Revising for Winter

Options
I pick my exercise activities because I love doing them: biking, walking, kayaking, gardening and I have had great motivation and success . . . while the weather has been warm. But the temperatures are dropping and I won't be doing most of those things much longer. So I'm contemplating how I will probably move to the treadmill and the stationary bike which I just don't really care for that much. At least I will still have yoga which I love. How do people keep motivated when their activities are "chores?"

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Spring, Summer, Fall I generally walk, and lately have begun running, and I also do cross training inside. In the winter, I'm stuck inside most of the time so I swap out 30 minutes on my Bowflex M5 for my running/walking and then do my usual cross training routine. Burns about the same calories and the M5 can be used in place of 'leg' day most of the time because I crank it up to level 16 lol. Any time in the winter it ends up above 60F I go for a walk/run though anyway.
  • columbus2015
    columbus2015 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I bike all summer; now that its dark too early for me to get a ride in after work, I get up early and go to a spin class @ 6:00.

I could never do an indoor stationary activity on my own, but surrounded by others and with a good instructor/energy, it's a decent substitute.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Put more clothes on, and have some shoes that fot the weather, and keep walking or even running.
    I live in Norway and the first snow came last weekend, but it wont stop me from running. When we get more snow ill probably add cross country to the mix.

Point is, if there is something you can do outdoor, go outdoor. Treadmill is ok i guess, just not for me.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I run, bike, and walk year round. I just dress appropriately for the weather, and it's no big deal. The only thing I don't do is bike in the snow. I also take classes year round.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    I pick my exercise activities because I love doing them: biking, walking, kayaking, gardening and I have had great motivation and success . . . while the weather has been warm. But the temperatures are dropping and I won't be doing most of those things much longer. So I'm contemplating how I will probably move to the treadmill and the stationary bike which I just don't really care for that much. At least I will still have yoga which I love. How do people keep motivated when their activities are "chores?"

I still cycle outside in the winter on nicer days...I have winter riding gear so it's not too big of a deal...I won't ride in the snow or if temps are below freezing. That said, I typically am less active in the winter months and do tend to put on 8-10 Lbs...not just exercise either, but general activity declines...more likely to spend a Saturday afternoon watching a movie in the winter than walk around for a few hours with the kids at the zoo in nicer weather, etc.

For this winter I purchased an indoor trainer that I can just hook my bike up to and have a few training videos my coach gave me to pop into my DVD player so I should be able to continue to ride 5-6 days per week...even though it's more of a chore, I'll still do it...cleaning my bathroom is a chore too, but I do that. I don't rely on being motivated all of the time...it's an ever fleeting emotion...I rely on habit and discipline and spring will be here before I know it...it would be nice not to have to cut this spring because I got fat over the winter.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike all winter here in Colorado. I tried to ride a trainer and a spin bike but I just hated it. Now I ride in the cold and if it's snowy I ride my fat bike.

With less sunshine, I have had to give up my afternoon walks. It sucks, but I'll just work on strength training more.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Bundle up appropriate to the weather and get out there! I'm lucky enough that I live somewhere it very rarely snows and can be outdoors all year round as long as I'm careful in the summer. If there are days you just absolutely can't get outside rig up some entertainment for your stationary activities. I own a stationary bike I'm now stuck using for awhile because I had surgery on my foot and can't run. :cry: I have it in my computer room and I watch Netflix or a DVD while I'm on the bike. It's a lot more entertaining than just pedaling to my own thoughts or even music. We own a treadmill, too, which I have never used because I hate them. Once I can walk and run barefoot (shoes will be awhile still) I'm planning to rig up my tablet on the wall in front of it so I can watch something while using that, too.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Cross country skiing, swimming, warm clothes
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I run outside all year 'round but the bike goes on the trainer as winter looms. Gym & pool schedule stay pretty much the same, the closest thing to a chore is riding on the trainer but I want to maintain my bike fitness over winter for racing season next year (I've already started signing up for 2017 races)

If you don't enjoy the treadmill & stationary bike try something new like snowshoeing or x-country skiing, those will help you maintain your fitness and enjoy winter.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    There is no shame in Netflixing while exercising. I watch comedy shows while on the elliptical. Makes the time go by so fast!
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I like winter I'm hoping for lots of snow shhh don't tell hubby je hates it. I got the things that slip over your shoes to walk on icy days L dress for the weather. I started exercising doing things I enjoy..hiking lots of swiming and walking. I'm not an indoor person. I'm going to hike and walk. I've been skating a few times this fall and if we get snow I'm getting a pair of snow shoes to add to tje workout.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »

Find something you can tolerate. Some folks find the winter months a good time to hit the weight room.