Newbie here wanting to gain

Options
I've still got about 20 pounds to lose, but I want to go ahead and start mentally preparing myself for gaining lean mass. So I have a few questions that I would like to ask that might help me insure a logical plan. Please correct any of my assumptions. I'm currently 6'1" and 190 pounds. I probably don't have much lean mass.

1. I assume I should go head and start lifting while in a defict and that lifting from the start of my journey would have been a better idea. Is that right?

2. It's my understanding that I should eat no more than a 500 calorie surplus because anything beyond that would be pure fat. Would the ratio of muscle and fat gain be better if I went for a 250-300 calorie surplus?

3. I'll be using Dumbbells at first. I would prefer to stick to Dumbbells at least for the first year. I don't have the extra cash to spend on a gym membership. I don't really want to be huge. I'm looking for more of a skinny athletic bodytype or what some might call ottermode. Would you mind looking at this workout plan and giving me a general idea of whether it will be worth while?
http://bodybuilding.com/fun/rudy6.htm
If you don't want to click the link.
26a24sh080n9.jpg
I won't be following the weight suggestions. Instead I'll be lifting progressively in the rep ranges given. I plan on lifting 3 days a week and possibly running 3 days a week.

If you have any other suggestions for a complete beginner, please tell me.

Replies

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    1. Yes because while lifting at a deficit generally won't build muscle, it will reduce the amount of muscle you will lose.

2. There is a trade-off of going with lower surplus. You will have less fat gain, but also less muscle gain the closer you are to maintenance calories.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    1. Yes because while lifting at a deficit generally won't build muscle, it will reduce the amount of muscle you will lose.

2. There is a trade-off of going with lower surplus. You will have less fat gain, but also less muscle gain the closer you are to maintenance calories.
    Thanks for the response. Do you usually prefer a higher surplus?

• run4yourlifegirl
    Options
    In a calorie surplus you're going to gain SOME fat, even if you're lifting. That's why when building muscle, weight lifters typically go through "bulking" and "cutting" stages. In bulking, you eat a calorie surplus and you gain both muscle and a little bit of fat. In the cutting phase you eat a slight deficit while still lifting which allows your body to lose mostly fat. Going through several rounds of this is typically what a body builder will do to prepare for a competition.