Stop reading and start lifting.
  • DANCERPURPLE
    DANCERPURPLE Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength. Get the book, even if you choose SL5x5. If you choose SL, do it as 3x5.

p.s., lol at the person above suggesting body pump

this^

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

yup. this.
  • degausser234
    degausser234 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Bump
    Looking forward to reading other's opinions.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options

Not sure if this was directed at me, but I'm already lifting. My time with my personal trainer is coming to an end, and I was just seeking opinions and experiences of others with these four or other similar programs. I don't need to be sold on the benefits of lifting, because I already am. :)
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Jamie Eason's LiveFit trainer, it's a 3 phase-12 week program, that has been working well for me so far. It's a free program with weekly videos, nutrition advice and meal planning, and a workout schedule that you can upload to your calendar.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

That is horrible advice. Knowledge is power.
  • Barbellgirl
    Options

There are enough people in gyms that lift without a real plan and getting optimal results. I don't plan to be another.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength, NROLW, and SL5x5 are fine to start with. I don't know what AllPros is, though that doesn't mean it's bad or anything.

RE: Fast twitch vs. Slow Twitch: Basically think about being fast and explosive versus marathon. Fast Twitch muscles are better trained via maximal strength (heavy) lifting which is roughly in the 1 to 5 rep range or 80% to 100% of your 1RM. Plyometric jumps can help with this too.

RE: Stop Reading and Do It: Although it came across as rude I think that what was being said is that there is so much information available that we inundate ourselves with data and get paralyzed by it. Find something that looks interesting and just do it is the basic message there.

Knowledge without experience or without applying it is useless.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Starting Strength. The book is great, regardless of the program you choose! I bought the ebook version from Amazon, so I always have it with me. There is also lots of great information regarding SS on the net.

Official website and forum: http://startingstrength.com
    WIKI: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki (I live by the Logbook Calculator spreadsheet!)
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    I've been doing Jamie Eason's LiveFit trainer, it's a 3 phase-12 week program, that has been working well for me so far. It's a free program with weekly videos, nutrition advice and meal planning, and a workout schedule that you can upload to your calendar.

Thank you, I'll go check that out.

I agree,, there is a lot of information out there but I'm not going to let it paralyze me. I'm close to a decision, but if anyone else has experience they'd like to share that would be great. Thanks to each of you that have taken the time to share your thoughts with me.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Get Starting Strength. It does a great job of explaining all the technical aspects of the main lifts. It also has an appropriate amount of volume. I think strong lifts 5x5 is a little too much.

Also if you sign up on the Starting Strength forum you can post videos of you doing the various lifts and people do a great job of pointing out issues with form. Form is a very big deal.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

Thank you, I'll go check that out.

I agree,, there is a lot of information out there but I'm not going to let it paralyze me. I'm close to a decision, but if anyone else has experience they'd like to share that would be great. Thanks to each of you that have taken the time to share your thoughts with me.

My wife and I both have followed Stronglifts. Just download the plan and go from there. No need to put up with all of Mehdi's email spam. It's simple. 3 days of compound lifts and each workout can be finished in/around 45 minutes. We've both noticed marked improvements in strength. I know NROLFW and Starting Strength are great avenues as well, but we both did this.. and worked out together.

Honestly, at this point, if you're wanting to just start training.. just pick one of those three and go to it. You don't have to sign up for meal plans, etc. Just pick one of the three that is listed and get to it. You don't have to change anything else, just add the lifting in and roll with it.
  • Scarlett_Belle
    Scarlett_Belle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • xbar16
    xbar16 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Lenora

I do not follow a strict program but I have a routine I built and you can probably do the same since you have a pretty good handle on this. Maybe I should follow a set up program but I do not have the patience for that. I do a split so what I do would not apply.

If I was going to do a full body work out I would do:

DeadLifts
    Bench Press
    Squats
    Pull Ups
    OverHead Press

When doing full body I like to move from upper to lower then back to get some rest for the part. You could also mix in dibs, power cleans, isolation lifts or ab work.

