Should my ribs be showing?

Options
Serious question. Right now i'm 25lbs overweight and am still in my weight loss journey. Just today I started to notice my sides get a little boney. I am steadily loosing weight healthily on a 1600 calorie diet. My main forms of exercise are stationary biking, zumba, and pilates. Is this normal? Should I be worried or is this just where my fat is choosing to come off from?

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    It's just your fat choosing to come off in inconvenient places. I've had my ribs visible for a while now, but I'm still working on losing the belly. As long as your body fat percentage isn't too low, don't worry about it.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    My ribs show a little and I'm still overweight.

I imagine a lot of people on here might say to start lifting some weights as they say it will tone. Although my ribs show I still have a bit of a belly and like you I am doing mostly cardio style exercises.

My plan is once I hit goal weight to see what options I have to build some lean muscle as I think this should help reduce what is left.
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I just realized that when I stand up straight, you can see the definition of the bottom of my rib cage. I'm still about 25 lbs overweight.

I'm ecstatic.

My body chooses to keep a lot of fat in the "spare tire"... the 4 inches directly above my belt, all the way around my body.

So, yeah, your ribs might show. Don't let anybody give you any chit over it.
  • nomoredoughnuts
    nomoredoughnuts Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Whenever I wear tight tops or dresses my ribs show a lot. I still got another 16 pounds to go, it's just my body being weird.
    I have no fat on my ribs but a little on the back of my ribcage. Makes no sense haha
  • Angel4ever44
    Angel4ever44 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Okay then. Won't worry about it. Thanks you guys!
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'm not even sure I've got ribs.....
  • Katy_V
    Katy_V Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It could be the shape of your ribcage too. You can pretty much always see my ribs at the front even when I have "fat wings" on my back...
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    You've lost subcutaneous fat. That's what you lose first. Then you will lose the Visceral (abdominal) fat. So you're fine.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Even when I was bigger, my ribs showed, as they still do today. I wouldn't worry about that at all.