Slim Fast or Whey protein ?

Options
Ello everyone, I Need some help here.
I'm thinking of getting Slim fast Shake replacement meal, i'm 23, i weigh 273, I want to lose weight but i'm not very good at watching what carbs i eat or not. etc. But i was thinking of getting slim fast but i saw someone post they also go whey protein as well.. i'm just lost, i want to lose weight, i just want to know your guys thoughts, and i also know nothing about protein shakes..or what to do with them..

Replies

• flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    If your trying to replace a meal, you should look for a meal replacement. While protein alone helps with muscle gain and satiation - it's lacking the rest of the nutrition you need to live. Slimfast tends to be heavy on the sugar and not great on the macro nutrients.

I personally lost 60 lbs eating a meal replacement called Soylent. It's in the news right now because their latest powder version that contained algae protein in addition to soy protein caused a small number of people to have upset stomach issues. I personally tolerated it fine and it has been a part of my diet for a long time.

Their liquid version doesn't have algae and doesn't have the reported tummy issues. I do recommend Soylent, or a competitor called Joylent.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Whey protein is, well just protein. Meal replacement shakes should be more than that. If you have trouble meeting protein goals....add whey protein to your daily regimen. If you are looking for a (possible) short cut to weight loss.....use a meal replacement shake. There are lots of brands out there, many are better quality than Slim Fast. Slim Fast has quite a bit of sugar which is generally not filling.

I've done meal replacement shakes for weight loss, I do NOT recommend them. I lost weight, but of course gained all the weight back when I started eating "normally" again. This is because my "normal" eating pattern = fat person.

So now I measure & log everything I eat. Normal foods....but now it's appropriate portions. Losing weight = calorie reduction. Carbs don't matter unless you have medical issues. I recommend measuring & logging regular foods. This will help you LEARN proper portions. You will figure out what things you need to change for a lifetime. Because we want the weight loss to be for a lifetime.

My Fitness Pal is designed as a food diary......Slim Fast is designed so you skip most of that. So if you look at it that way, it's not surprising that most people here measure & log all their meals.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    i bought a can of sf on one of my 'let's see what's on the discount rack' things that i use to make gateway trials into products and brands i might not like. normally i'm a whey isolate girl.

wouldn't buy sf again. once i realized the '20g' protien highlighted on the label meant i had to drink two of them every day, they're just not in the niche that i'm shopping for.

context: i'm more about muscle and only calorie conscious to the extent of not regaining fat that i've already lost. so ymmv if you're on a different track.
  • BritneyCase
    BritneyCase Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't wish to do a meal replacement i tried it before and i gained what little two pounds i lost back, I want something i can drink before and after i go to planet fitness, something to keep me full, but that won't cost a arm an leg,

Thank you for your replies where fast! I think i'm gonna look into whey protein though, not sure,
    ouch sorry about that there cans are pretty nasty..
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,103 Member
    Options
    Personally I would get an unflavored whey protein and make my own meal substitute by blending in various other things to give is flavor and additional nutrients. It is basically what I do right now for breakfast when I am in a rush, or for a meal when I have little desire to cook. Remember though, it is a supplement, and will not have the broad number of nutrients that food has.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I don't wish to do a meal replacement i tried it before and i gained what little two pounds i lost back, I want something i can drink before and after i go to planet fitness, something to keep me full, but that won't cost a arm an leg,

Thank you for your replies where fast! I think i'm gonna look into whey protein though, not sure,

That sounds good. Slim Fast has too much of what you're not looking for.
  • BritneyCase
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

That sounds good. Slim Fast has too much of what you're not looking for.

Thank you, i shall look into it(:
  • BritneyCase
    Options
    Personally I would get an unflavored whey protein and make my own meal substitute by blending in various other things to give is flavor and additional nutrients. It is basically what I do right now for breakfast when I am in a rush, or for a meal when I have little desire to cook. Remember though, it is a supplement, and will not have the broad number of nutrients that food has.

