Up 5 lbs in one night? Is this normal after a large meal?

Options
I hate a lot of crap food yesterday - full of salt and grease and what not. I'm sure it wasn't enough to gain 1lb though so definitely not 5 (in the way of calories in a 24hr period and I hadnt eaten all day). So is this "normal" for me to gain that? Should it shed in the next few days?

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! I think mine used to fall off in a few days or a week...but 5lbs is a lot to go up in a day so I was kind of shocked lol. Hopefully you're right and it falls off @avskk I drink a lot of water anyway, so maybe that will help speed up the process.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Completely normal. I go up three to six pounds after a day of increased eating
  • Verity1111
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »

Thank you for the reassurance!! I lost 9lbs in the last 3 weeks. I don't want them back. lol.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm up a couple pounds more than I "should" be today. More food and more waste in my system than usual. Totally normal.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate that much all the time. There's no way you gained 5lb of fat unless you ate 17500 calories over maintenance. It's just water. Either wrapped up in your glycogen stores, which will run down in a day or two if you stick to your usual deficit, or retained due to the extra salt, which will be peed out quite quickly if you drink plenty. Nothing to concern yourself about at all.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »

Thank you for the reassurance!! I lost 9lbs in the last 3 weeks. I don't want them back. lol.

So...are you eating at such a deficit that you are trying to lose 3 pounds/week?
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Yep. Salty huge meal can = 5 pounds. Happens to me often. 3 days at my usual deficit and it pees away.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I can easily go up five pounds after Chinese food and if I'm ovulating or premenstrual.
  • micayla75
    micayla75 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

So...are you eating at such a deficit that you are trying to lose 3 pounds/week?

I am assuming she lost 9 pounds in her first 3 weeks, which isn't all that uncommon for someone who just started losing weight.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Omg yes, we had a holiday weekend here two weeks ago and I'm still trying to refuse the effects of it :(
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yep a night out to dinner and add dessert = 5 or pounds more for me.. Takes about 4 days to even back out.
  • Verity1111
    Options

Um not really no. I ate fast food every single day for one of those weeks. I was not planning on it, but it kind of happened. I was trying to eat a deficit and I did on the other days.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Also Im starting over 200lbs so losing 3lbs a week isnt that serious
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

Thanks for clarifying.
  • Verity1111
    Options

Thanks for clarifying.

No problem. I'm also only 26 and my metabolic rate has always been kind of quick. So I probably lose easier than some people.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yes. Salt. Carb load. Drink lots of water. Eat sensibly. You'll lose it in a few days.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Water weight. I was up 9lbs on sunday after my re-feed day.