Snacks, What percentage of diet?

Options

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    llbrixon wrote: »
    Yea... I know calories in, calories out, but I am trying to achieve a healthy balance. Zero percentage is not for me, but then 50% of my calories for the day is too much.

I was just wondering what most folks eat as their snack amount in an average each day.

My snacks are a matter timing. Mid-afternoon I need something as a pick-me up, and so I don't go raiding someone's candy dish. I mug of Chai tea (milk & a bit of sugar) and a dark chocolate square (Ghiradelli) does the trick.

I love night time snacks so I leave my second snack until late. Light popcorn is my favorite - generally 150 calories worth.

I take a multivitamin and don't sweat the small stuff. Though protein & fats are important.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I am back! I was running late on lunch after coming home with my snacks. I ate some hummus with celery, it was awesome. I ate a Gala apple and had 24 almonds. It is now after 5pm and I am starting to get hungry. I have over 1200 calories left to eat. I was not hungry after I had my lunch. Now, I have the problem of not eating my calories! Help!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I am back! I was running late on lunch after coming home with my snacks. I ate some hummus with celery, it was awesome. I ate a Gala apple and had 24 almonds. It is now after 5pm and I am starting to get hungry. I have over 1200 calories left to eat. I was not hungry after I had my lunch. Now, I have the problem of not eating my calories! Help!

This is when calorie dense foods would come in.

Some cheese, nuts, nut butters would help. They are higher calorie for little volume.

An apple with some peanut butter and an oz of cheese could bring your calories up.
  • llbrixon
    Options
    Ok. I ate my supper. I am pretty much eating as normal. I finished off with 1300 calories.... I can still have a snack late tonight. Yum!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    I am missing some nutrition each day. My macros are not met or average well during the week. I am missing lots of vitamins each day.

I eat to many Carbs each day and not enough protein and fats each day. Some days my fats will go over.

I am fine tuning my eating life style, but I am not willing to exercise myself my butt off to keep at a lower weight. And, I want to be able to eat out and eat some of the foods I love....like pizza, tacoes, and icecream, and salty snack foods. I am sure there are a lot more foods I could list.

So have those foods once a week on a day when you put in a lot of exercise. That's what I do.

BTW - regarding salty snack foods ... I used to crave those, but when I joined MFP I realised that eating 12 potato chips just wouldn't cut it, so instead I decided to have something a bit more substantial yet salty. Therefore my after work snack is well-salted cottage cheese and raw veggies (or pickles). And that took the craving for chips etc. completely away.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    BTW my snacks are things like:

-- fruit: bananas, kiwi fruit, apples, mandarin oranges, mangos (for a special treat, they're a little higher in calories), and others as they appeal to me

-- raw veggies: cucumber slices, radishes, carrots, cabbage

-- dairy products: cottage cheese, yogurt, a light/low fat cheese (I like that kind of cheese!)

-- crackers: Ryvita, and a few others

And I'll often have a piece of toast with a little bit of honey or something as a snack at the end of the day if I'm still hungry.
  • Bubble2223
    Bubble2223 Posts: 13 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I think everyone has trigger foods. If your "snacking" is your trigger I would change your old snacks to satisfying new ones. The reason is you had an eating pattern with your old kind of snack and you may want to kick that old habit. Choose a new satisfying snack with a new behavior associated with it and change the location of where you are snacking. With that change you may not have to concern yourself with percentages( pretzels/carrots/celery/endive and hummus, small Lil' ice cream cone, weight watchers giant big chocolate pop, laughing cow reduced fat cheese.)
  • aamberrr
    aamberrr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have never figured out a percentage for my snacking. I think it all depends on preference. I'd rather eat 2-3 really big, filling meals than to graze all day long. However, if I find that I'm getting hungry in the afternoon, and dinner is going to be later, I might eat some yogurt, raw veggies, or a protein bar to hold me over. I don't think your percentage matters, as long as you're staying within your calories, you feel satisfied, and you're eating the important stuff, like veggies and protein, with your meals.
  • aamberrr
    aamberrr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I just read some more of the thread and it looks like you're asking more about what percentage should/can be what would be labeled as "junk food." Honestly, just from a strict weight loss perspective, as long as you're within your calories it doesn't matter the type of food. Obviously if you want to look at overall health and body compositions, then macro- and micro- nutrition becomes more important. I think as long as you're hitting your other nutrition goals, you can have some discretionary calories for snack foods. I've always heard 80%/20% is the best way to go.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, I have always found it easier to focus on what I need to eat, rather than what I need to avoid. When I realized my diet was low in protein and veggies, I focused on getting them in. When you focus on adding stuff in, and you track your calories, it just naturally pushes the other stuff out.

So my two cents is not to sweat your snack percentage, instead figure out what's missing and how to get that stuff in. Good luck!
  • llbrixon
    Options
    I have planned out my food log for the day and I think I did pretty good at adjusting vitamins (macros) to meet my food need for today. Please check it out and let me know what you think.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I have planned out my food log for the day and I think I did pretty good at adjusting vitamins (macros) to meet my food need for today. Please check it out and let me know what you think.

Vitamins are not macros.
  • llbrixon
    Options
    Opps.... only meant macros.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

That looks pretty good. I'd probably up protein and vegetables (and calories if your 1600 goal is what you are generally aiming for), but it's a process.
  • llbrixon
    Options
    I ate lunch. Saved my celery for mid-afternoon. I am eating very well. Never thought I would have calories left over. I will probably add peanut butter to the celery to build up more protein. I have 400 or so calories left.

Yes, it is a process. It is fun learning while you can eat some food.

Awesome advice given folks. I have not had any Halloween candy in two days! Yahooooo!
  • llbrixon
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I did pretty awesome on my macros today with foods chosen.
  • llbrixon
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Error....
  • llbrixon
    Options
    Macros are perfect!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Snacks for me would be basically high sugar content type foods with no nnutritional value.

I would also count in my salty snacks too.

Ah, you didn't define what you meant by "snacks". Snacks and salty/sugary/no nutrition are not synonymous -- at least for some of us.

My snacks over the past week have included things like:

Crunchy peanut butter and sugar free marmalade on a high-fiber sandwich thin
    Quest nutrition bar or Fiber One bar
    Handful of dried fruit and nuts
    2% Greek yogurt with fruit and a quarter cup granola
    Fruit (a banana or a couple of small tangerines or an apple)
    A few grape tomatoes, a few kalamata olives, a couple of pickled okra
    Couple of Ak-Mak high fiber crackers plus a couple wedges Laughing Cow cheese

I typically have a couple of these a day. You can snack and not overdo it with high sugar content type or salty snacks that have no nutritional value. That's why it doesn't matter to me what percent of my daily calories are spent on snacks.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I think it depends on your activity level. Most days, my breakfast is 300-500 calories (300ish on weekdays; a little higher on weekends). Lunch is often about 400-500 calories. Dinner is usually 400-600 calories (a bit higher on Sunday nights). The rest of my calories are snacks.

That might include:
    fruit
    cheese
    a protein shake
    a protein bar
    yogurt (sometimes Greek; sometimes with berries)
    overnight oats
    tuna
    scrambled eggs on toast (my husband finds that an odd snack, but it works if I need protein + fat or am craving saltiness)
    dark chocolate (~120 calories almost every day)
    crackers
    almonds
    dates or dried pineapple
    whole grain cereal
    ice cream
    treats (I had a rather absurdly calorific butter tart today, but that's not my norm)