It Works, Shakeology, WW Or...???

Options
So, has anyone tried any of these products, like IT Works Wraps or greens?? Shakeology shakes, Beachbody Workouts, Weight Watchers??

What, if any, has worked for you??? And I mean just to AID in your weight loss/fitness journey, not as the ONLY thingyou do to get in better shape/lose weight...

Replies

• FitInMyHead
    FitInMyHead Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    that is how I feel..I was just wondering. Sometimes the mind can play games and ifyou BELEIVE something works, then it does....(like a placebo effect, you know?)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    So, has anyone tried any of these products, like IT Works Wraps or greens?? Shakeology shakes, Beachbody Workouts, Weight Watchers??

What, if any, has worked for you??? And I mean just to AID in your weight loss/fitness journey, not as the ONLY thingyou do to get in better shape/lose weight...

Absolutely, all of those diets work......

If you eat at a calorie deficit. :)

So, my take? Set your goals up to lose your desired weight, eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight....nothing else necessary.

Wraps or greens make some people feel good, but they are not a substitution for eating at a calorie deficit. Shakeoloy is an MLM scam, and Beachbody is just a MLM operation out to make money.

Weight Watchers is a dietary plan based on a points system, but you still need to stay in a calorie deficit.

AS for the Beachbody workouts, some people like them and some don't.
  • BuffMom84
    BuffMom84 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I heard that ItWorks doesn't work. They're all just fads. Even if they would work, it'd probably be temporary results.
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I have used Beachbody workouts in the past and have had some luck. I haven't used Shakeology because of the high price and I like to eat my meals when possible. I don't sell any of the above and have never used the It Works.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    What works for me is counting calories so I stay in a deficit. I eat anything I want within my calorie budget. Last night that included 12 Milk Duds.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    that is how I feel..I was just wondering. Sometimes the mind can play games and ifyou BELEIVE something works, then it does....(like a placebo effect, you know?)

I've got a few opinions about all of this.

First of all I think Weight Watchers is probably one of the better well known systems given they tend to have strong social support and a rather simplified method of tracking via the points system. I have family members who have successfully lost weight with this system and so I think overall it's not bad at all.

It Works Wraps are completely useless and of all the things you've listed this one probably is the most irritating since they quite literally don't do anything. And so from that standpoint I find this to be the scummiest.

Beach Body, Herbalife, Visalus, and several other MLM type of products are generally overpriced for what you get and that's inherent in the business model more than anything. That being said, p90X isn't bad for a DvD based program. The nutritional products are overpriced compared to what you could get by purchasing reputable protein supplements plus some additional multivitamins to make up the nutritional differences between them -- you'd end up with a better product at a lower cost with the latter option.

Meal replacement products aren't necessarily bad -- if they allow you to get into a deficit then they will work and many people have had success using them, but if you DO go that route it's a good idea to still establish good eating habits along the way otherwise when you stop using the product you're not likely to maintain a reasonable calorie intake and that's where some people can go wrong.

Finally, placebo effects are still effects, they just aren't happening for reasons people think they are happening.

Just curious-have these family members been able to keep off the weight long term? My mom and sister are die hard WW members, but they cannot maintain their losses for any amount of time-so then they start the cycle all over again. It's costing them a lot of money and they're not getting any real results. Wondering if others are having more success with WW for the long term?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    BuffMom84 wrote: »
    I heard that ItWorks doesn't work. They're all just fads. Even if they would work, it'd probably be temporary results.

Temporary weight loss, been there done that.

Losing weight should also give us some tools for keeping the weight off. Shakes, wraps & supplements just don't do that.

WW has meetings and calories are counted in "points." If going to meetings makes you accountable, if counting points is easier, then you do get something from it.

Beach Body workouts (not the shakes) may be enjoyable for you. If you like working out, you will be more consistent.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I count calories to lose weight and prefer to eat food (though do have a good protein powder if not hitting that macro well enough).

I have used Beachbody workouts. They do some good ones but I will always buy direct and try to get them when on sale/special offer.

WW is a little different as others say but it still wouldn't be for me.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

I've got a few opinions about all of this.

First of all I think Weight Watchers is probably one of the better well known systems given they tend to have strong social support and a rather simplified method of tracking via the points system. I have family members who have successfully lost weight with this system and so I think overall it's not bad at all.

It Works Wraps are completely useless and of all the things you've listed this one probably is the most irritating since they quite literally don't do anything. And so from that standpoint I find this to be the scummiest.

Beach Body, Herbalife, Visalus, and several other MLM type of products are generally overpriced for what you get and that's inherent in the business model more than anything. That being said, p90X isn't bad for a DvD based program. The nutritional products are overpriced compared to what you could get by purchasing reputable protein supplements plus some additional multivitamins to make up the nutritional differences between them -- you'd end up with a better product at a lower cost with the latter option.

