What motivates you to exercise?

Options
I have gained so much in the last year...feel so heavy. I have no motivation these days...So how did you get yourself out there exercising? What types of exercises do you do, especially when weighing around 263lbs. When did you start to see the benefits? When I was lighter I used to jog lots....its been a while. I would lo email to be slimmer and fitter like before. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• CranstonJ2016
    CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I started because I was tired of who I saw in the mirror and wanted to be healthier. So I started MFP and logged properly and hit the gym after work, started with walking and some weights, but then I found this HIIT program online, 30 day HIIT challange that I thought looked good. So now I do cardio and HIIT.

What keeps me going? My weight loss is my motivation :) I want to see more of it off so I really keep an eye on what I'm eating and make sure I do my 30 day challenge!

Good luck on your journey, the best thing to do is start walking, once you get more energy stamina, you'll add different things to your workout routine :)
  • Okohme
    Okohme Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, I forced myself every day. I literally gave myself gold stars (on a little calendar). After 8 months, the daily walking is as much of a habit as anything else. I don't really feel like doing anything until I've gotten out there for a trot. I went at it for a while before I saw a difference, but I felt better before then. I went from when I would walk 2-3 times a day for 10-20 minutes(that's about all I was good for) to a vigorous jog/walk(I call a trot) every day of about 4 miles.

• singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    To be better than yesterday. To feel better at 46 than I did at 26. The best advice I can give is to find exercise you love doing. Embrace the process and the goals will take care of themselves.

If you're doing nothing, stop it and get out and walk. You will reap the biggest benefits going from nothing to something. Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Nads36 wrote: »
    I have gained so much in the last year...feel so heavy. I have no motivation these days...So how did you get yourself out there exercising? What types of exercises do you do, especially when weighing around 263lbs. When did you start to see the benefits? When I was lighter I used to jog lots....its been a while. I would lo email to be slimmer and fitter like before. Thanks in advance :)

I've been around here 4+ years and in the early days, my motivation was food..."earning" extra calories through exercise was a great motivator for me...1900 calories without exercise or 2300-2500 calories with exercise to lose at the same rate got me going.

I made the mistake that many people seem to make though...I forced myself to do stuff that I didn't really enjoy doing simply because I thought I had to do that stuff...ya know, read it in a fitness magazine, etc. It was all sort of random and without any structure and it was just a bunch of stuff I really didn't like...I further made the mistake of trying to do too much too soon which resulted in an injury as well as just plain old burnout.

It was during my recovery though that I re-discovered my bike and a passion for cycling. That was a game changer...not much motivation is needed when you find something you truly enjoy. Don't get me wrong, I still have those occasional days where I just don't feel it...most of the time I just suck it up and go ride and usually feel great once I'm out there...but sometimes I take a step back and realize I've been going pretty hard and maybe just need an extra recovery/rest day.

Walking is a good, low impact way to start...from there, try to find something you really enjoy doing...maybe that will just be daily walks, and that's great.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Riding a bike is kind of like having sex. I want to do it because it's enjoyable, not because of some idea that I "should."
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you used to be a runner sign up for a race so you've got something to train for
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I started because at 300 lb I was scared to death of where I was headed. I kept at it and still do because I love my new found functionality and abilities, and don't want to go back to where i was. You can start with walking and strength training. Do what you can and keep building as you progress. I could tell a difference within a couple of weeks. I have virtually no pain any longer and can get out and do whatever I want to do without worries.

Remember, You need to pair exercise with good nutrition and portion control to lose weight.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to tell you I love running. I am going to tell you that I love how good I feel when I'm done. I don't hate it, though, and that's a good start. I know that the next marathon isn't going to be any better than the last one if I don't do the training. Also, I only allow myself to use the Zombies, Run! app if I'm actually running. That is sometimes enough to get me started.

