Is this enough...?

I am currently eating 1200 cals a day sometimes slightly more. I am not exercising however I wish to start. Im looking at doing Metafit twice a week for 30 mins, Bums n tums once a week for 30 mins, aqua fit for hour once a week. Is this enough to make me lose weight. I am currently 28lbs away from my xmas goal and I really want to get to that goal by xmas (47days!) even if im closing ill be happy (21lbs). Do I need to do more? I have an office job so very sedentary during the day although I have been trying to get up and go for a walk to the kitchen every hour!

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    If you're currently losing at a sensible rate on 1200 per day, and you now choose to add in exercise you will need to eat back (some at least) of the calories yo expend exercising. If you don't you will:
    • Get ill
    • Lose muscle

28lb in 47 days is not a realistic or sensible target I'm afraid. Aiming for 2lb per week would be the top end of what most would recommend and suitable for the obese. if your in the overweight or normal category that loss should be around 1lb or less per week.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2016
    If you're currently losing at a sensible rate on 1200 per day, and you now choose to add in exercise you will need to eat back (some at least) of the calories yo expend exercising. If you don't you will:
    • Get ill
    • Lose muscle

28lb in 47 days is not a realistic or sensible target I'm afraid. Aiming for 2lb per week would be the top end of what most would recommend and suitable for the obese. if your in the overweight or normal category that loss should be around 1lb or less per week.

I would agree this with this. Setting aggressive short term targets is not generally going to give you the long term results that you want, which will actually prolong the process. Personally, I would aim for a slightly less aggressive goal, get adequate protein (.6-.8g per lb of weight) to help preserve muscle mass, and try to improve each time you workout.

Out of curiosity, how much are you currently losing?