look when I am overweight, so I really don't want to go back there.

But truth be told, I'm not prepared to log daily for the rest of my life, so i suspect that the best I'll manage is to shorten that cycle, pretty much live normally for ten months each year, and have a new year's resolution to lose anything I've gained in the first few weeks of the year - fortunately that is a very slow time for me on the social front. And my average rate of weight gain would only increase 1-2 BMI units in that time, and probably less than a dress size.

If I can keep to that, I should never get close to the "Overweight" bracket again. Big "IF", of course.
  • U2Bad1
    U2Bad1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The statistic is scary, however the good news is that you have control over whether you fit in the 95% or 5% bucket.