Fitbit Advantage yes or no?

Options
Why buy?

Replies

• andrea_nichol
    andrea_nichol Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I like mine because having a step goal and competitions with friends motivates me to be active when I would rather just sit. Though the con is that Fitbit isn't always good at tracing non-step exercise.
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Love my Alta. Button fell off my original fitbit. Avoid ones with buttons.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I have the simple model the zip only tracks steps/miles and calories burned. For me its good enough and I like it when other friends compete to see who walked the most on a particular day. It really keeps me moving, for example it was rainy yesterday I did not reach my goal and was quite low on my steps so I took each dog for a walk around the block (instead of doing them together) made me walk a bit more. If I hadn't checked my steps I wo Ould have stayed on the couch.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Why buy? No idea. I am hoping some well wishing person doesn't get me one for Christmas.

I realise a lot of people enjoy them, but I don't. My daily activity is more than just walking and the thought that I would pace the house just to reach an arbitrary number, rather than do the more whole body movements that I do, scares me.

I do have an old fashioned pedometer that I will clip on me (5-6 times a year) to get pace estimations when I start training for a race.

If you think it will help you with your goal see if you can borrow one. That is what I did, and how I decided that they weren't for me at this point in time.

They also tend to drastically underestimate my NEAT.

Cheers, h.
  • Gotrek1
    Gotrek1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a Xiao Mi fit band. I use it's Calories over MFP since MFP seems very high. Xiao Mi calculates about half of MFP / Mapmywalk so I go with that.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @kksmom1789 no it wasn't aimed at you. Please don't think it was a personal attack. (I am not that kind of poster)

It was a general observation.
    Both friends in real life, and people on this forum pace to get their steps in.
    There is nothing wrong with it, it is just not my cup of tea.

I thought it worth letting the OP know that a digital movement monitoring device isn't for everyone- and why I had decided it wasn't for me.

Cheers, h.
  • MeganCannon
    MeganCannon Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex and I love it. I don't wear it on my wrist though, I always wear it on my ankle or clip it to my shoe to get a real step count and not just how much I gesture. I am in a constant fitbit contest with a bunch of my friends and that will always encourage me to move more.
  • KimParrott
    KimParrott Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I realized when I was at the gym this morning that I didn't have mine. I feel like my gym time was wasted...lmao. I went back home to get it. I love the stats, the reminders, and crushing my goals. The weeks or times I lose weight, I would look at my stats, likewise, when I don't lose weight, I look at my stats and could tell I had a slow or sluggish week. This is one of the best investments for myself on this fit journey. I have the FitBit Charge 2
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I've never had one...have never seen any reason to have one.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    It really motivates me to move, I love my fitbit. Especially if you can do step challenges, I do step challenges with people from work. Its great!
  • bendis2007
    bendis2007 Posts: 82 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I enjoy my fit bit because I'm able to use it as a stop watch to log workouts and it monitors heart rate while I'm exercising so I'm more accurate about how intense my workouts are.
  • LittleChipin
    LittleChipin Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm very new to the fitbit alta but I like it. It helps remind me to move more and seeing my steps, active minutes, distance traveled, and calories burned throughout the day it such a good motivator. But I have it synced with MFP but never get any exercise calories added which is weird but I like the device itself, not too partial with the useless sync though.
  • buffinlovin
    buffinlovin Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have to echo those that say they feel more motivated to move when wearing one :)

I started with a Fitbit One (which I still have, and wear in a band on my ankle). I recently got a Fitbit Charge 2, and I know there is absolutely no benefit to wearing 2 Fitbits, but I like wearing my One for the steps, and the Charge for the Heart Rate Monitor. I walk in place at work, and the Charge doesn't do a good job counting my steps =/

I recently got my fiance a Jawbone Up (he balked at spending $100 for a "fancy pedometer", and the Jawbone was on sale on Amazon for about $17 so I got it for him as a gift). It has a lot of similarities, tracks steps/movement, calories burned, etc. The main difference is that the Jawbone uses a battery and the Fitbits are rechargeable (the Jawbone Up also doesn't sync with MFP, although other Jawbone models do). At first he wore the Jawbone Up because I guilted asked him to do it. then after a few days he was opening the app on his own. After the first week he'd go grocery shopping and then call me and say "guess what! I got xx amount of steps!" lol!

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Aside from the motivating aspects, it's because of my Fitbit that I found out I could eat so much more than I thought.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I used to have a One but it was 3 years ago and I got bored with it. Now I have a Charge 2 and I love it. It was a huge eye opener about what a difference it makes if I sit on the couch for an hour or go for a 15 minutes walk... Never realized that trying harder to be on my feet all day makes such a huge difference (I'm talking 1000 calories a day there).

I love the sleep tracker also!