restricted diet

Options
jlolsen516
jlolsen516 Posts: 18 Member
Hello! Does anybody have any ideas for healthy recipes that are wheat free, dairy free, seafood free, soy free, nut free, and egg free? My Doctor put me on this very restricted diet and I tried googling it, but it always comes up with recipes that only hit on one or two areas. I thought in here perhaps someone had something come to mind? Thanks!

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    What you might want to try is searching for combos of some ingredients you can eat and finding recipes that way. For example, it looks from your list that you can eat rice, chicken and vegetables. Try searching something like "chicken rice squash recipes" and then see what pops up that fits your restrictions.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You might try looking up Whole 30. This is an extremely restricted diet aimed at people who are trying to find allergy triggers and such.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Go to the website AllRecipes.com

You can input the ingredients you have (or want to use) and it will generate recipes that use those ingredients. I use it when my pantry is getting bare. :lol:
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    cauliflower rice if prepared correctly Is actually really good. I hate cauliflower lol look that up maybe. add some lime and cumin.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    jlolsen516 wrote: »
    Hello! Does anybody have any ideas for healthy recipes that are wheat free, dairy free, seafood free, soy free, nut free, and egg free? My Doctor put me on this very restricted diet and I tried googling it, but it always comes up with recipes that only hit on one or two areas. I thought in here perhaps someone had something come to mind? Thanks!

You could eat beans for protein and vegetables (plus meat, sorry I forgot). Lentils have a lot of protein as do other beans. Lentils are easy to cook but if you make them cook until soft (we lack an enzyme to digest the shell). Cook in a soup pot, simmer, drain, add stir fried vegetables and some spice. Serve with steamed leafy greens and possibly rice (can't tell if you can eat rice). One cup of lentils has 18 G of protein, the same as 3 eggs. I use garlic pepper salt instead of butter. McCormick's makes one you can shake. I stir fry/simmer vegetables in olive oil or sometimes vegetable broth.

Years ago, a doctor put my husband on a macrobiotic diet. It has some of what you're looking for, but you would have to omit the soy products, which they use for flavor.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    PennWalker wrote: »

You could eat beans for protein and vegetables, plus meat (sorry, I forgot, vegetarian here). Lentils have a lot of protein as do other beans. Lentils are easy to cook but if you make them cook until soft (we lack an enzyme to digest the shell). Cook in a soup pot, simmer, drain, add stir fried vegetables and some spice. Serve with steamed leafy greens and possibly rice (can't tell if you can eat rice). One cup of lentils has 18 G of protein, the same as 3 eggs. I use garlic pepper salt instead of butter. McCormick's makes one you can shake. I stir fry/simmer vegetables in olive oil or sometimes vegetable broth.

Years ago, a doctor put my husband on a macrobiotic diet. It has some of what you're looking for, but you would have to omit the soy products, which they use for flavor.

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    OP...what were you diagnosed with? It might help us be able to recommend some sources.

You might check out the IBS diet...or the combination of a Vegan diet and paleo diet ( I know...sounds strange). I think they eat vegan except add in some protein...called the Pegan diet.

I would suggest finding a good vegetable casserole and then adding in some protein.

What you might have to do is find a plan that is at least close to what you need and then learning to substitute the ingredients that you can't eat. It takes practice and a lot of googling but usually you can find alternatives to most ingredients.
  • jlolsen516
    jlolsen516 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    OP...what were you diagnosed with? It might help us be able to recommend some sources.

You might check out the IBS diet...or the combination of a Vegan diet and paleo diet ( I know...sounds strange). I think they eat vegan except add in some protein...called the Pegan diet.

I would suggest finding a good vegetable casserole and then adding in some protein.

What you might have to do is find a plan that is at least close to what you need and then learning to substitute the ingredients that you can't eat. It takes practice and a lot of googling but usually you can find alternatives to most ingredients.

I have Eosiniphilic Esohagitis caused by an unknown food allergy. My dr said to eliminate the 6 main foods that people have allergies to for 2 months to see if it clears up.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

I have Eosiniphilic Esohagitis caused by an unknown food allergy. My dr said to eliminate the 6 main foods that people have allergies to for 2 months to see if it clears up.

the thing is when you eliminate things all at once there is no way to know which one is causing the allergy. did he say to eliminate all and then add one thing one at a time and wait a month or two before adding another? you also need allergy testing which will help narrow some things down too as its not caused by just food allergies. I found this -http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/related-conditions/eosinophilic-esophagitis
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Some ideas - There are plenty of other grains like oats that you can try. For dairy substitutes that are nut free, there's rice milk and rice milk products -- also, the coconut palm is supposed to be OK for people with tree nut allergies since it's not at all related. See e.g.:

http://blog.onespotallergy.com/2011/03/is-coconut-safe-for-people-with-tree-nut-allergies/

For baking there are other things than eggs you can use for a binder in recipes - try searching "cooking without eggs" or "baking without eggs". I don't think there's anything that can stand in for seafood -- even the fake seafood has fish juice in it.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Look up the autoimmune paleo diet. All the recipes exclude what you mentioned except for seafood ( but that's easily avoidable). You can add whatever foods you like to the dishes like grains. Some Paleo and whole30 dishes are helpful too. You learn to substitute a lot of stuff over time. Good luck !
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Does he have you on an elimination diet where you add in things gradually? Is he an allergist? If not, you may want to see one.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

I would suggest stews, soups, and salads rather than casseroles, which very often have eggs, dairy, and/or wheat products in them to bind the ingredients together. You might be able to experiment with non-soy vegan substitutes for eggs and dairy if you want a casserole.

Or instead of one-dish meals just do a traditional protein (meat, poultry, lentils, beans other than soy) plus starch (potato, sweet potato, rice, savory oats, barley) plus veggies (sounds like OP can eat any veggies she wants). If you grill or roast the meat, and don't make gravy or other sauce that requires any of your forbidden ingredients, that's easy. You can make a sauce from pan juices - add wine or fruit juice and scrape up the cooked bits off the pan. Use non-dairy fats for cooking, finishing, and salad dressings. If you want to bread something for frying, dip in rice milk hemp milk and dredge in oat flour or other non-wheat, non-nut flour/meal. Steam, roast, or stir-fry your vegetables with non-dairy fat (e.g., olive oil).
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I've done all the food avoidance's recommended in the hope of feeling better over the last 20 years or more.

I've been dramatically helped by taking probiotic capsules. (Most probiotic products are flavoured milk based "drinks" which I could not use for many reasons). These capsules contain the microbes without too much "packaging". These are referenced on the Low Histamine Chef 's site, these are US and UK in origin. I found ones designed to take while using antibiotics were really helpful, my use was historic.

All our problems present differently, mine revolved around food and environmental pollutants. Scientific Research in the last years is indicating our immune system relies on the balance of microbes in our digestive tract to ensure only the right molecules enter our bodies so as not to cause reactions as allergies and intolerance's. Supporting ourselves with these microbes, a good broad spectrum vitamin and mineral product; the ones which helped me most also contain enzymes; as well as modifying our modern diet to feed these microbes will help immensely for many.

I'm doing so very much better, its well worth doing, please give it a try, or at least read up on this.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Salad?