How long will it take me to lose weight?

Options
Hello, I'm currently on a "diet" with a plan to lose a stone or slightly less.
I started on Monday, weighing 10.4 stone (about 66.4kg) and now I weigh 10.25 stone (about 65.1kg). My goal is to weigh about 60-62kg.
I am 18 years old and I'm 5'8". Since I'm a teenager my way of thinking throughout my entire life was "I'll eat whatever I want now and be healthy when I grow up." This was a stupid idea of course as I would just binge eat junk food, eating various packets of crisps, chocolate bars and other fattening foods. I didn't care about the calories, just about the taste. I also didn't care about having a diverse diet. Vegetables were never part of my eating plan and neither was fruit or anything remotely healthy (even fish).
Everyone around me was constantly watching their weight and I never understood why until now. I realised that eating that sort of food is good in moderation but that eating healthy is much better for my body. To lose what I have lost in the space of 5 days, all I did was cut out all the junk food and replace it will healthy food and start being slightly more active (I.e. walking more). I eat 3 times a day with small snacks in between most of the time and my calorie count is now 1200 a day. How much weight will I lose just by changing my eating habits?
What can I do better? I know that I'm a healthy weight even now but I just think that I'd enjoy myself much more if I were at a weight that I like and that I'd feel much more confident.
Please give me tips on how to lose weight.
Thank you in advance.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would say would be to up your calories. With that little to lose and being at a BMI, it's best to lose about a quarter of a kg (half a pound) a week. It's hard to say how long it'll take though, because we don't know your current activity level and weight loss is not linear.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    It sounds like you have most things in place. You are already at a healthy weight, which means that you don't have a lot of fat on you, which means that any weight loss will be slow. You can eat more, and you probably should, because you are quite tall, and you will still lose weight when you aim for a calorie deficit (intake below your TDEE (you can estimate that number on various calculators online)) as long as you log accurately.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    6-7 months
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    6-7 months

Agree
  • Travis_GM
    Travis_GM Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    There are faster ways of losing weight. I won't post them here though because I'll probably get chastised for it.

Might I suggest checking out Lyle McDonald? Dude's a genius. I always encourage people to figure out things on their own... if you have the motivation and put in due diligence, not only will you lose weight but also gain wisdom.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    From my experience, it depends. It could be less than 6 to 7 months as YOLOboi19 committed, or exactly 6 to 7 months as shared by jemhh + gebeziseva or in cases like mine, where I was constantly losing at a steady pace then NADA. I stalled for 3 months.

Eat Train Progress Group helped me jump start my losses. I recommend it highly :http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/10118-eat-train-progress