Gain mass while training for a 5k....is it possible? Anyone have any luck?

Options
aye_reesey
aye_reesey Posts: 4 Member
I recently lost 70 pounds after having my second child & didn't realize how much I leaned out. I want to gain mass but I am also training for a 5k and plan to eventually move up to a 10 k eventually. How can I balance it out and gain mass? I only Run around 15 miles a week(3-4 days a week) and burn about 300-500 calories a run. I seem to have lost my appetite now that I run more. I literally force myself to eat. I know I need a calorie surplus but any suggestions on quick food I can eat to get my calories in and how many days do you suggest I weight train? I really want to Gain mass but I don't want to give up running.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Ice cream, peanut butter and chocolate. All mixed together if possible.
  • mccormf1
    mccormf1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Isn't it harder to run with more mass?
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of runners who do both. Yes having more mass generally slows you down, but having powerful muscles also makes you run faster - and not just your legs, it's also very important to have a strong core and strong arms help as well. Many runners I know strength train 2x per week, I aim for 3. I think it's whatever you can handle without getting burnt out and allowing enough time for your muscles to recover.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Yes you can train for running while putting on mass..You have to balance out eating back your running calories, as well as set your running days around your strength training as you see appropriate.

As @hornsby said, when you need to fill in your calories ice cream, peanut butter and chocolate or other calorie dense foods..I have provided a link.

Find you a progressive structured strength training program and work your running around the schedule.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I weight train 5 days a week and ride a bike as well as run. You just gotta eat to offset it and plan your workouts/training strategically.
  • aye_reesey
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! @BrunetteRunner87 I realize after beginning my running program my body is so worn out ! Muscles I haven't engaged since high school track hurt!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I ran anywhere 70-90 miles weekly while on a bulk.

I just ate more ice cream, donuts, pumpkin pie, pizza, & peanut butter than usual.
  • aye_reesey
    Options
    Oh wow @Chieflrg thank you so much. I've had people tell me including my husband how it wasn't really possible. Those list of food are right up my alley!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I might add you need a progressive lifting program, a diet that will grow as you gsin, and plenty of sleep while doing both.

Leave out any of those three things and your wheels will spin. Good luck!