What body fat am I?

Options
Trying to work out my approx body fat and see if I should bulk or cut. Any feesk1nd2ab8uda.jpg
dback welcome

Replies

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Somewhere around 14-16%?
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    Somewhere around 14-16%?

Yea I was gonna guess 15%.
  • mparry79
    mparry79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you, a bulk or cut then?
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    What do you want? more definition, then a slow cut. Get bigger, then a bulk and a cut (much more work). Personally I would just stay the same, you look great, eat the same and keep lifting heavier.
  • mparry79
    Options
    Thanks seem to have hit a bit of a wall and struggling to eat more and lift heavier. Just looking for a new goal to work towards.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    What lifting program are you currently following? Maybe you would enjoy switching programs and lifting at maintenance calories for a bit. There might be something you would like to try from this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • mparry79
    Options
    Thanks I'll have a look, currently doing a 3 day split push, pull then legs and abs
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Never go on a cut during the holidays unless you're in my shape lol. Do a slow lean bulk, and then around Feb. start slimming down for the summer.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Alright look, I'm a pure numbers guy. I've tried the whole let's go by look and feel? I've realized with experience, that pure numbers coupled with look and feel is the way to go my friend, and it's easy! What's the point of just guessing. I'm not sure what your goals are? If you want to be bigger than you will have to bulk and when you bulk you will put on some fat so you have to deal with that. If you're not willing to deal with getting some fat on than you'll pretty much stay where you're at. Once you've reached your limit of how big you got, then you can slowly start to cut, but you don't want to bulk and cut and be right where you started so you have to do this all methodically. But get yourself a handheld body fat analyzer. I got mine from amazon. Is it the gold standard of body fat % measurement? NO. But it's convenient and with every method of measurement, if you use the same tool and measure the same time of day your pattern of numbers are the same. For example, if you see on the body fat analyzer that you're 12% and you then try it a week later and see you're 13%, it's still a 1% increase no matter what tool you use. And I'm sure people on here will disagree with me but to me it makes sense. Anyways to get the best results you MUST measure yourself and that means, waiste, arms, chest, stomach, body fat %, and weight. You do what you want to do obviously but this is from experience of trial and error and I've gone the "look" approach and it did not work...numbers usually match the look, but it's more definitive, and will help you figure out how to adjust your plan.
  • se015
    Options
    But back to answering your original question, to me it looks like you should bulk. You look very lean and while you have plenty of muscle I think you can build more muscle and have more size. Just MY opinion, but I and trying to be bigger, it depends on YOUR goals and what YOU want, but if that were me, I'd want to be bigger, but some people like being lean. Up to you.
  • se015
    Options
    So what do you use to measure your bf %? Do you do the calipers? I have a hard time using those and you have to pinch all different areas and do some type of math formula, takes too long for me so that's why I like the handheld device. The gold standard is to really do the under water test from my understanding, but who has the time or money to do that every month, week or whatever?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Dexa Scan is the gold standard, otherwise I just go by look and feel.
  • se015
    Options
    Idk how you can say that look and feel is more accurate than any measurement tool, but okay it obviously has worked for you so I can't say you're wrong lol, but I just honestly don't see how that method would be better than using any type of measurement tool for that matter. OP, different people have different ways of measuring, whatever helps you succeed the most is the answer here, but for me numbers help me figure out my plan and how to execute it, before I didn't measure anything and saw little to no results, since using numbers, I"ve been able to get closer to my goals.
  • Hornsby
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Because if I am using a tool that is just spitting out numbers with no real accuracy, what is the point? There are just too many variables for BIA. Hell, Dexa has issues as well. The fact is, without an autopsy, no one will know with 100% accuracy. I just happen to think that most trained people can look at someone and guess with more accuracy than a BIA scale.

And yes, I can say the same for you as whatever you are doing is working as well. Just a discussion :) and if you like you BIA device, carry on. It's just not my thing.

I mean, I'm a recomper and everyone tells me it's sooooo slow, and all that jazz, but I just keep on pressing away. Lol. Recomp isn't everyone's thing.
  • mparry79
    Options
    I use a Fitbit aria scale and the results vary so much dependent on various factors like hydration it's mad. One day it can say 10% 2 hours later that has become 14.8%!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    No offense OP but it looks closer 20% to me because that's the way I looked at that level.

I'm now at 16-16.9% (depending on which testing method you believe) and I've got more visible abs and more muscular dfn generally than you do in the photo.

As another member suggested, if you want to know for "sure" (w/in a reasonable degree of error -- around 5%) get a DXA scan or get weighed hydrostatically.

That's what I've been doing every month for the past 3 months and plan to do that for at least the next 3.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    No chance the OP is 25%
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    No offense OP but it looks closer 20-25% to me. I'm at 16-16.9% (depending on which testing method you believe) and I've got more visible abs and more muscular dfn generally than you do.

As another member suggested, if you want to know for "sure" (w/in a reasonable degree of error -- around 5%) get a DXA scan or get weighed hydrostatically.

Not even close to 20%. About 15% is almost certainly where he is.

As such, a cut would probably be a good idea at this point. Get down to 10-12% - or wherever you want, really - and then start bulking again. That, or maintain for a while.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    No offense OP but it looks closer 20% to me because that's the way I looked at that level.

I'm now at 16-16.9% (depending on which testing method you believe) and I've got more visible abs and more muscular dfn generally than you do in the photo.

That's what I've been doing every month for the past 3 months and plan to do that for at leadt the next 3.

No way...at 20-25% you're going to have a visible belly and love handles...love handles start to disappear around 15-16%...I'd say 15% is probably about right.