Meal replacement products aren't necessarily bad -- if they allow you to get into a deficit then they will work and many people have had success using them, but if you DO go that route it's a good idea to still establish good eating habits along the way otherwise when you stop using the product you're not likely to maintain a reasonable calorie intake and that's where some people can go wrong.

Finally, placebo effects are still effects, they just aren't happening for reasons people think they are happening.

Just curious-have these family members been able to keep off the weight long term? My mom and sister are die hard WW members, but they cannot maintain their losses for any amount of time-so then they start the cycle all over again. It's costing them a lot of money and they're not getting any real results. Wondering if others are having more success with WW for the long term?

Yes but they have had some bouncing around like I would expect anyone to have on any method including calorie counting. My dad for example, has maintained about a 20lb loss or so and he uses point tracking intermittently.

Also, I don't want to present it as "since it worked for my dad it's great!" -- I recognize I'm using limited anecdote here -- what I'm really saying is that the system has a lot of good qualities to it and so compared to what else exists I think it's pretty solid.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Shakeology = overpriced. There are other cheaper options out there (some with more protein even) if you are looking for a meal replacement.

Beachbody dvd workouts aren't bad. However it's another one of those things were there are cheaper options (some even free). The workouts though will not make you lose weight if you are not in a calorie deficit.

Weight Watchers is similar to calorie counting. You count points instead of calories and your points put you at a calorie deficit so you lose weight. It also has support meetings and such. That said if you don't need the meetings than using MFP is a nice option since it is free. Then again some people prefer points to counting calories.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I like Beachbody workouts (have done P90X, P90X3, Les Mills Combat, Focus T25, and am now working on Insanity). I find the commercials and continuous references for their shakes and stuff by the workout hosts that are sprinkled throughout the programs rather annoying. I have never been tempted to buy any of the Beachbody supplements, quite possibly because of all the attempts in the DVDs to sell them to me (also the cost).

Anyway, I do find the workout programs to be of good quality and that they have improved my fitness. If you don't want to shell out a lot of cash for them, join the Team Beachbody email list. At certain times of year, they have significant discounts on (usually older) workout programs. I got Insanity for half price this way. I have heard good things about their streaming service, too, although my technology is not compatible with it so I haven't tried it myself.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    You know what works?

Being in a caloric deficit
    Consistency

Getting enough protein, regular exercise and getting enough sleep are also quite helpful.

Number one priority should be measuring/weighing and logging all your food every day and eating within your calorie goal. A digital food scale is very helpful and not expensive. You could even get one for home & one for the office.

Here are some more specific recommendations but these are what work for me, you'll have to find out what works best for you:

For exercise I do 1 hour of full body circuit style weight lifting at the gym 3 times a week plus some hiit cardio, walking, and hikes. I like fitnessblender videos on YouTube for some great at home workouts. Exercise is not essential for weight loss but I find it allows me to eat more calories and gives me a better physique. It also feels great and is good for health.

If you don't get enough protein from your diet a good protein shake can be a helpful supplement- I like the Tera's whey brand since it's grass fed organic and sweetened with stevia and no weird additives. I mix 2 scoops of the chocolate flavor protein powder with a cup of coconut water and blend. It tastes like a treat and the coconut water adds a little sweetness and natural electrolytes without adding a lot of calories. I also enjoy clif builders bars for a sweet protein rich treat instead of indulging in things like candy or junk food - chocolate mint is my favorite flavor (tastes like thin mint girl scout cookies). Halo top ice cream (low calorie, more protein) is a nice alternative to regular ice cream too. It's important to get enough protein while in a caloric deficit and especially if you are also exercising, to preserve muscle & prioritize losing body fat instead of lean mass. I like my sweets so these help me get in protein and satisfy my sweet tooth at the same time.

I feel like weight watchers might be good for some aspects but it's expensive and its basically just a less accurate version of counting calories. Myfitnesspal is free and more accurate.

Be careful of meal replacement shakes- they're usually full of fillers and low quality ingredients. In my opinion it's better to just eat real food and take a good multivitamin.

Have not heard of the wraps or greens you mentioned but will look them up. In general getting in greens is a great thing but fresh is best- like actual spinach, lettuce, kale, etc.

• MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    It Works- No, its not magic. Skip.

Shakes = expensive calorie deficit via meal replacement. You still need to LEARN how to eat less.

BeachBody WorkOuts= if they are free. FitnessBlender is great. You Tube too.

WW= calorie tracking via different set up that you pay for. Edit*(Doesnt directly track calories like MFP but thats what food is made up of regardless of the diary programming, its just a different formula)

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I mean, sure you can lose weight with just about any program, as long as you keep paying for the product/program, but none of them set you up for long-term success.
    The thing about calorie counting is that (usually) it forces you to learn habits that you can incorporate into your life that will help you keep the weight off after you have lost it. Bonus: it's free!
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Ok I just looked up the wraps- the body wraps you mean? Don't waste your money! Body wraps, waist trainers, etc... all those things are just a scam.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Don't bother with anything that promises a quick fix.