Intermittent fasting

Options
How good is intermittent fasting for weight loss? What to eat while you're not fasting?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If is an eating schedule. It does not hasten weight loss on its own. It may be helpful with weight loss because condensing your eating into fewer hours tends to result in bigger meals so you feel more full.

Eat to your calorie/macro goals.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How good is intermittent fasting for weight loss? What to eat while you're not fasting?

It's good if it fits you eating schedule and allows you to get into a deficit. And you eat the foods that you enjoy and that help you reach your goals.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I think IF is great for weight loss.................................
    Because I can maintain my calorie deficit.

When you are not fasting you can eat whatever you want that fills your calorie goal.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I've done various IF protocols and it still comes down to calories-you need to eat at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals. I love IF and will always do it in some form, but I also know that if I don't stick to my calorie allotment I will begin gaining weight again (I'm in maintenance).
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I do it. love it.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    it's good if it fits your lifestyle and personal satiety. Beyond that it is nothing special.

And you don't eat anything, that's why it's called "fasting". You can probably drink black coffee, tea, and other non-calorie things during that time.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    it's good if it fits your lifestyle and personal satiety. Beyond that it is nothing special.

And you don't eat anything, that's why it's called "fasting". You can probably drink black coffee, tea, and other non-calorie things during that time.

I did the same thing, but the OP is asking what to eat in the non fasting window... so what to eat during the eating window.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I did the same thing, but the OP is asking what to eat in the non fasting window... so what to eat during the eating window.

whoops. :lol: reading comprehension, Rain; work on it!

Eat your favorite foods in portions which meet your required calorie intake, personal satiety levels, macro and micronutrient requirements.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It can be great for some, and completely useless for others. I think as far as a weight loss tools goes, the 5:2 protocol is better suited than some of the others. I follow 16:8 for the most part and it's just a schedule. I could gain/hold/or lose depending on how much I ate.

As for what to eat, the same things recommended no matter what "diet" you are on. A balanced diet including lots of vegetables, fruit, meats(chicken, fish etc) nuts/seeds, dairy if you can tolerate it, healthy fats and whatever levels of treats/snack you can tolerate without overeating.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I know I sound like a broken record but I love IF! For *me*, it's absolutely key to staying within my calorie goal. For others, it's something different.

While in your eating window, eat what you like, in a deficit, and you'll do well.
  • soni_sandy1992
    soni_sandy1992 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Thank you beautiful people for your help. :)