Should I drink water on weigh ins...

Options
I have made plenty of comments but never created my own discussion. I have a desk job and retain fluid easily. I drink between 10-12 cups of water a day. I weigh in on Tuesdays around 2pm and by then I have consumed almost all my water. I'm wondering should I skip the water intake until after I weigh in. I had to have a wellness screening (which was 9am before water consumption) for my job and I weighed 8.2 lbs less than the week before but by the time I get to the gym to weigh I'm only 0.2 lb less than the week before. Any suggestions?

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i get the same effect which isn't surprising because water weighs what it weighs whether it's inside or outside of you.

it depends if it matters to you, i think. i'm just weighing myself for personal reasons, so i just find it kind of entertaining. but if something is riding on your weekly number, like a job or an insurance situation or something then i'd say by all means game it a bit by staying dry.

or you could subtract the weight of your water from whatever number you get, too. there's about 2 cups to a pound in my experience.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    If i ever have to weigh in during the day. I always weigh in the morning on empty stomach to get my true weight. Then go on about my day eating and drinking as normal so if i weigh during the day I know it's because of food water and the clothing i have on.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    first thing in the morning after you use the bathroom in your underwear or naked is the best time. it will be more accurate than it will be later in the day.since weight fluctuates you may get a higher weight(especially if you eat in that time frame) later in the day.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Weigh in the morning after going to the toilet for your "dry" morning weight.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Drinking nothing until 2pm sounds a bad idea to me.

A better plan would be to weigh first thing in the morning before you eat or drink anything.

• BeastField
    BeastField Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I agree with most above. I think the best time to weigh in is in the morning after going to the bathroom.
  • Cifucanguess
    Cifucanguess Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for responding and for the advice. I have been without a home scale for awhile which is why I'm having to depend on the gym scale at 2pm. I will try to get a scale this weekend to see a better progress.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I doubt the desk job causes the water retention, take a good hard long look at your sodium intake over a period of time and there will be your answer. I typically weigh in before breakfast after my morning workout, but I drink water before and during my workout to keep from dehydrating. Doesn't make a huge difference unless of course I've over indulged in high sodium foods for the last few days, then I can easily expect a gain of 1-4 lbs without doing anything different.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    As long as you are consistent from week to week it does not matter. If you drink the majority of water before this week's weigh-in, do the same next week and the week after. It is true that weighing in the morning first thing makes it easier to be consistent but you can be consistent later in the day as well.