Dealing with chronic fatigue and weight gain

Options
2»

Replies

• KeshNZ
    KeshNZ Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    No other ideas. Do you have any ideas yourself?

Out of ideas, almost out of hope :-(

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I wonder if keeping a fatigue diary would be useful? I don't have CFS/ME but I do have a neurological condition which keeps me fatigued most of the time, and my Occupational Therapist put me on a fatigue management programme that involved keeping a diary of what I was doing and how it made me feel (pain/fatigue levels). After a while of keeping the diary she worked out a timetable for me, breaking my day into hourly segments and planning rest periods into it (as well as times for things I had to do and things I like to do).

It didn't actually work for me because I had to have seven rest periods a day and I just couldn't get anything done in the remaining time, and I feel better if I just keep pushing until I drop and take a few days off afterwards, but it might work for you.

My neurologist has put me on meds to keep me awake now (it's 2 a.m here LOL!) and we're experimenting with dosages at the moment, so that's another avenue you could possibly explore. Currently I'm on Amantadine and Modafinil, but they may be called something different wherever you are.

I'm losing weight with no exercise (and 200-400 steps per day), but the calculators for how many calories I should take in are usually wrong. It's trial and error to find the right level, don't give up.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Hi

Another CFS person here .... Don't feel alone.

Weight gain - cico, but dont think you cant excercise with CFs. Bear with me!!

I think 3 things really help: and it is what the medics recommend in UK as best practise for CFS

Graded Exercise. If you can - without stessing your body, ie getting fatigued overly - walk eg 1000 steps happily do this every day for a week or two. Up by just 10% and stick to this level for next two weeks.ie 1100 steps. Let this settle and repeat etc. You get fitter again in a safe way and get all the benefits of exercise and help your body be fit to expand your 'energy battery'. I swim and walk and am fit. To begin with I struggled with the walk to the pool...

Energy management: spoon theory : call it what you like. You aim to live within your ' energy envelope' - and not drain your battery, as this stresses the body and makes you more tired. So have naps, take breaks, do things gently, allow time to recover from journeys - rather than boom and bust.

Keep as anxiety and stress free as you can - have a CFS 'dont do' list, meditate, dont set unrealistic or fast weight loss goals, enjoy the flowers, get therapy, have massages. Dont have your engine/mind idling too fast...

All 3 have helped/continue to help me: i may not be fit enough to do a full time job, but i lead a pretty full life and am still - so slowly! With hiccups! - getting better

If this interest you message me and i will send on some weblinks.

Still learning how to cope 3 years on tho!