Advice on Training for a 5k

Options
alfiedn
alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
Hello! I have a 5k that I'd really like to run (the whole time) on August 17th. I'm so looking forward to it. I was really good about running almost every day, but this week I am taking a class that meets all day (and teaching in the evening) and my husband and I are working on moving to a new apartment.

About two weeks ago my long run was about 2.25 miles on the treadmill. I felt pretty decent after recovering, too. I started to run outside more after that and discovered it's a whole different ball game! Outside, in the sun, my long run is closer to 1 mile (after this, I moved inside and ran another mile or so).

How much do I really need to be running right now in order to achieve my goal? I know it's not the end of the world if I have to walk a little bit, but I really don't care about the time, I just want to actually run the whole thing! Is it too much to ask at this point?

Replies

• alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Anyone? I could use some advice, please!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You're less than a month away, so your goal may be pretty aggressive.

The best advice I can give you is trying to push your long run distance out each week by .2 -.25 mile (that's about all the time you have). That'll put you over 5K on the 9th of Aug (shortly there after at .2 mi)

I'm not sure what the heat and humidity is where you're at, but I'm a bit surprised moving from the treadmill to outdoors dropped your run by over 1/2 the distance.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Also inside on the treadmill make sure you have it inclined 1 degree. Having it flat is the same as running downhill.