Help please

2»

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited November 2016
    Your body is subject to the laws of physics, just like the rest of us. If you're not losing weight, there are a few possibilities.

1. You haven't given it enough time. CICO (Calories In<Calories Out) works but it's not always linear. Things like hormones, water retention due to high sodium intake, and water weight due to starting a new workout routine can mask fat loss.

2. You're not logging as accurately as you think you are. Scanning bar codes on packages isn't always as effective as you would think, because the marked portion size can be surprisingly inaccurate, and it's amazingly easy to underestimate portion sizes.

These are usually the best place to start when someone's wondering why they're not losing weight.

Give it a bit more time if you've just started (or just started a new exercise routine), consider buying a food scale so that you can be super accurate in your food logging.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited November 2016
    Ok great thanks ive changed it to 1 pound per week it was on 1.5lb per week it has not changed the 1.200 calories though ill stick with it i supoose

Eat back some or all your exercise calories.
  • ashley_mulvey
    ashley_mulvey Posts: 67 Member
    Ye tbh it might just be taking my body alot to adjust to the loosing weight process might just take some time to show or the scan on foods are not accurate i wont beat meself up about it ill carry on and keep working hard as best as i can thanks alot
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    If you've just started working out you could be retaining water too. Being more on the petite side you'll just have to lose slower as you can't have as large a cut in calories without sacrificing much needed nutrition. But trust the process and it will happen.

What you eat absolutely does not matter for weight loss. For health and hunger it is of course a different matter.

As to exercise, first and foremost do something you enjoy and can be consistent with. Strength training is great for retaining muscle and that's what makes us look good naked. Cardio is great for heart and lung health and bigger calorie burns so we can eat more.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Ok great thanks ive changed it to 1 pound per week it was on 1.5lb per week it has not changed the 1.200 calories though ill stick with it i supoose

I'm only 5'2", so I get this as well.

Packages can be off by 20%, and usually they are more than it says on the package. This can significantly impact how much you are eating. So the most accurate will be to weigh it on a food scale and log by weight. Things that can make it seem like you aren't losing when you actual are: new exercise routine, high sodium, and TOM can cause water retention which will mask loses. Water weight caused by exercise can last 2-4 weeks, TOM about 1 week, and sodium usually a day or two.

Recommendations: make sure your logging is accurate and have patience.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Height about 5.3 and current weight 11s 7p and goal 8 stone
    Sometimes It's not The calories that you are eating that is the Issue, it can be the Types of foods. For instance you can eat a WHOLE lot more shrimp, fish etc cooked on a grill and it will help you lose wt, compared to the same amount of calories in a sandwich heavy bread type. Just saying you have to look at the What you are eating too.

No. Calories are what determine weight loss not the type of food.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    If you aren't feeling hungry, don't worry too much about what you are eating for now. Calories count for weight loss. Nutritional balance, satiety, and gym performance may require some tweaking of food choices.

Personally, I find fats and proteins more filling, veggies are great to fill up on lower calories, and carbs are great for gym energy. Other people have different experiences, so you may need to experiment to find what works for you.
  • SoUl_ReBeL2021
    SoUl_ReBeL2021 Posts: 120 Member
    Have your thyroid tested and Vitamin D, iron. That can really put the brakes on weight loss!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    - get a digital food scale. Attempt to Weigh EVERYTHING
    - cross check information from the MFP database and the nutritional information on the package, or a reputable source
    - only eat back 70% -50% of calories from workouts. MFP tends to overestimate calorie burns
    Best of luck!

This.
    OP... weigh your food. Also, barcode scanning won't guarantee accuracy. All this does is take you to a user-created entry in the food database. Check the entries against the food packaging. No cups and spoons. Weigh everything. Log cooking oils and condiments.

Can you open your diary for us?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Are you from the NW of England? You type like my old accent :)
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Sometimes It's not The calories that you are eating that is the Issue, it can be the Types of foods. For instance you can eat a WHOLE lot more shrimp, fish etc cooked on a grill and it will help you lose wt, compared to the same amount of calories in a sandwich heavy bread type. Just saying you have to look at the What you are eating too.

Wrong.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I am relieved that this is your first attempt at dieting at 21. You are about 154 pounds and you want to be about 112?

My advice is to take your time, stick to your calorie goal most of the time, and stay active so you won't end up being flabby-skinny.

Regarding how to eat, have a variety every day, have protein at every meal, and eat your fruits and veggies. Caution with fatty foods as they add up quickly. Try a new food every week.

It should take you about a year to make your goal.
  • ashley_mulvey
    ashley_mulvey Posts: 67 Member
    Are you from the NW of England? You type like my old accent :)

Yes im from liverpool hahah