Important - use something to track your workouts and progress. The weights and reps. I use an app called Strong.

Last thing - when I am trying to maximize something, like pulls ups for example, I move that to the first thing because the other lifts will tire me out and I cannot go as hard as I would like.
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm going to go ahead and buy the book Starting Strength. Xbar, thanks buddy for all the great advice. I may just develop my own program after all that takes something from all of them. That app sounds really helpful too. Okay, I'm feeling much better now about flying solo without a trainer next week. :)
  • xbar16
    xbar16 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think buying the Starting Strenght book is a good move. It has a 3 days per week program in the back. I would follow that. The reason I dont is I like the split of push, pull, & legs. It keeps me in the gym more.

When I look at the list I so casually typed out I cringe. That many lifts in one day would be a killer and probably too much for a single work out. It has been months since I did a full body like that and I remember feeling blown out for 2 days. The workouts in Starting Strenght are a schedule of 3 or 4 lifts per day. Very sensible.
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    I think buying the Starting Strenght book is a good move. It has a 3 days per week program in the back. I would follow that. The reason I dont is I like the split of push, pull, & legs. It keeps me in the gym more.

When I look at the list I so casually typed out I cringe. That many lifts in one day would be a killer and probably too much for a single work out. It has been months since I did a full body like that and I remember feeling blown out for 2 days. The workouts in Starting Strenght are a schedule of 3 or 4 lifts per day. Very sensible.

Haha, I was actually thinking it was too few. I put together the following workout program for a M/W/F schedule. Each exercise would have three sets of 6-8 reps, except for push-ups, planks and crunches as noted. Please let me know what you think. I want to work on my glutes and hamstrings a lot, but otherwise I think it's pretty balanced. Thoughts????

Workout 1
    Squats (barbell)
    Bench Press
    Dumbbell lunges-reg
    Push-ups (amrp)
    Barbell Hip Thrusts
    Lat Pull Down
    Dead lift - Romanian

Workout 2
    Leg press
    Incline Dumbbell Flys
    Dumbbell Step-ups
    Shoulder Overhead Press
    Glute Bridges- weighted
    Planks (2 sets minimum of 1 min each)
    Dead lift - Straight leg

Workout 3
    Squats- Smith machine
    Bench press
    Dumbbell lunges- rear
    Tricep pull down- rope
    Kettlebell swings (45-60 seconds)
    Ab crunches x 20
    Dead lift- Romanian
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    That workout you put together has way too much volume and redundancy. Plus there are some exercises you have in there that I would not do (anything smith machine). In fact some of your exercise choices are very redundant. For example why do leg press, smith machine squats, lunges and step ups if you can do squats? The starting strength workout is good. Its a good amount of volume if you want to get strong, it sticks to basics and it definitely works. One thing you will notice when doing that type of work out is that you really won't get fatigued. Don't let that decieve you because you will be making your whole body stronger. Stick to that workout and do lots of foam rolling + mobility work.

Jeff

Haha, I was actually thinking it was too few. I put together the following workout program for a M/W/F schedule. Each exercise would have three sets of 6-8 reps, except for push-ups, planks and crunches as noted. Please let me know what you think. I want to work on my glutes and hamstrings a lot, but otherwise I think it's pretty balanced. Thoughts????

Workout 1
    Squats (barbell)
    Bench Press
    Dumbbell lunges-reg
    Push-ups (amrp)
    Barbell Hip Thrusts
    Lat Pull Down
    Dead lift - Romanian

Workout 2
    Leg press
    Incline Dumbbell Flys
    Dumbbell Step-ups
    Shoulder Overhead Press
    Glute Bridges- weighted
    Planks (2 sets minimum of 1 min each)
    Dead lift - Straight leg

Workout 3
    Squats- Smith machine
    Bench press
    Dumbbell lunges- rear
    Tricep pull down- rope
    Kettlebell swings (45-60 seconds)
    Ab crunches x 20
    Dead lift- Romanian
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to accomplish, in order of importance, with your training program?

I think one should answer this before choosing a program.