Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does the body have a tendency to maintain weight?

Options
ck2307
ck2307 Posts: 21 Member
Background information: My weight loss journey began around May/June. I started at around 112-115 pounds. I was down to 105 by the end of August. Then, I adopted veganism- lost 10 pounds in a single month due to the cruelty-free diet as well as some disordered eating habits. Although I am rather short and small-framed and 95 pounds is not an unhealthy weight for my size, I decided that it was in my best interest to begin to attempt to maintain my weight. I upped my caloric intake my a very small amount and noticed that the number on the scale stopped moving downward. I was a little disheartened because I had hoped that my BMR was a bit higher.
At this point, I had been experiencing insomnia for some time and read online that eating more as well as adding more whole grains and carbohydrates to one's diet might help with sleep. So, deciding that I didn't care much if I gained a few pounds, I began to eat a few extra hundred calories a day- three meals with snacks in between and basically eating whatever I felt I wanted or my body needed. For the past few weeks with these changed eating habits, my weight has still not budged. I don't consider this a problem, but am very curious as to why no weight change has occurred.

Does the body tend to expel excess calories in the form of waste? Has my NEAT simply increased significantly? Perhaps the added energy from food has caused me to move more throughout the day? Has anyone seen or read anything interesting on this topic?

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    If you're purely talking about weight, it's Calorie in versus Calories out. It really is that simple. If humans expelled "excess calories" in the way you describe, obese people would be on exhibit in zoos as a rare creature. Fortunately, nature didn't see fit to exterminate the species this way.

• ck2307
    ck2307 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    If you're purely talking about weight, it's Calorie in versus Calories out. It really is that simple. If humans expelled "excess calories" in the way you describe, obese people would be on exhibit in zoos as a rare creature. Fortunately, nature didn't see fit to exterminate the species this way.

By that I meant when the body is presented with an excess that it is not accustomed to dealing with- not the overconsumption of calories overtime, if that makes any difference.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Are you sure that 95 pounds is not unhealthy for your size? I think that is less than my 11 year old brother.. Maybe you should be more concerned with slightly increasing your muscle mass, or get an inbody scan to check your bone density and cell health...
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You talk about disorded behaviour which makes it extremely difficult to comment on anything you've said. CICO works no matter what diet, exercise regime or anything you are influencing.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It took me a while to realise that a lot of people on these forums can not imagine a double digit weight number- and there is nothing wrong with that. Not everyone is in the 5' range with small bones and a natural low-ish muscle mass.

Yes, I admit i have trouble visualising an adult at 95lbs.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It took me a while to realise that a lot of people on these forums can not imagine a double digit weight number- and there is nothing wrong with that. Not everyone is in the 5' range with small bones and a natural low-ish muscle mass.

Yes, I admit i have trouble visualising an adult at 95lbs.

Me too...my wife is 5'2" and comes in around 125-130 currently...granted she has an athletic physique and she is one of those outliers that puts on muscle mass fairly easily relative to most females.

As to the OP...the human body strives for homeostasis...it does this by speeding up and slowing down various processes depending on available energy. This is why you don't just put on fat or lose fat overnight...a consistent deficit or surplus is required to override your body's ability to balance energy.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    In my unresearched opinion... I think that our bodies require a calorie input that is a range, not an exact number. It might only be 50 or 100 calories, but I doubt any of our bodies are so very exact (or that our calorie counting methods are so exact) as to need a specific number.

Example. Maybe I can eat between 1950 and 2050 calories to maintain. Not 1987 exactly.
    Depending on activity habits, it could be something like 1900-2300 a day, especially if I only exercise some days and not others.

What I have seen suggested before is that you add calories slowly until you gain exactly 0.5 lb in one week. Then subtract 250 calories and eat at that level. I think that would help you find what the "top" of your calorie input range is and may result in the same weight with a smidge more food. Exercise based on a regular routine during this time and maintain that level of activity afterwards too.

In terms of the 95 lb, don't sweat it too much (sorry people are giving you a hard time). My sister is 5' 0.5" (just slightly taller than you) and is 105 lb (she mentioned it since she recently found out she doesn't weigh enough to give blood). She does have a small and narrow frame, but she still has shapely thighs and a... um.. not small bosom (wow I feel like a creepy sister right now). So yes, I see that with a different body shape, 95 lb is still reasonable depending on the person. I also wouldn't be surprised if my sister weighed herself mid-day rather than in the morning.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    ck2307 wrote: »
    jolive7 wrote: »
    Are you sure that 95 pounds is not unhealthy for your size? I think that is less than my 11 year old brother.. Maybe you should be more concerned with slightly increasing your muscle mass, or get an inbody scan to check your bone density and cell health...

At 5 feet and change, 95 pounds is definitely on the low side, but within a healthy bmi range. I understand that those who are active on this site mean well, but it is extremely harmful to receive backlash every time that I mention my weight on the community forums here. It makes it very clear that I am not welcome. Even when I was ten pounds heavier, I would receive body negative comments due to nothing but a number on the scale. Every body is different. I urge you to respect that. Comments like these, as well intentioned as they may be, can be very hurtful and I do not believe that they are constructive. The question posed in my original comment was in regards to halted movement on the scale. I am just curious about health, trying to learn, and interested in anything relevant that you may have to share.

