Protein shakes

2»

Replies

• Kieta64
    Kieta64 Posts: 14 Member
    Hi, my brother suggested I try Elemental Nutrition Shredding Matrix. He used it when he was injured during Army training so he did not lose too much muscle or put on weight, whilst he could not exercise.

It comes in chocolate, vanilla and choc honeycomb. I have not tried the chocolate, but with the vanilla you can add fruit (banana, strawberry, blueberry etc) and blend it to make a fantastic meal replacement.

I love the choc honeycomb and I can use this as a snack, instead of crips or lollies, but I mainly use it instead of skipping breakfast or lunch. Just mix 1 scoop (40g) in 400ml of water or skim milk (the milk is more filling) and shake.

• alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    I enjoy pre made Premier Protein shakes. The chocolate is good. I've tried others like Muscle Milk and thought they tasted terrible.

I love the pre-made Muscle Milk shakes! They're my favorite. Premier Protein is also very good. I only like the pre-made ones. If they weren't so expensive I'd have one every day instead of coffee.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    eimaj5575 wrote: »
    Hi all. I wanting to get advice on the most tasty lean protein shakes. I ordered Idealfit the other day and they make me want to vomit. So gross. I just want something yummy enough to be able to drink. Any suggestions?

Well, the fam and I like MP combat powder cookies and cream. 2 scopes is 280 cals and 50 grams protein. When I mix it with milk (water normally) it reminds me of a vanilla milkshake.
    Even the wife likes it and she's fairly picky about taste.

• PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    1 scoop viva vanilla protein (90cal) or any van.protein
    1 small apple chopped or dole frozen cinnamon apple slices
    1/2 banana (if you want it)
    6-8 pecans
    Apple pie spice (1/2teaspoon or more to taste)
    1 cup Milk or almond milk
    Ice (lots)

Apple pie smoothie = Yum
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,110 Member
    KWlosingit wrote: »
    I don't think you get more protein from a shake. The shake shown here said it had 20 grams of protein and 170 calories. Fage 2% has 20 grams of protein and 150 calories. So same protein and less calories. That is why I wonder if people (my son is like this) automatically think that a protein shake is the best for low calorie protein when in fact that might not be true.

Yes everyone needs to do what works for them but I know people have pointed stuff out in these forums that I never knew before and that have caused me to change things in my diet.

I get over 30g per shake but thanks for your concern. I'm going to keep doing whar works for me. You do you
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,110 Member
    eimaj5575 wrote: »
    Hi all. I wanting to get advice on the most tasty lean protein shakes. I ordered Idealfit the other day and they make me want to vomit. So gross. I just want something yummy enough to be able to drink. Any suggestions?

Well, the fam and I like MP combat powder cookies and cream. 2 scopes is 280 cals and 50 grams protein. When I mix it with milk (water normally) it reminds me of a vanilla milkshake.
    Even the wife likes it and she's fairly picky about taste.

Gonna have to try that one
  • mmschneider429
    mmschneider429 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi Everyone! I'm new to MFP and really love seeing the types of protein shakes people are making or buying. I started with Optimum Nutrition Gold which we bought at Costco in Chocolate and Vanilla. I like protein shakes for the convienence. I mix in unsweetened vanilla almond milk and like them. We recently bought a VitaMix and love the protein smoothies that we have made. Does anyone have any good recipes to share? My fav is powdered peanut butter and coco powder with banana, almond milk and protein.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Why does everyone on here seem to drink protein shakes. Why not just have some plain greek yogurt, like Fage 2% or 0%? You can add grated 100% chocolate and Stevia and it tastes so awesome or fruit if that is your thing.

Seemed like an OK question to me. There are plenty of folks on here who come on the forums with the idea that protein shakes are necessary for weight loss (they aren't). No harm is asking why, especially with OP saying she didn't like the ones she tried.
    Sounds like OP wants them for other reasons, like easy options on the go.
    I personally like Fitmiss, though Tera''s Whey isn't too bad, either. Optimum Nutrition seems to be the one that's very popular here on the boards, so maybe give that one a shot, too.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I don't think you get more protein from a shake. The shake shown here said it had 20 grams of protein and 170 calories. Fage 2% has 20 grams of protein and 150 calories. So same protein and less calories. That is why I wonder if people (my son is like this) automatically think that a protein shake is the best for low calorie protein when in fact that might not be true.

Yes everyone needs to do what works for them but I know people have pointed stuff out in these forums that I never knew before and that have caused me to change things in my diet.

My Biochem Natural Whey has 20 g of protein for 90 calories and is free of artificial hormones including rBST and rBGH, something we can debate in the Debate forum if needed ;).

Yogurt alone doesn't fill me up - I need more fat and fiber. And so I have protein smoothies with fruit, veggies, chia seeds, and more.

Biochem Ultimate 100 % Whey protein, Natural ingredients: Whey protein isolate, Natural French vanilla flavor, sunflower lecithin, xanthan gum.

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    I use whey protein to hit my protein intake goal as it would be very unpleasant trying to ingest over 2lbs of chicken a day. MyProtein is my preferred brand for value and flavour.