Plantar fasciitis

Options
jemhh
jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
If you have had plantar fasciitis, did you find that you need to stay off of your foot (no exercise walking/running) entirely to see improvement or did you find that stretching was enough to help it improve while you kept up with normal exercise activity?

I am just moving from twice weekly to once weekly PT for Achilles tendinitis in my left ankle. Throughout it, my doctor and PT have said that I can do whatever activity does not cause more than a 4-5 level of pain. For me that has meant that I could do everything I normally do exercise-wise.

Starting about Wednesday of last week I was getting a dull pain in my right heel. By Friday it was more pronounced and from my reading it sounds like plantar fasciitis. It also seems like the treatment is mostly stretching so I am thinking I can try it at home without going to see a doctor or PT. I am just wondering if I should be holding back on taking walks on nonlifting days

Replies

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The first thing that helped mine heal was what I did first thing in the morning. Before I even got out of bed. It heals a bit overnight, then when you wake up and put pressure on it you tear it again. So when you get up first thing DON'T put pressure on it. They actually have a foot brace for this. Get one and use it when you get up. Obviously we all have a common need to hit the john first thing so do that then go sit down. Avoid walking directly on the sole of that foot, keep your heel off the ground if you don't get the foot splint. I have a cylindrical shaped wooden block that I use. Some people like to use a glass bottle filled with warm water, or something of that sort. Roll this GENTLY under the foot. Then flex the foot all around in circles to slowly limber it up. Try writing the alphabet in the air with your big toe. Then proceed SLOWLY with standing and putting very gentle pressure on the foot. Maybe try just standing in place at first, then slowly flex the foot as if you were taking a step. I know it seems so tedious, but this is how I was instructed to approach mine when I had plantar facitis. It will heal but you must take care not to undo the healing that happens over night. I would follow the above routine until you are certain you are healed. Below is a list of different types of splints. plantarfasciitisresource.com/best-plantar-fasciitis-night-splint/

If it does not improve with the above measure in a couple of week see a dr.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I've suffered for years tje biggest help to me is
    rolling your foot over a frozen waterbottle
    orthotics
    the podiatrist does this lazer and ultrasound treatment not expensive but works so amazing.

when mine flares up I try not to pound on pavement so hiking is better than walking on cement etc!
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Agree on the frozen water bottle. I have found that my sneakers were the cause of my issues. I have 5 pair of sneakers all the same brand but only 1 out of the 5 causes me pain.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    i had it a few years ago and went to a place called The Goodfeet Store and bought some inserts. My feet felt better almost instantly and within a year I was back to normal and not using the inserts. That was about 6 years ago.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Thanks, all!

It's funny, some of the stretches/exercises, like writing the alphabet with my toes, are the same I have been doing with my left foot for tendinitis. Should have been doing them on both sides it seems.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I eased up on my running and did more walking instead. I stretch my feet before I step out of bed in the morning.

Any sudden increase in pain on a run is a signal to ease up.

My daughter suffers from shin splints and recently she got a twinge right after she started a race. She immediately changed her gait so that she was running on her toes, then her heel, and then mid-strike. She started to feel better right away. She figures she has to strengthen all the muscles around the area if she is to get permanent relief.

And the stretches. She doesn't skip her stretches any more.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I dont wear a night splint but i do massage my foot before i get out of bed of a morning, have shoes ready at edge of bed.

My podiatrist also recommended a compression sock. I wear it all day and remove for sleep. I also have orthodtic inserts for runners though to be honest I am not sure they make much of a difference ATM. The sock works well but strapping was even better though hard to do yourself. I'll be in the sock all day for a few months. I will likely continue with the compression sock for exercise afterwards anyway.

Ice it after exercise either by rolling a frozen water bottle under your foot to stretch at the same time or ice pack.

