Options
Stats:
Male
6'0
170lbs
9%>body fat
Goal:
185lbs 8%> lean body mass

My plan is to bulk up from 170lb to 195lb then cut back down to 185lb. So far I've been gaining about 2lbs a month and making gains. My question is, should I continue this pace or speed it up? At this rate, I won't hit 195 for another 12 months... which is fine because I'm in no rush, but I don't want to waste time if I could be making faster gains. This is my first year really lifting btw.

Currently eating about 2900-3000 calories a day. (I usually eat 3000 calories per day, but if I feel that I'm gaining weight too fast, or I had a binge weekend, I'll bring it back down to 2900 for a week or so and that usually helps slow down the process)

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well it's definitely theoretically possible. Post bulk, if you maintain 50/50 fat/muscle ratio, you would get around 167 lbs of lean body mass at around 15% body fat. Cutting back down 10 lbs, if you don't lose any lbm, will put you around 185 @ 10%. The biggest questions comes down to; 1. can you maintain this for a year, 2. can you continue to train hard consistently for that period, and 3. are you ok with the way your body will look for that period.

You are in a good pace, but if you want, you can break it up into chucks if you can't adhere or like the way your body looks. But pending you have a good training program, then you have a good plan.
  • wallyr1
    wallyr1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You mean 197 not 167 right?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You mean 197 not 167 right?

Based on your current numbers you would have around 154 lbs of lbm. If you gained 25 lbs at roughly 50% muscle you would have 167 lbs of lbm; give or take a few lbs for glycogen capacity changes and other non muscle lbm changes.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you are happy with your progress and not in a rush then keep going. If you gain faster, you will add more fat and then have to diet longer at the end.