Fit shaming

Options
If you're lucky, all those around you are supportive of your health and fitness goals. It is more common, as I've experienced and read on here, that at some point you'll be fit shamed. It's happening to me frequently now by a family member so cutting all ties with the person not possible. So I'm posting this to offer how I am handling it in hopes it helps someone dealing with a similar situation.
We all have just 24 hours each day, filled with "have to's", so the precious time we have left for our "want to's" I call it "f's to give". Is the person in your life worth one of your "f's"? Or is your time better spent on a workout or time with positive people or time with yourself. Even if you have to be in the same room with negativity doesn't mean you have to up one of your "f's" . Learning to emotionally detach is an empowering thing!
When a hurtful or ignorant statement is made by that person respond with total indifference to what was said, a silent shrug to which they cannot comment back to works wonders.
Wishes all a great day!

Replies

• ElizaD1313
    ElizaD1313 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    SMILE!!! be as lovely as possible in response to nastiness or negativity. I work in a bookies, it's hilarious how much it drives them mad
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Sounds like "boundaries" to me. I agree.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    What is "fit shaming?"
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    A number of people on here who are guilty of this! Usually people who could use the information being provided.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    What is "fit shaming?"

It's when a person is subjected to ridicule because they are exercising, making healthy food choices and losing weight or recomping.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    lauracups wrote: »
    What is "fit shaming?"

It's when a person is subjected to ridicule because they are exercising, making healthy food choices and losing weight or recomping.

And this is a thing?

Not among those I associate with.

But then ... I do work in a health field and most of my coworkers are active. And I am a member of a cycling club. And most of my family is active.

At times, it almost gets a bit competitive.

As an example ... my department set up a step challenge for a month from mid-October to mid-November. They had to delay the start of the challenge by a few days because so many people signed up, they didn't have pedometers for us all. Last time I looked, there were 136 teams ranging in size from 3-8 people each. Many have the full 8. In fact, on my floor, I tried to get into some teams, but they were all full. Fortunately, one was created at the last minute and I got into it, but about 15 minutes later it was full too. And most of those 136 teams have been quite competitive ... we're all pretty close!

That's the atmosphere I live and work in, so fit shaming is just not something I've come across at all.

Unfortunately it's a huge thing have you heard of the fit shamed mom? It seems to be that there is a movement within the fat acceptance movement that does not want to see anyone trying to lose weight or they will deem someone who is fit as someone who is trying to fat shame simply by the good examples they are living. I think it's awesome that you are surrounded in an environment contrary to that!:)
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I've had that a couple of times at the yoga studio. I just smile and try to ignore the comments.

Fit shamed in a fitness class?? That's on a whole new level!
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    What is "fit shaming?"

And this is a thing?

But then ... I do work in a health field and most of my coworkers are active. And I am a member of a cycling club. And most of my family is active.

As an example ... my department set up a step challenge for a month from mid-October to mid-November. They had to delay the start of the challenge by a few days because so many people signed up, they didn't have pedometers for us all. Last time I looked, there were 136 teams ranging in size from 3-8 people each. Many have the full 8. In fact, on my floor, I tried to get into some teams, but they were all full. Fortunately, one was created at the last minute and I got into it, but about 15 minutes later it was full too. And most of those 136 teams have been quite competitive ... we're all pretty close!

That's the atmosphere I live and work in, so fit shaming is just not something I've come across at all.

I feel like there's a good chance you live in Colorado?
  • Machka9
    edited November 2016
    Options
    What is "fit shaming?"

And this is a thing?

I feel like there's a good chance you live in Colorado?

I live approx. 14,200 kilometres away from Colorado.

And in answer to someone else's question, I have never heard of the 'fit shamed mom'.

I actually thought this was going to be about what goes on in my office ... where I'll come to work on a Monday, having done a 10 km hike and 60 km bicycle ride, and I feel just a tiny bit inadequate because my boss has won yet another gold medal in body building and another co-worker has done a challenging, hilly 240 km cycling event.

But that is kind of motivating ... it pushes me on to do even more!

As for the other ... I'm a long distance cyclist. Like ultra-distances. And I've been into randonneuring/audax etc, since 2001. People have always thought I was a little bit nuts for doing those kind of events, and all the training that goes into that. I embrace that!! :mrgreen: Yes, I probably am a little bit crazy. But we can't all be the same ... doing the same things as everyone else. Some of us have to push our limits and really live life!

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I have experienced this even while pregnant. It's so weird when you are huge and pregnant and someone looks or makes a weird fit comment at you. People suck for the most part.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    What is "fit shaming?"

It is a thing. My female boss, then coworker, at more than double my weight, told me she didn't like women that work out. I was trying to get to know her. Only other female at work. No such luck. My fit was offensive.
  • Machka9
    Options
    I've had that a couple of times at the yoga studio. I just smile and try to ignore the comments.

Fit shamed in a fitness class?? That's on a whole new level!

Yeah, unfortunately. A couple of the girls there have told me that my abs are showing because I never eat things like chocolate cake, which means I can't enjoy life (which is not true, since I have dessert almost every day). They've also said I'm the trainer's "favorite person" because I always do all the exercises, no matter how hard they are, and I never complain (yes, I push myself because I have certain goals). And they've also said that I have no social life because I'm there 3 days a week (I always hang out with my friends on the weekends).

I never expected that I would experience something like that in a fitness class. But it's definitely a thing.

But ... what does it matter what they think? They don't matter. You've got to live your life the way you want to live it. Just laugh at them. :lol:

People made comments like that to me when I was really heavily into long distance cycling (I'm working back up to that again now :) ) ... that I didn't have a life because I was cycling so much, etc. etc.. But I was the one coming to work on a Monday morning with the stories of where I'd been and what I'd done that weekend ... and they were there telling us ... well, nothing ... because they didn't do anything. I was the one travelling the world, and seeing stuff, and meeting people ... and they were doing ... nothing. So their comments ... <<shrug shoulders>>. I'd rather be me! :)