Women: Weight loss / hormone therapy

Options
klove808
klove808 Posts: 346 Member
edited November 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
hi all this inquiry isn't for me but for a friend. Trying to understand and be of some help to her.

So, she's on hormone therapy (prednisone) and has gained lots of weight due to that and minor injuries along the way. Anyhow, she deems it impossible to loose weight while on hormones because they make one so hungry all the time and also mess up the metabolism.

So wondering if anyone has had success in loosing weight in this type of situation, hardships, methods, etc. ?

Replies

• ayoublm
    ayoublm Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't have Addison's disease but I do have a chronic illness and was placed on 60 mg of prednisone. I tapered off within 5 months fortunately but gained about 20 ibs in the process.

Steroids do affect your hormonal processes and it's taken me about 2 months of being off steroids yo even begin losing weight. When I was still on them it felt impossible and I gained weight even after eating extremely well and exercising almost everyday. It does help to avoid giving in to cravings but st the end of the day it will most likely affect your body in someway.

That being said, everyone is different and it takes serious determination.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    First off, prednisone is not a hormone, it is a steroid. And you know about steroids, right? My son was on prednisone for one month with because of an asthma attack. He was 6 years old and gained 10 lbs very rapidly. That's a lot of weight on a little boy. As soon as he went off, the weight came off. Not only does prednisone increase your appetite a LOT, it also helps you to bulk up a little bit and you also retain water.

I would say that it's VERY hard to lose weight while on prednisone. It will help some if she can control her eating but that's very hard to do with this stuff.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    How long does your friend expect to be on the prednisone?