A different question about hypothyroid

2»

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I lost 30lbs and had just stopped taking my meds altogether -> my levels were all normal :open_mouth: I have hashimotos, too. I still take my meds on occasion, since my TSH was on the high end of normal (3) Previously my dosage had never changed with weight fluctuations, though.

You just stopped taking it without feedback from your doctor? Why?

Hashi's doesn't stop being a problem. Your levels will fluctuate throughout your lifetime and need to be monitored. Don't mess around with it.

Why do you think I don't have feedback from my doctor? Of course I do.

And no, Hashi's is a lifelong problem, but there is no medication for it, only medication for the resulting hypoT, which like I said is normal at this time, likely due to my lowered antibodies and/or my thyroid overproducing. My endo has officially moved me from 3/x a year blood panels to once a year because of my improvement. At my next appointment we discuss the full thyroidectomy we've been putting off; he said my levels may be normal due to overproduction of a "finally" dying thyroid giving a "last huzzah" but that it will most likely crash after a year or so and after that there's no more putting it off-- if indeed that is the case.

So YOU didn't just stop taking them, your doctor took you off them? Does your doctor tell you when to take them occasionally? For what reason if you're only being tested once a year?

After all, I'm going by what you posted earlier.

What you're saying in this post is inconsistent with your first post.
    I lost 30lbs and had just stopped taking my meds altogether -> my levels were all normal :open_mouth: I have hashimotos, too. I still take my meds on occasion, since my TSH was on the high end of normal (3) Previously my dosage had never changed with weight fluctuations, though.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    edited November 2016

You just stopped taking it without feedback from your doctor? Why?

Hashi's doesn't stop being a problem. Your levels will fluctuate throughout your lifetime and need to be monitored. Don't mess around with it.

Why do you think I don't have feedback from my doctor? Of course I do.

And no, Hashi's is a lifelong problem, but there is no medication for it, only medication for the resulting hypoT, which like I said is normal at this time, likely due to my lowered antibodies and/or my thyroid overproducing. My endo has officially moved me from 3/x a year blood panels to once a year because of my improvement. At my next appointment we discuss the full thyroidectomy we've been putting off; he said my levels may be normal due to overproduction of a "finally" dying thyroid giving a "last huzzah" but that it will most likely crash after a year or so and after that there's no more putting it off-- if indeed that is the case.

So YOU didn't just stop taking them, your doctor took you off them? Does your doctor tell you when to take them occasionally? For what reason if you're only being tested once a year?

After all, I'm going by what you posted earlier.

What you're saying in this post is inconsistent with your first post.

I don't see any inconsistency? Unless you mean "just" which means "just recently"

Yes, he suggested I take one once or twice a week since my TSH could be lower, but it isn't necessary, and to keep tabs on how I feel, if any of my symptoms come back or I feel like I'm going hyperT. My mom went through a similar time, she was instructed half a pill twice a week when her levels normalized suddenly, and after a year she started needing it regularly again-- she doesn't have Hashis though, and I do have a "mass" of inflammation that is a worry spot (not a tumor, biopsy shows it's literally just inflamed tissue), so he said if I notice anything going wrong or feel poorly to def come in whenever I want.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    My meds have not been changed due to weight loss, though the most I've lost was 50 lbs. They do get upped every 5 years or so, based on blood test results.
  • quafferj
    quafferj Posts: 45 Member
    I started out at 283lbs, and I was on 200mcg. I'm currently 160 and at 150mcg, and the doctor said I may drop down a little more yet depending on how much more weight I lose.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Interested in this thread. I had been on 125mcg for 13 years with no fluctuations. I was able to lose 8 or so vanity pounds about 1.5 years ago and then started having hashimotos symptoms after I lost weight. Gained 15 pounds in the last year as well. Just got my second increase in dosage yesterday and am now taking 150mcg. Will definitely be working with my endo and hoping to lose the 15 pounds.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    what do everyone aim their levels to be? my tsh is currently 2.96 which is technically ok, however i want a tsh levels for be less than 1, as ive read thats a optimal level for those with hypo
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    what do everyone aim their levels to be? my tsh is currently 2.96 which is technically ok, however i want a tsh levels for be less than 1, as ive read thats a optimal level for those with hypo

There's no one optimal level for all people. There's only an optimal level for you, and that's where you feel free of symptoms.

I know my best level, and I could tell you, but that information would be meaningless for you. I personally do best when I go no higher than 1. Right now, I'm too low at .13, my doctor wants me no lower than .2.
  • leahcollett1
    yes, im still experiencing some tiredness.. my hair is still very very thin.. does that ever go? and more importantly im on 1450 cals a day and not losing. i think i still have a long way to go
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    yes, im still experiencing some tiredness.. my hair is still very very thin.. does that ever go? and more importantly im on 1450 cals a day and not losing. i think i still have a long way to go

Your hair on your head will come back once your thyroid is corrected, yes.

I lost half my eyebrows to a bad spell with my thyroid, and they never came back, though.

As for you not losing weight, that can still be done with careful logging and calorie counting.
  • zosia141
    zosia141 Posts: 44 Member
    Before I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism I weighed about 185 lbs. after 5 yrs on 112 mcg levothyroxine my wt stabilized at 160 and Levi went to 110. 5+ years and I'm at 140 lbs and 88 Levo.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member

The new optimal range for TSH is .2-2.0 since 2003. For those with previous thyroid cancer and total or partial thyroidectomies best practices teach to push toward hyperthyroid to minimize cancer recurrence. I'm at .1 - .2 and feel fine, but I was likely hyperthyroid the majority of my life so this feels normal to me.
  • leahcollett1
    brill thank you.. i'm hoping to get my results tomorrow
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    I'm pleased for everyone for whom levo actually works. I have had to go to a nutritionist and interesting supplements to become anything like normal. I have problems with the pill formulation and the preservative in the liquid and the NHS refused to do anything different.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member

I had severe symptoms at 5.7. I am now at 3.4 and still have some symptoms though not as severe so my dosage was just increased yesterday. My endo wants me under 2 and symptom free.