Is 1200 Calories To Little?

Options
littlemshepy
littlemshepy Posts: 28 Member
edited November 2016 in Food and Nutrition
My fitness pal is telling me that I should Be eating 1200 per day but I was just wondering isnt that too little?
Are any of you's on a 1200 calorie? If so how do you feel.. Any weakness?

Replies

• Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Depends on your height, weight, sex, age, and possibly other variables.

ETA: also depends on how active your lifestyle is and how much you workout.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? Starting weight? 1200 is the bare minimum.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Change your goals to one pound a week or one half pound a week if you want more calories.
  • Colt1835
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    1200 is the bare minimum.
    Usually, but OP could be extremely short for all you know.

• Aliyahsmomma
    Aliyahsmomma Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    somedays eating 1200 isnt a problem, but if i can plan ahead and know ill want to eat more ill workout a lil more.. most days i burn 600 calories and can increase my calorie intake to 1800 if i need to...
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Colt1835 wrote: »

Hence, why I asked her stats.
  • Colt1835
    Options

Yes, but you also said 1200 is the bare minimum Before knowing the first thing about the op's stats.
  • kshatriyo
    kshatriyo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My fitness pal is telling me that I should Be eating 1200 per day but I was just wondering isnt that too little?

I think with a sedentary lifestlye 1200 is enough for most people but anything below that starts to slow metabolism and cause muscle loss which is really bad for you. And that is what my doctor says. I am uncomfortable under 1400 and would imagine only 1200 per day would lead me to binge eating.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

1200 is the minimum reccomended amount of calories for women. It may not be appropriate for you to start so low unless you are very small and/or inactive. What is your age, height, weight, activity level without exercise and weekly weight loss goal?

I started with 1340 calories and lowered my goal as I lost weight. My goal is 1200 calories without exercise. I'm 5'4", 157 lbs, sedentary and 42 years old. If I exercise I eat a portion of my exercise calories like I am supposed to so really I eat between 1200-1500 more often than exactly 1200. I feel fine. I make sure I get protein, etc.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,034 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I think it is important to note that 1200 is also the minimum NET amount MFP recommends - even if OP is small, older etc and 1200 is appropriate, that is before any exercise calories are added on.

Her actual intake, presuming she does at least some exercise, should be more than that.

ETA: or like Lounmoun said ;)
  • queenliz99
    Options

Yes, but you also said 1200 is the bare minimum Before knowing the first thing about the op's stats.

Nor do you
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Even without knowing OP's stats one can say 1200 is the bare minimum MFP recommends - because it is.

Whether that bare minimum is appropriate for OP we don't know until she comes back with more background info.
  • Colt1835
    Options

Nor do you
    I'm aware I don't know the OPs stats, which is why I did not try to pretend to know her bare minimum caloric intake. Why are you trying so hard to invalidate me, when you are the one who made an assumption with no data to support it?
  • queenliz99
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Sloth2016 wrote: »

Nor do you
    I'm aware I don't know the OPs stats, which is why I did not try to pretend to know her bare minimum caloric intake. Why are you trying so hard to invalidate me, when you are the one who made an assumption with no data to support it?

Must be a full moon tonight.

I feel like I should be drinking...

I have a cold one in the fridge waiting for you! Yes?
  • Colt1835
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »

Nor do you

Must be a full moon tonight.

Not until the 14th, but it is getting closer and closer to midnight.

ETA: In my part of the world, that is.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Speaking from personal experience,.1200 is quite doable when sedentary,.stress free, drinking almost a gallon of water a day and eating nutritious, fibrous foods. If you check my diary from Thursday 11/3 you'll see what is actually a Kefir, fruit and oatmeal smoothie for breakfast, the milk in my coffee, a very large salad for lunch, and beef and lentil stew for dinner. Quite filling and did well on nutrition. If I had any kind of exercise i'd eat a little more.

11/4 was the same but its not accurate right now because I was playing with calories.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Whether 1200 is doable or not ( I'm sure it is if one is careful) is a moot point until OP returns with her stats and we ascertain that this is the appropriate number for her.
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 and have been for months. It is what mfp recommended for me too. I have found it totally doable. The first few days were a bit of a shock then I adjusted. I eat smaller meals and usually a piece of fruit between meals. If I'm hungry at night past like 8-9 I go to bed. But I had to give myself a cut off time because I've had a history of nighttime binging. You can do 1200 it just takes a little getting used to it and you'll get in the groove. All that said, if you want to lose a little bit slower, then as others said put in a slower rate of loss and you'll have a little more room in your calories.