Overeating

Options
Omg I left hull on 16th October, was ill with flu for two weeks but for the past week I have been overeating. It's not like me to do this. I've put 15 lbs back on even though I'm trying to eat healthy. One too many dumplings with stew don't help either. Plus chocolate. I need to stay clear of it as I have insulin dependant type 2 diabetes along with under active thyroid.
I need to put my mind into gear and my legs into gear to do more walking. I love walking.
I just need more encouragement. My son and both decided that January 1st we are going to give slim fast a go to see how things are. He works away on funfair so I just know he'll still eat burgers and takeaways. When I work away with him I have chicken wraps or make up sandwiches for myself. It's when I'm at home I'm bad. Xx

Replies

• Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Compete with yourself to walk a little more every day. Start a list of steps or time or distance and try to beat your own records. Walk somewhere new, take your usual route but walk it in the opposite direction - have some fun!

Why wait until January to make changes? Whether it's an occasional slim-fast meal replacement shake or making better portion control choices, you may as well start today. Eating too much is at least as important as eating healthier.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I've put 15 lbs back on even though I'm trying to eat healthy.
    This is the story almost everybody keeps telling - trying to follow some undefinably "healthy" diet/regimen, that doesn't take personal preferences/schedule/social/family life/job situation into account, and even restrictive so that you don't get in all the nutrition you need. You get bored, maybe hungry, get cravings, cheat, and finally give up and go back to what you like.

My son I and both decided that January 1st we are going to give slim fast a go to see how things are. He works away on funfair so I just know he'll still eat burgers and takeaways. When I work away with him I have chicken wraps or make up sandwiches for myself. It's when I'm at home I'm bad.
    This sounds like a terrible idea. Slimfast is not going to fix your problems with food. You will lose some weight as long as you stick to the regimen, but what will you do afterwards? If you have trouble sticking to an "ordinary" boring/healthy diet, Slimfast will make you go crazy.

Instead, this is my suggestion: Set up MFP to lose [the closest equivalent to 1% of your body weight] per week. The calorie goal MFP gives you, is your main goal. Do what you need to do to stick to that, every day. From today. Plan your meals. You can prelog in the food diary so you can see what impact different amounts of different foods have. Make sure you plan meals you will want to eat, so that you won't be tempted to eat something else. Buy what you need for the meals you have planned, and nothing else, because you don't need anything else when you have planned well. If you cook (and I think cooking is great), use the recipe builder. At any rate, log everything, honestly and consistently. This will teach you what works and what doesn't. Over time, you'll automatically do more of the things that work, and less of the things that don't work. Oh, and you'll lose weight and keep it off. And feel better.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    You're on the right track.. identifying you have a problem and why. You need to keep on with that. Figure out how to make things work for yourself. Don't be a food victim or feel helpless. because you are not helpless or a victim.. you are in total control and you are doing what you choose.

Once you face it is 100 percent up to you... then you can find your solution. It is just hard work to make the changes needed. It is a process and it takes work You can do it.