I've been looking at Walmart online, i shall look for that, That is fine i'm just hoping to try something to get me to stay on track,
  • Dobeigh28
    Dobeigh28 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like the chocolate EAS protein shakes. They don't have as much sugar and have like 15 grams of protein. Also the Nectar Protein drinks are really good.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    The critical thing is sorting out your food habits to allow you to maintain your weight when you reach your goal. Meal replacements do not teach this! In my opinion, whey protein shakes can be implemented if you are struggling to reach your protein goal.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

Keep in mind unless you're having trouble hitting your protein goals, that's just adding unnecessary calories to your day.. if you drink a shake before and after you work out, you're going to wipe out all the calories you just worked off and then some. If you're not having trouble hitting your protein goals I'd skip the shakes and just eat your regular lunch after the gym instead.
  • kkrober25
    kkrober25 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think you should aim to eat a Heathy balanced diet. I get most of my protein from eggs, chicken breast, 0% milk and Greek yogurt. I only drink protein shakes after weight lifting and only if I am not eating a meal right after I get home from the gym. I never have a problem reaching my protein goals, but if you feel you are look for a lower calorie option. The protein I use is 90 calories, but some can be quite calorie dense.

• alcomer
    alcomer Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have been using GNC lean shakes for breakfast only and have lost approx 15 lbs since April. They really fill you up and I use Almond milk. I try to eat healthy meals and snacks for the remainder of the day.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Just have a snack before you work out. One scoop is like 120 cal mix it with almond milk another 80 cal. Eat a string cheese before 80cal
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options

I did the same for a couple of years as a work-lunch routine (now I'm home, not working, so I have more regular food).

Made a mixture of half unflavored whey and half of a composite superfoods/fiber powder (Jarrow Whey and Garden of Life Raw Fiber, if you want the details), in a shaker bottle that I filled with water at lunch. Sometimes, at home, used unflavored almond milk. Was satisfying through the afternoon, with good alertness. Had a second shake or a regular breakfast (depending) and a regular dinner. Lost a few pounds, nothing crazy, but considered this a success.

Whey typically isn't a "weight loss" product, per se. They have label warnings to that effect.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    If your trying to replace a meal, you should look for a meal replacement. While protein alone helps with muscle gain and satiation - it's lacking the rest of the nutrition you need to live. Slimfast tends to be heavy on the sugar and not great on the macro nutrients.

I personally lost 60 lbs eating a meal replacement called Soylent. It's in the news right now because their latest powder version that contained algae protein in addition to soy protein caused a small number of people to have upset stomach issues. I personally tolerated it fine and it has been a part of my diet for a long time.

Their liquid version doesn't have algae and doesn't have the reported tummy issues. I do recommend Soylent, or a competitor called Joylent.

SlimFast does make a shake with 20 G protein and 1 G sugar. Atkins makes a similar one that tastes better with 15 G protein and 1 G sugar. You have to read the labels carefully because they also sell shakes with lower protein and higher sugar.

I consider both these shakes good for travel (they make an okay meal with a salad), or for temporary use while you figure out what to eventually eat.
  • rachelblesso
    rachelblesso Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    They both have their uses. Slim Fast is a bit more filling in my opinion, but provides a different service than Whey. One is protein, the other is a meal replacement.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Personally i do unflavoured and unsweetened whey blizzed with, fruit, almond milk and 4g real sugar .

I dont do artificial sweeteners as they increase my sweet cravings. I just want sweeter and sweeter. My diet was already too high in sugary things at the expense of fat and protein. I find that cutting out sweet flavours massively reduces my taste for them. This includes things like dried fruit which i was eating too much of.

Flavoured whey and slimfast are just too sweet tasting for me and have the sweeteners that i avoid.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Personally i do unflavoured and unsweetened whey blizzed with, fruit, almond milk and 4g real sugar .

I dont do artificial sweeteners as they increase my sweet cravings. I just want sweeter and sweeter. My diet was already too high in sugary things at the expense of fat and protein. I find that cutting out sweet flavours massively reduces my taste for them. This includes things like dried fruit which i was eating too much of.

Flavoured whey and slimfast are just too sweet tasting for me and have the sweeteners that i avoid.

You don't use sweetener or like sweetened things yet add fruit and sugar?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a combination of the two, Isopure's powders have a buttload of micronutrients added.