There is much more to aesthetics than weight. Have you considered incorporating weight resistance training? I workout with a pro bodybuilder and she shows two pictures of herself to (largely) female clients - one where she was killing herself with cardio and another after a year of weight training and 10 lbs heavier. She looks great in both, but amazing after she incorporated resistance training.

It's a forum where people are asking advice and giving minimal information - also consider the point that when you post something you need to write to your reader and provide enough information to put people's minds at ease. Remember you are posting on what is essentially an eating disorder site where the vast majority are eating too much. You simply happen to look like the outlier on the other side of the spectrum. Don't read too much into this or think you are not welcome.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    In my unresearched opinion... I think that our bodies require a calorie input that is a range, not an exact number. It might only be 50 or 100 calories, but I doubt any of our bodies are so very exact (or that our calorie counting methods are so exact) as to need a specific number.

Example. Maybe I can eat between 1950 and 2050 calories to maintain. Not 1987 exactly.
    Depending on activity habits, it could be something like 1900-2300 a day, especially if I only exercise some days and not others.

This is correct...

I've been in maintenance for over 3.5 years...it's definitely a range...I don't log so I pretty much know I'm not eating the same calories every day.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »

This is correct...

I've been in maintenance for over 3.5 years...it's definitely a range...I don't log so I pretty much know I'm not eating the same calories every day.

Yes, this is what I'm finding as well, now that I'm maintaining.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @cwolfman13 & @christine_72 As an FYI my avatar was taken last year in India when I was 98lbs at 5'1. Just so you can imagine it. B)
    My usual maintenance is around 102 (100-105 range)

Got to say I am old, and though I have a reasonable musculature it is more than probable that it is lower than a 20-30 year olds even though I lift.

@VeryKatie I too haven't counted in years (6-ish) and go by an inexact average.

Cheers, h.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch you look fine in your avi pic, not what i imagined that weight to look like. You also look great in the bikini pictures, how much do you weigh in those pics?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @christine_72. The bikini pics probably 102-103 as that is what I usually weigh- 105 tops.

I am the weight I was between 15-45yo. I am from a small family, me being the 'big bruiser'. If you looked in my profile there is a pic of me at 20- crouched on the beach with a baby, my now 43yo son. Same weight range 7st 7lbs but 5'. It was a month before moving to Canada so I remember all the stats they took for immigration. I've grown an inch in height :)

I don't think every person my height should be my weight- body composition varies too much for that, but I do recognise it can be an acceptable weight.

Cheers, h.
  • BananaBite
    BananaBite Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'0 and a half. I am about 117 lbs right now, which is about middle on BMI. My goal weight it to be about 105 lbs. I totally understand people not comprehending how limited petite people are in terms of weight gain. 5 lbs can set us off and up a jean size.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Does the body tend to expel excess calories in the form of waste? Has my NEAT simply increased significantly? Perhaps the added energy from food has caused me to move more throughout the day? Has anyone seen or read anything interesting on this topic?

No to the first two.
    You may be moving more. Are you using anything to measure that?
    Are you logging food and exercise? Are you weighing and measuring food? If you have been a disordered eater possibly what looks like a certain amount of calories to you is not really correct.
    If you are eating whatever you feel from day to day you probably are not consistant in your calorie intake. You may be eating more some days and a lot less other days so really even out.
    You may be gaining slowly in amounts that are not showing on the scale yet. My scale doesn't show anything less than .5 lb changes. Would your scale show it if you gained a small amount?

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Well my first thought is how long on the small increase in calories? And by eating what ever you want when ever you want mean that you do not log calorie intake?

I can see that you could be in and out of a deficit, maintain or surplus on any given day which could result in your evening out at the end of the week..

I see TDEE can always be a moving target.

So in short, are you possibly eating more or less and moving more or less on any given day? To know this tracking of your total calories through food consumption/logging and perhaps measuring your daily activities using an alternate tool may prove helpful.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    ck2307 wrote: »
    jolive7 wrote: »

At 5 feet and change, 95 pounds is definitely on the low side, but within a healthy bmi range. I understand that those who are active on this site mean well, but it is extremely harmful to receive backlash every time that I mention my weight on the community forums here. It makes it very clear that I am not welcome. Even when I was ten pounds heavier, I would receive body negative comments due to nothing but a number on the scale. Every body is different. I urge you to respect that. Comments like these, as well intentioned as they may be, can be very hurtful and I do not believe that they are constructive. The question posed in my original comment was in regards to halted movement on the scale. I am just curious about health, trying to learn, and interested in anything relevant that you may have to share.

Yes, everybody is different and I don't feel I was saying anything to make you feel unwelcome. I simply suggested a body scan to check your cell health and muscle mass as it is much more important than the number on the scale. I don't see the negativity in what I said? Muscle mass is very important and if you are on the low side for muscle mass its something everyone should look at increasing. I see this as a positive suggestion to you, especially as you say you are curious about health and trying to learn. I don't know why you took it negative but sorry if that's how you feel - did not at all mean it. Good luck.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I definitely think that the body will find a happy weight and maintain it stubbornly. I believe that the phenomenon is called set point. I'll be right back with an article on the subject.