No eating after 7

Options
Well, that is my goal this week. I work 12-hour shifts and I get home around 7:30. My goal is to not come home and eat! Anyone else make weekly goals like this?

Replies

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Just curious- any reason why? Are you able to eat enough during your shift?
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Only if I've eaten my allotment of calories already. When I worked 12 hour shifts I never had enough time to eat much so I crammed it in whenever I could which was usually right before bed.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    My continuing goals are to not exceed my daily calorie goal and to get 100 grams of protein a day.

Sometimes I set weekly goals too like to eat a certain amount of veggies/greens a day, or to get in at least 5 workouts.

Good habits and consistency make it possible to achieve long term goals :)

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I have weekly goals in FitBit.
  • Wannabmarathoner
    Wannabmarathoner Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Ninerbuff, I can always count on you to attempt to squelch my goals. Just trying to be a healthier better version of me, not looking for arguments.
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I can see your point, from someone who also works a lot of hours I know where your coming from. I have tried intermittent fasting, but the problem is getting home so late means I have to wait till 1 to eat my first meal.
    I think if you can meat your nutritional goals while working you have a great plan.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Well, that is my goal this week. I work 12-hour shifts and I get home around 7:30. My goal is to not come home and eat! Anyone else make weekly goals like this?

It's not a goal right now, but recently I ate in a window from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and found it really helpful. It cut out a bunch of night snacking I didn't need. I might go back to trying this for a while. Your idea of a weekly goal is a good one.
  • delicaterealms
    delicaterealms Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't eat past 6 pm for intermittent fasting. It helps tons with bloating, eating late, and more. So, I reach my calorie goal by around 5 pm. If I eat past 6 pm (7-8ish) then I'll start eating at that time again in the morning.
    The key concept is to have 12 hours for eating and 12 hours for fasting.
  • Wannabmarathoner
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Ninerbuff, I can always count on you to attempt to squelch my goals. Just trying to be a healthier better version of me, not looking for arguments.
    My point would be is if you're not reaching your calorie goal after your 12 hours of work, not eating after 7pm isn't going to make you healthier. The body is REALLY smart on it's own when it comes to processing nutrients and calories. And if you end up under eating consistently before 7pm, then you're compromising your health more than optimizing it.
    If you've reached your calorie goal by 7pm, then by all means quit eating.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I understood the first time
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

I'm not sure how you thought his comment was argumentative. It was just a statement. He certainly wasn't trying to squelch your goals. If you don't want to eat after 7 by all means go for it if that helps you.
  • Wannabmarathoner
    Options
    dbkyser wrote: »
    I can see your point, from someone who also works a lot of hours I know where your coming from. I have tried intermittent fasting, but the problem is getting home so late means I have to wait till 1 to eat my first meal.
    I think if you can meat your nutritional goals while working you have a great plan.

Yeah and I struggle with that. I basically have breakfast, lunch, and dinner when I'm at work and I need to figure out a good system which allows me to take it to work, otherwise I indulge in unhealthy deliciousness from the cafeteria which is just steps away from our lounge.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

Yeah and I struggle with that. I basically have breakfast, lunch, and dinner when I'm at work and I need to figure out a good system which allows me to take it to work, otherwise I indulge in unhealthy deliciousness from the cafeteria which is just steps away from our lounge.

Can you save some of your calories to use up when you get home. Are you eating your dinner to early and actually need a snack
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options

Bring large quantities of fruit to snack on when you have urges to. Just make sure it isn't some of the more calorie-dense ones. My recent loves are peaches and pineapples.

But I also don't really understand the "Don't eat after 7" bit just so you don't eat when you get off work. If willpower is an issue for snacking, you'll need to work on that for your long-term goal. Need to be sustainable.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I agree with above posters. If you eat your calories at work, that is fine. But to set an absolute rule like this can actually lead to the opposite due to the concept of "wanting something you can't have." Instead, I would think of it more like "I have consumed my calories for the day and should not consume more." Unless you're interested in intermittent fasting, there's really no additional reason for 7.

I also want to point out that if you think Niner was "squashing you goals," the forums might not be the place for you if you're that sensitive. He was being straight forward and informative. Not everyone will agree with you, especially when there's no scientific proof of benefits of what you're suggesting.
  • Wannabmarathoner
    Options
    Thanks guys!!
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have an eating "curfew" but it does not prevent me from getting my calories in. More as a behavioral strategy to re-train myself away from TV snacking. Works for me, I am pretty much out of the habit and have herbal tea in the evenings.
  • Wannabmarathoner
    Options
    I have an eating "curfew" but it does not prevent me from getting my calories in. More as a behavioral strategy to re-train myself away from TV snacking. Works for me, I am pretty much out of the habit and have herbal tea in the evenings.
    That's a great idea. I may try this 'tea strategy'. Thanks!