Help cooking up the CSA haul

LainMac
LainMac Posts: 412 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
Hi All,

Hubby and I and the crew of 4 have a share in a local CSA. (Community Supported Agriculture - this is when you give the farmer money up front and then you come each week and get what is ready to harvest.)

This week's haul is:

Lots of Lettuce (various sorts)
Vitiman Greens (looks like spinach and bok choy's love child)
Beet Greens
And an assortment of herbs, including 4 kinds of mint, sage, rosemary, and sprigs of the Stevia plant.
Various summer squashes

Does anyone have some insprired ideas on what to do with this lot? Outside of making lots of salads with the various lettuces, I'm sort of stumped!

Replies

• elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    :drinker: here's a summer squash recipe you could also use your greens for in place of the spinach:

Ingredients:
    4 medium Pattypan Squash
    2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
    1 tablespoon Olive Oil (extra-virgin is best)
    1 clove minced Garlic
    1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
    1 bunch Fresh Spinach, washed and finely chopped
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    1 dash Cayenne Pepper (optional)
    1 large Egg, lightly beaten
    1/4 cup grated Swiss Cheese (or Gruyère Cheese for more flavor)
    Steps:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    Fill a large pot 3/4 full of water and bring to a boil.
    Place squash in boiling water and boil for 5 minutes.
    Drain the water and allow squash to cool.
    Cut a thin slice from the bottom of each squash so that they will stand on their own.
    Cut about 1/2 inch from the tops of each squash and remove the insides to hollow the squash. Set squash insides aside.
    Melt butter and oil in a skillet over medium heat.
    Add garlic and sauté until soft.
    Add the spinach and soy sauce and sauté until the spinach is tender and the liquid has mostly evaporated.
    Move the spinach mixture to a bowl and allow to partially cool.
    Season with salt, pepper, and optional cayenne pepper to taste.
    Stir in the egg and 1/2 cup of the swiss or Gruyere cheese. Mix well.
    Add a small amount of the squash insides and discard the rest of the insides.
    Spoon the spinach/cheese mixture into the squash shells.
    Place the stuffed squash in a single layer in a baking dish.
    Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
    Pour hot water into the pan to fill about 1/2 inch.
    Bake for approximately 30 minutes or the squash is tender and the filling is no longer runny.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I saw some good recipes for chicken and then you wrap it in the lettuce. I can picture chicken, that bok choy stuff, some cumin and curry......maybe a bit of brown rice.........ok now I am hungry:heart:
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    Add some fresh ginger to the lettuce wraps. They're delicious.

Good for you being in a CSA. My wife and I joined one this summer, but this is a CSA that partners with local farms to provide vegetarian and omnivore shares of PRE-COOKED FOOD!!! No worries about what to do with the haul, they've done it for you and the food is delicious.

Check it out: http://www.harvest-kitchen.com/
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Add some fresh ginger to the lettuce wraps. They're delicious.

Good for you being in a CSA. My wife and I joined one this summer, but this is a CSA that partners with local farms to provide vegetarian and omnivore shares of PRE-COOKED FOOD!!! No worries about what to do with the haul, they've done it for you and the food is delicious.

Check it out: http://www.harvest-kitchen.com/

mmmmmmmm now I want this even more
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    I used the some dill with some sauerkraut to warm up some potatoe and cheese pierogies. Just like Babchi's (Grammy's) cooking. Dill, potato, and sauerkraut are magic together.
This discussion has been closed.