If I want motivation to go for a walk, Pokemon Go is pretty good at getting me out of the house. It gets boring sitting on the couch, waiting for that Weedle to come find me.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Hunger. Pretty simple. My TDEE without exercise is around 2k calories a day. I can deal with that most days but honestly, I like to eat more than that. So add in exercise and I'm happier. Since I work out first thing in the morning it helps me start off my day right and with energy as well.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Health is my motivation. Sure it's nice to be able to eat another few hundred calories, but I do it for the health benefits. At my age I've seen first hand the difference exercise makes over time.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Exercise makes me feel good (physically and mentally) and look good and I enjoy the actual doing of it. I suppose it would be considered my hobby.
  • BeGrandLike
    BeGrandLike Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    In the long run? There are SO many things that I can't physically do right now at the gym that I wanna do. I've got to keep going if I want to inch closer and closer to those things. I want to feel strong and I want to have muscle definition that I can see and... gotta work out regularly for that, right?

In the medium run? 'Cause I want to lose weight and if I'm sedentary I'm stuck on 1300 calories a say and, well, feck that noise. So a good workout 6 days a week gives me a few hundred more calories to play with and I'm not hungry all the time!

First thing in the morning when I have to drag my *kitten* out of bed and to the gym before work? Routine. I wake up in the morning and my gym clothes are right in front of me ready to be put on and for me to zombie my way down the the kitchen for coffee before trudging over to the gym and with any luck I'm already into my workout before I'm properly awake anyway. Feck motivation, actually getting to the gym day after day after day is 90% routine.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Guilt free TV watching. 3 days a week I do a treadmill. I pop the iPad and watch TV guilt free.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost weight what motivated me was that I was invited to a trip to a waterpark hotel with some friends of mine. I had lots of fun until I saw the pictures later and realized I was not the 125lb self I used to be... I was the 170lb friend surrounded by 3 120lb ladies. Now thankfully I didnt let my weight gain define how my trip went but it changed everything when I got home. Its also when I discovered mfp. With watching calories and exercising I made it back down to 125lbs... Until a positive pregnancy test. Lol Now Ive been back here the past two years trying to lose the same 15-20lbs since my daughter was born.
  • socialdchic
    socialdchic Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I used to be what is called "skinny fat". I am 31 right now but I did not become actually fat until after I had my son and got my meds upped for PPD. (I now take nothing). I used to be around 125 and ended up at 210 and felt so gross and sluggish. I had never been healthy or exercised and I did good and lost 50 pounds but then the holidays rolled around and I fell off track and gained 20 back. I am now back on track and have lost even more and truly feel this is finally a lifestyle change in my mind instead of a "diet".

What motivates me is my son and setting a good example for him. My husband, who is overweight and got diagnosed with high BP and myself. I like how exercising makes me feel. I like the feel of feeling strong. I like meeting my goals. And, when I feel like eating crappy or not exercising, I tell myself... all the work up until now will have been in vain if I do not keep it up. That helps a lot of the time. Also, finding something you love. For me, I lost the bulk of my weight doing zumba at home on the Wii. If you cant do the moves, just keep moving, makes cardio more fun. Find what you enjoy.

I took up running recently and that is something I have never done and gave me a goal to work for and that helps. Honestly though, you have to WANT IT. If you do not really want it... you will not achieve it. You need to sit yourself down and have a talk with yourself on what you want, what makes you unhappy and what you want to change and how serious you are about it. Once your mind is on board, the sky is the limit but its a mental thing too. I also want to be around for my kid and let him know how important it is to be healthy. Find the things that motivate you, tape it to the fridge if need be but getting yourself there mentally is the main thing and everything else will follow.

One more bit of advice, dont have cheat days, eat things in moderation. Eat healthy most of the time and if you go out to eat with someone or you want to have something small, do it. Just dont do it all of the time or go crazy, you need a lifestyle change, not just a diet so you need to look at everything in a realistic, achievable way. Feel free to add me if you want, I am not on much anymore but you can message me if you want to talk.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Age. I train, not exercise. Powerlifting.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    Fooood. I use the NEAT system, so the more I exercise, the more I can eat. People say this approach is psychologically unhealthy. I would reply to this but my mouth is full.

Also, I feel alive when I am walking or cycling, it gives me a feeling of flow while still being aware of my surroundings. Keep trying different exercises. You'll find one you love.

A lot of this ^^

:)