Working at Mc Donalds

Options
so i work at Mc donalds and i get free lunch and im too broke to pass that up does anyone know how many servings the salad is? and any other healthy options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Their website is really good with providing the nutritional values, and most of the items are already in the database on here. Careful you find the right country though, the values can change.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    thank yoy
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I second the website - just visited there tonight. Also I love their food. I usually get the cheeseburger and a big diet drink - about 300 cals and fills me up for hours and hours :)
  • gettingfitnyc
    gettingfitnyc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Egg McMuffins are another good choice. If you don't care about cheese you can make it without cheese and cut 50 cals and 3 grams of fat. (I did the math for a cheese slice by comparing hamburger & cheeseburger info). If I still worked at McD's and was trying to eat healthy I would probably get an Egg McMuffin and a side salad or fruit & yogurt parfait and either unsweetened iced tea or hot tea or water. Avoid the soda! That's a killer. Occasionally I would get a grilled chicken sandwich or southwest salad (I think you have to count the dressing separately b/c I think their nutritional info is only for the salad itself.) Oatmeal might be a good option too for some variety. And a plain cup of soft serve would be better than fries (fewer calories and you get a little bit better nutrition by getting calcium)
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I've been working at McDonald's for over five months now and love it, I've had no problem maintaining my weight there and take advantage of their free food each day I work! As someone else mentioned, all of their nutritional information is available on their website and you can even customize it to see how many calories you'll save by modifying certain entrees. For breakfast my go-to staple are always the egg mcmuffins (usually I order it without canadian bacon since it's a sodium bomb and I'm very salt sensitive). I also enjoy the southwest salads a lot (despite the higher sodium content) and really you don't need dressing at all since the cilantro lime glaze it comes with is very satisfying in my opinion and it has so many other toppings. When I'm in the mood for a sandwich I adore the Filet-o-Fish sandwiches, and you can save quite a bit of calories by ordering it without the tartar sauce (although I know this is part of the experience for some people). If you order a sandwich, which may not be too filling, you could always order the side salad or the apple slices on the side to help fill you up. Both have about 15 calories (without dressing for the salad), and contain tons of vitamins to round out any meal.
    I wish you all the best of luck, I'm sure you'll figure out something! Congratulations on the job, they provide some great benefits nowadays (especially with college)!!!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out the nutrition information on their website. It's pretty good.

I sometimes will have the artisan grilled chicken sandwich, which is really great on the protein to calories.

Feel free to indulge in other things too (burgers, nuggets, french fries), just make sure you are doing so in moderation (meaning not every day and make sure you balance it out with your other food that day).
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    When I eat McDonald's, I order things a la carte as I don't really eat bread or fries, so I order my meat separately and some eggs to go with it.

You have the advantage that you have access to all the food in its separate parts so it can be easy for you to put together a meal that suits your goals.

Grilled chicken on top of a side salad with dressing on the side can make a nice, lower calorie meal.

Or now that they serve breakfast all day, you can get round eggs and a sausage patty if that's what you're into.

If you want an ice cream cone, go ahead...just fit it into your calories.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I could eat that Southwest salad everyday, it's so good...

The egg white mcmuffin is only 250 calories as well.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I know a couple tricks to shave off calories when needed. Don't add on walnuts to the fruit n but salad ( they have added sugar on them) leave off the tortilla strips on the southwest salad, don't use dressing or use only half packet or a 3rd, leave off bread on sandwiches, avoid breaded foods, avoid fries and get apple slices instead. Or get egg with no bread and salad mix.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind the salads are LOADED with nitrates (?) and salt, both of which act as preservatives but can also cause you to retain fluid, thus sabotaging your weight reduction efforts. You might have better luck with some grilled chicken sandwich thingy
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I know you asked about lunch, but I usually get the sausage burrito for breakfast. 300 Calories.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Raptor2763 wrote: »
    Keep in mind the salads are LOADED with nitrates (?) and salt, both of which act as preservatives but can also cause you to retain fluid, thus sabotaging your weight reduction efforts. You might have better luck with some grilled chicken sandwich thingy

Because the Chicken they serve isn't? What a bunch of crap they give you a free meal and not a dollar raise so you can decide what to eat really Mcdonalds really???.. I wish I could say I will never eat there again but haven't in years so No Biggie,,
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Raptor2763 wrote: »

Fat loss comes from a calorie deficit. Nitrates or sodium cause water retention but do not slow fat loss.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I spent many years working at McDonald's put on a lot of pounds as well because well I just didn't care nor think about the affect the extra weight would have on my body. I started ordering ala carte. If I wanted scrambled eggs I would ask them to break a whole egg and an egg white and make the scrambled eggs. I'd have a slice of Canadian bacon as well and a gogurt and that was my breakfast during morning shifts. If I worked later I would have a grilled chicken breast and only eat half and then have a side salad with vinegrette dressing and a parfait. If I did end up with a burger I would ask them not to put the seasonings on the patty and had it put on lettuce leaves instead of a bun
    It had gotten to the point I no longer had to ask and the friends I had made while working there would have it done. Heck even the managers were bringing my my tray and say here ya go go take your break :) you can loose weight while working at McDonald's you can do it!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    The best things are likely their salads and wraps, but ask for no dressing on them and bring your own low cal dressing and you'll be sitting pretty. Usually half or more of the calories are in the dressings.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite McDonald's "healthy" items is the grilled snack wrap - no dressing. Also, if you're not low protein, a bunless burger (no condiments except lettuce and/or tomato) isn't bad either. A few things avoid are the shakes, McCafe drinks (black coffee is fine), sweet tea, and anything fried.

With that said, I go by the guideline of everything in moderation. So as long as it's not a daily trend, enjoy a cheeseburger and small fries once in awhile.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I don't eat bread or fries either so my usual is the double cheeseburger no bun, no onion. Now that they have breakfast all day I sometimes add bacon, egg, and cheese to it. All that together is 460 calories and keeps me full forever. It's a lot of food.