I've gone from a long walk making me limp the next day after any period of sitting to being able to reintroduce short runs two weeks ago. My foot is slightly tender the next day but no limping. I did forget to put on my compression sock yesterday for most of the day, although I put it on for a run last night. My foot is def more tender today.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I triple recommend the frozen water bottle - especially one that has a lot of ridges. I actually use a frozen Gatorade bottle for about 10 minutes before bed. It hurts so good. Be sure to wear thick socks so the cold isn't right on your skin.
  • erwende
    erwende Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    EPAT changed my life. Treatments at the podiatrist!
  • Duane2013
    Duane2013 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Many years ago I had it. Got a couple of steroid injections to ease the pain. Then had a podiatrist cast my feet and make up some inserts that I just move from shoe to shoe. NO pain after custom inserts were used. That is the way to go if you have insurance coverage. Otherwise, hit up a Good feet or New balance store.
  • karenstep
    karenstep Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had achiles tendonitis and PF for several years until I finally went to the doctor and did PT last spring. My sports med doc recommended heel cups (my PF was more right at the base of the heel) and specifically recommended Tuli's heel cups - I got them on Amazon and love them. I did 2 rounds of 10 sessions of iontophoresis treatment to reduce inflamation (since my PF had been so long term), and did tons of stretching. My PT had me stretch everyday at home, 3-4 times a day. I never did stretching or exercises at the PT. From what he told me the treatment for PF is to reduce inflation, and stretch the muscle - retrain the muscle to stay more stretched on it's own. When I first started I didn't really believe that that was all that was to it - but it worked. It took months and being very diligent everyday to do the stretches. I still do them now as my feet do still get sore after exercise.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm able to continue to walk and run once the pain subsides to the point I can stand it, and recover by using a racquet ball to hit pressure points in and massage the soles of my feet.

My PF may be different, though, because it is caused by scar tissue in the PF from an old injury tearing instead of the usual stretching/tearing of the PF itself.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I've been running through it, but plan to ease up after my final race tomorrow. Advil and stretching certainly help. Mine hurts for about the first half mile of my run, then I hardly notice it. It starts to hurt again after sitting and especially driving.
  • jemhh
    Options
    I have been stretching a bunch and the discomfort is all but nonexistent at this point. On Tuesday I mentioned the PF to my PT and he said, yes, start by doing the same stretches we have been. Thanks for the input, everyone :)
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Used to have trouble with it, but several things have helped me. The exercises and rolling a ball under my foot while working at a desk helped a lot, but also the way I would stretch my foot while riding a stationary bike. Still doing stretches on a regular basis, but that is all I am doing now to keep it from returning. Also, I did notice that putting my feet up in a recliner would pull on it in such a way to make it worse, but now am able to sit in the recliner again.
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Great advise! I was just diagnosed with this... wow, it is the most painful thing! I bought "fit flops" and wear them all day inside. I like the idea of the frozen water bottle--didn't think of the thick socks either! thx. I am going to start PT after everyone leaves after Thanksgiving. Good luck to all with this. I thought I was losing my mind with the morning pain!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I've had it in the past. I also do stretches before getting out of bed. I point my toes as hard as I can forward--count to 10. Then pull my toes back towards my knee--count to 10. I do this 10 times. The fascie gets rigid, as elastic gets hard, so you need to keep it limber. Your shoes are essential. Buy new ones, memory foam is a good bet, but there are others. I haven't had a flareup for years, but when one arrives, I change shoes immediately.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    You need to do a LOT of stretching of your calves and achilles every day. Every morning, before you get up, flex your foot up and at the same time press your fingers into the plantar fascia. You can feel it as a tight tendon running through the center of your arch. Massage it, press on it, and try to loosen it. Do this as much as possible. The pain in your arch and heel happens because the plantar fascia is too tight. I bought a couple of pairs of shoes that I found on Footsmart that had high arch support - it helps keep the plantar fascia stretched. The brand was called Orthaheel, but I think it might be Vionic now. I wore nothing but Orthaheel tennis shoes and Orthaheel flip flops for a couple years (otherwise used their insoles) and my feet are now in great shape. Your results may vary, of course, but they worked for me, and I was pretty much crippled with my PF. Best to you.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    the waterbottle is a life saver as it soothes and stretches at same time. my doc is a sports doc and that helps a lot. I also an never barefoot. in tje house I wear a pair of birks. footed helps. orthotics helps huge. make sure your shoes are done up properly if you are lazy like me and slip into them still tied up they aren't doing anything.. good luck it will get better. I did a half marathon with pf and got through it.... I could walk to my car for two months after it but that was my own stupidity!! I learned from that though.
  • scottonbike
    scottonbike Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It sucks! I used shoes that had springs on the bottom. It looked funny but the pain was gone in 2 days. Now I use an OTC insole and have not had problems in years.