Deep body squat (a.k.a. Third World Squat) - if you cannot squat or want to get proper squat form

Options
Six months ago, if I tried to use my body weight and do a deep body squat or (third world squat), I would have fallen on my behind. I couldn't safely perform any kind of squat without dangering my lower back.

Today, for the first time since I was a kid, I sat into a deep body squat in between my upper body sets. Not only was I shocked I could finally do it, I was also very proud. I'm now 45. I can hold it for roughly 30 seconds and it's still shaky. Once I can hold it for over a minute, I'm going to try body weight goblet squats again.

So if you can't squat with proper form, try the deep body squat and get to the point where you can hold it for at least a minute and then try squatting again. There are many articles on why this is crucial for hip health, lower back health and flexibility.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/third-world-squat

http://www.mobilityguardian.com/third-world-squat/

http://www.stack.com/a/third-world-squat

Replies

• vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this! I can definitely do this to improve my balance!
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend use to weight lift and he was squatting like this, he said it's the best way! He learnt in China I believe.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    You see a lot of people in Laos sitting like this for hours, playing cards, socializing, etc.

I should practice this some more.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I like to do this for a stretch on leg day. Once I get down there I rock from foot to foot.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Zu6YQRj.jpg

• serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Bret Contreras talks about how important it is to be able to to deep body squat so that you can do proper form goblet squats.

If you have a weak lower back, you will not be able to do it.

If you have weak hips, you will not be able to do it.

If you have tight calves, you will not be able to do it.

If you have inflexible ankles, you will not be able to do it.

When you finally CAN do it, you will have the opposite of the above. A doctor friend of mine told me that quite a few of his patients have reversed the need for hip replacement because they developed the proper strength and flexibility to do the deep body squat.

You could do it as a child when you were strong and flexible and it's never too late to get it back.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    toddlers have stumpy little legs relative to their torso length, significantly less spinal curvature afaik, and no kneecaps. their heads weigh more than their bums at that age.

okay, maybe they grow kneecaps by the time they're of squatting age, but the body adapts to life as an upright creature, so by the time you're grown up you don't have the same body a toddler does. it's a little annoying every time someone says 'you could do it when you were a kid' as if that were the normal state for adulthood as well.

that said, i really like 3w squats.
  • serapel
    Options
    toddlers have stumpy little legs relative to their torso length, significantly less spinal curvature afaik, and no kneecaps. their heads weigh more than their bums at that age.

okay, maybe they grow kneecaps by the time they're of squatting age, but the body adapts to life as an upright creature, so by the time you're grown up you don't have the same body a toddler does. it's a little annoying every time someone says 'you could do it when you were a kid' as if that were the normal state for adulthood as well.

that said, i really like 3w squats.

don't defeat yourself before you even try. so many people do this including myself. I didn't think I'd be able to do it and yesterday I did.

this will help anyone who wishes to have lower back, hip and flexibility health.
  • grapaj
    grapaj Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I can do these forever (thanks, years of being a bat catcher). That being said -- put a bar on my back and it all goes to *kitten*. No more upright torso, bent way far forward. GAH!
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    grapaj wrote: »
    I can do these forever (thanks, years of being a bat catcher). That being said -- put a bar on my back and it all goes to *kitten*. No more upright torso, bent way far forward. GAH!

I had this issue too...found out it was weakness in the glutes. My hips would engage and end up pulling my torso forward (this also resulting in hip pain once my squats got really heavy). I started a glute focused workout and it fixed me right up.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    serapel wrote: »
    don't defeat yourself before you even try.

yup. guess you didn't see where i said i like them? i do like them, and i can actually do them pretty comfortably. i just think the 'you could do it when you were two!' thing is a little silly. babies pretty much arrive in a pre-folded state, and our bodies change for good reasons as we straighten up.
  • serapel
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    grapaj wrote: »

I had this issue too...found out it was weakness in the glutes. My hips would engage and end up pulling my torso forward (this also resulting in hip pain once my squats got really heavy). I started a glute focused workout and it fixed me right up.

me too. I strengthened my glutes and my squat is much better. I still cannot squat with weights though bc I'm working on a pelvic tilt issue first.
  • serapel
    Options
    serapel wrote: »
    don't defeat yourself before you even try.

yup. guess you didn't see where i said i like them? i do like them, and i can actually do them pretty comfortably. i just think the 'you could do it when you were two!' thing is a little silly. babies pretty much arrive in a pre-folded state, and our bodies change for good reasons as we straighten up.

sorry; misunderstood what you were saying. whatever works for you is best.