Best and worst Health advice you’ve ever had?

Options
Whats the best and worst health advice you’ve ever had?

Replies

• MeltingCookieMonster
    Options
    Best advice: Drink lemon water every morning on empty stomach.
    Worst advice: Don't eat banana everyday, it makes you fat :p
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Worst - yeah the 1200 cal thing
    Also you need grain carbs to be healthy. Wholegrain is better than white. Nah, dont buy it. I get more than enough fibre from veg.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Best: "Go low carb and eat everything cooked." -From my acupuncturist. After years of meds and troubleshooting with diet, I finally found something that works.

Worst: "diet has no impact on your health." - My GI doctor. :s
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any health advice I get outside of my Dr. and my Coach/trainer is the worst health advice...people are idiots.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Worst: Eat 1200 calories a day
    Best: Follow macros and eat more than 1200 calories a day
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    my favourite was the friend who told me not to lift because it would boost my testosterone and my hair would fall out. because menopause.

i'm very very very fond of this friend. so i don't want people laughing at her, and there might actually be some thread of theoretical-possibility truth to it for all i know. i said i would keep her posted.
  • cjdecz
    cjdecz Posts: 30 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Wow, it seems women specifically get the phrase, "don't do XYZ or you'll get fat". Men get a million different 'bro-science' suggestions.

Best: Don't believe anyone that gives you nutrition or fitness advice. Go out and do your own research. Read the studies yourself and make up your own mind.

Worst #1: "Dude, you gotta round your back to engage the lower back when you do DL" - gym bro
    Worst #2: "What do you mean a slow clean bulk? Dude, you're so anabolic after lifting that you should just hit ABC-fastfood-place and order as much as you can eat. You won't get fat at all, It will all go right to your muscle!" - another gym bro.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Best advice: Drink lemon water every morning on empty stomach.
    Worst advice: Don't eat banana everyday, it makes you fat :p

Someone legit told me that one time. Like, no, I like my daily pre-gym banana. F off.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Best - increase my protein macro
    Worst - "Don't work out when pregnant " , wish I knew better at the time to ignore that one
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    my favourite was the friend who told me not to lift because it would boost my testosterone and my hair would fall out. because menopause.

i'm very very very fond of this friend. so i don't want people laughing at her, and there might actually be some thread of theoretical-possibility truth to it for all i know. i said i would keep her posted.

LMAO!!!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Best: Eat a high protein breakfast or drink a protein shake with breakfast to kick start your protein for the day
    Worst: Eat low carb to lose fat. You can add the Coconut Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Green Tea Extract, etc. to that.

• ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I can't pinpoint the best but the worse advice is when my doctor told me I needed to change my diet due to high BP and Cholesterol.....I sat there for a minute and finally asked: "change to what". He recommended google. That's when I suggested he give me the name of a respectable dietician.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Best: Fat won’t make you fat
    Worst: The fat you eat is the fat you wear

That worst advice fueled my ED so that I didn’t eat any fat for almost a year. I cried when I ate an avocado when starting recovery. The reason I ate an avocado was because my nutritionist told me that best advice (after telling me my heart could fail if I didn’t start eating fat while running 60 miles a week).
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Best: one burger doesn't make you fat, just like one salad doesn't make you skinny
    Worst: anything unsolicited from someone at the gym
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Best - allow yourself 100 calories a day that you don't have to answer to anyone for--not even yourself.
    Worst - from a Dr.," doesn't matter what you eat, you've always been fat, you will always be fat, now about that cosmetic surgery--"
  • Gwynnether
    Gwynnether Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Best advice: Ditch the scale! The bane of my life when my weight loss stagnated. Instead measure how your body shape changes and your fitness level.

Worst advice: cut out all carbs.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Best-eat the right amount of calories that your body needs
    Worst- how eating toilet roll makes you feel fuller