How can I stop eating sweets??

Options

Replies

• LillysMomma09
    LillysMomma09 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I buy Italian Popsicles, they are low calorie and perfect for me in the evenings when I get that sweet tooth.
    Good luck to you!
  • tinamarie6624
    tinamarie6624 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I eat some fruit at night and it helps to quench the sweet craving in a natural way.
  • achhun02
    achhun02 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just know if you keep eating it you will keep craving it, literally. Once you break the habit it will be easier and from there it's all about moderation.
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues about sweets. Find a new sweet that you don't crave but still satisfies. If you are like me, you have your 'go to' faves that once you start, you cannot stop. Don't keep those around. I like to sip on sweet protein shakes that fill me up and satisfy that craving.
  • Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    If I get plenty of lean protein during the day, I don't crave sweets as much. Oddly enough, it also helped to stop using artificial sweeteners....

Good luck!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Diet soda, Mio, malitol sweetened hard candy, stevia drops for your water.

See how long you can take to finish a single hard candy. Check out the calories. It's not so bad if you hold yourself back from eating them by a handful.
  • Grathiael
    Grathiael Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am also into sweets, especially chocolates. But I have recently managed to stop "wanting" them by not including them in my cart when I go grocery shopping. But of course, I didn't do it all at once. I started by eliminating some of my favorites and then another and another as months go by. So I guess the key is to just stop buying them so you have no other choice but not to eat them. Again, moderation is the key .. plus MINDFULNESS.
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have a serious sugar addiction. My meals are all super healthy but I've gained weight from eating 500g bars of chocolate before work at least twice a week for a lonnnnggg time. I really struggle, but I find fitting a small chocolate biscuit bar (those that are around 99cals) into my calories (and my sugar goal) as supper with a cup of tea most nights has helped a lot. I also have fruit snacks in the day if I'm craving too much. I intend to cut the biscuit bar before bed out eventually but right now it's helping.
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Do not buy them to have around in your house. Buy fresh fruits and veges instead. I have been doing a bootcamp for the past 4 weeks and the biggest change I did was eat more protein and less carbs throughout the day. Now, I don't have the strong craving for sweets like I used too. Don't get me wrong, I occasionally have a sweet, but I just don't crave them like I used too. In fact, I tried to eat a cupcake at a wedding last weekend and it tasted like crap....TASTED LIKE CRAP!!! Who says that?!?! :)
  • caloriecounter770
    Options
    I have this issue too! But I made myself a rule that I can only eat desserts with pure stevia. This helps because it cuts out a lot of things that are offered to me and I have to make stuff myself. That being said, I will just sit there with my stevia and mix it with pure cocoa powder at night. Or mixing confectioners Swerve with butter and cocoa powder =frosting!! Idk if this is a good development or bad... Haha baby steps...
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    Sugar is addictive.

It makes the sugar in your blood go up. Then you create way to much insuline to deal with the sudden sugar. The insuline makes your blood sugar drop lower than before the sweets. Then you crave them again because your blood suger is too low.

Dealing with sugar cravings is tough. Still, it's possible. Until two years agao I ate lots of sweets and didn't feel well about it. It took three days without sugar to stabilise my blood sugar level, and since then I eat very little, and don't miss it much.

Do give it a try, just 72 hours!
  • krissy5686
    krissy5686 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I can't keep them in the house. My husband does, and I've asked that he keep them in a different place (not in the pantry). It's tough though around holidays. When I do REALLY crave something sweet at night, I CANNOT just sit down with the container. That is a recipe for eating the whole thing before I even blink. But if I take the time to portion it out and put it on a plate, it works for me.

I also try to keep something sweet that is a bit healthier around. My go to is 1 unsalted rice cake with PB2 on it. Does the trick for me. Or I drink a glass of water, wait 10 minutes or so and then decide if I really *was* so hungry. Good luck!
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Don't buy them in the first place, particularly ones that trigger you to eat more than your intended.

I also throw them in the freezer if they're lying around from some event.
  • astroamy
    astroamy Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Yea, I try to not have them around and freeze them. I also set short term goals about sweets and reward myself for sticking with it. I had been indulging too much, and sweets are definitely my gateway food, so I decided no sweets until Thanksgiving and if I stick with it I get to buy a pair of shoes I have my eye on. So far, so good, its been 5 days with no sweets. Of course you have to know yourself, I've done this before and it works relatively well for me, I don't binge when I can have sweets again because I'm used to not having sweet things constantly so things taste sweeter and I can have reasonable portions and be OK with it.
  • krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have candy from Halloween, and it's been horrible! I have been trying to keep to frozen fruit. I put some in the fridge to thaw in the morning and I eat it as my after work snack when I get home. It's sweet enough for me without making me binge because I can only eat what I put out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If you've gained 5 Lbs in three weeks eating sweets at night, it's not because of the sweets...it's because you're eating the holly hell out of the sweets...that's not called eating, that's called binging.

At any rate...don't buy them...don't keep them in your house if you can't keep yourself from massive sweet binges.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I know I'm probably gonna get slammed for this but here's what I did. I started drinking water with sugar free fruit flavored liquid drops in it (kool-aid, crystal light etc.). That helped. Yes I know artificial sweetners aren't good for me but neither was the sugar. I have pretty much kicked my candy habit now. I still indulge occasionally in sugar free candy but one or two pieces (10 cal each). Good luck.
  • saira1979
    saira1979 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice here i really agree with the poster who said if you eat loads of carbs and sugar you crave it more! Its true. I dont advocate no carb coz icouldnt sustain long term, and dont think its normal tocut out a whole food group for life. But if ppl want to hey live and let live!

im not crazy for sweets but occasionallyiwant a cream cake or a chox bar. Sunday is my free day, i eat healthy except for one meal where i xan choose what i like. I dont gorge though i stick to a portion. That day if i fancy a dessert or choc illhavr it. Its not increased my weight.

but i do find i dont feel as great afterwards feel like a slob lol but i still think a treat once a week ia better than binging all week.

If you have sweets at home andcant control yourself throw them out buy them for yourself or kids once a week and keep toa portion.

Dammit youve reminded me of jellybeans i love them.....
  • brussell_n_flow
    brussell_n_flow Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I curb my sweet tooth sometimes with 60% cacao chocolate chips (8-16 Ghirardelli chips) a little sweetened coconut flakes, and a few almonds microwaved in a mug. Tastes like an almond joy! Paleo, fiber filled, and protein too to satisfy and fill you up.
  • prbford64
    prbford64 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've been a "sugar monster" since childhood - I'm early 50's now. Weight not a problem when I was younger, but after I turned 45, that wasn't the case & I gained a lot of weight due to how I was eating - low fat and high carbs. June 2016 I began learning about a ketogenic way of eating, and since then, I'm down 50 lbs...the cravings for sweets disappeared almost immediately (as in, within a day or 2) when I started eating keto - it's the fat that keeps you satiated and combats cravings. Lots of folks will tell you a ketogenic way of eating is bad...do your own homework and see if it's right for you. A good place to learn more about the SCIENCE behind ketogenic diets is dietdoctor.com (great site but a cheesey name, IMO). Ketogenic eating flies in the face of everything we've had crammed down our throats about "healthy eating", ie, a low fat diet high in fruits and veggies, but we can see how well THAT's been working over the last 40 years, can't we?