How do you guys cope over the holiday season?

Options
The holiday season is almost upon us with Thanks Giving for you guys in the US & Canada and then Xmas. So my question is how do you guys cope?

This will be my first holiday season since my weight loss. I'm wondering what I should expect? For me I have no problem saying no, I've had various parties through out the year where I've happily went hungry as nothing but junk food was on offer, that doesn't bother me, what does bother me is the pressure from other people. " Aw go on its Christmas" I can hear it already. We don't do thanks giving in the UK but make up for it at Xmas with a massive dinner of Turkey, stuffing and all the trimmings, again doesn't bother me missing this but I can hear the wife already, or the Xmas parties, again I can go and eat and drink nothing but again it's the social pressure.

I worked hard to lose weight and I have no intention of messing that up by going mad over the holidays,

Have you guys any advice?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    "I worked hard to lose weight and I have no intention of messing that up by going mad over the holidays"

^^ This. Just say, "not now, thank you", don't get into the weight loss reasons. If they persist, walk away. Beyond that, it's all about portion control.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving in Canada was a couple of weeks ago. I was there. I did what I normally do. I ate what I normally ate. I knew I would likely eat a bit *more* than I normally do, so I was careful the day before and days after.
    I typically don't eat foods I wouldn't normally eat. I don't give myself carte blanche. I just figure I'll eat a bit more, and it will all work out.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving=a normal Thursday (I work that day) with maybe a bit more food that I can cut back on in the days leading up to it. Christmas=diet break.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I generally have about 7 (Thanksgiving day, Christmas eve, Christmas day, 2-3 parties/happy hours with friends, NYE) days where I eat anything I want. I still track it, but don't pay attention to calories. Balances just fine with the 35ish other days where I eat normally and exercise. Going crazy for the entire season can get you into trouble, but a day or two here and there are not a big deal in the grand scheme of things (for me, anyway).
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    i enjoy xmas, but dont eat as much as i used to.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Christmas day and boxing day I eat what I want. The rest is business as usual.
  • the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I plan on sticking to low carb - that still leaves me with yummy ham, turkey, some nuts, salads etc etc. I think being smarter will help me this year. :)
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You can eat what you want and enjoy the holidays without going hungry and without messing up. If you do "go mad" two days out of the year, it's not really that big of a deal and you aren't going to undo all your progress.

Advice would be, eat what you want and don't go hungry but portion control if you feel like you need to.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I figure I will eat more or less as desired on Thanksgiving day and Christmas day, and otherwise will enjoy leftovers and treats within my daily calorie goals. I know it can be done because I did it for many, many years and was very thin.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    By increasing activity and watching my portions, I managed to lose a little weight over the holiday season last year and not feel deprived.

Normally my activity level goes down when gardening season is done but I committed to walking outside every work day at lunch time unless it was pouring rain and stuck to this. I bundled up and found walking trails where skiers and other hikers had packed down the snow.

I also joined a gym for nights and found an indoor skating rink for rainy days.

Getting some cardio at lunch was key to raising my energy level for the rest of the day so that I was motivated to be active at night as well.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I feel the reason people gain weight over the holidays is usually because they eat too much. It's not that what they are eating is so unhealthy they just eat in excess.

The holidays will be a test, but I plan to do what I do everyday - portion control. I'll have a little of this and a little of that, but I have no plans to stuff my face. If I feel tempted to I will just remind myself there will be left overs.