Pushing myself for 5k

Options
2»

Replies

• fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I started in January. Struggled with the 90 seconds of running then. Today, I ran 8.25 miles and could have gone further, but prefer to build up my distance by still having some gas in the tank at the end of a run. It's awesome the day you get past 3-4k and heart and lungs settle into a steady pace from there on.

Saying that, some runs are just rubbish. If I've a cold, I only do 3-5k to keep my legs going.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,691 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k In 2013 and I slacked off and never ran again. now I'm up to 260lbs @ 5'2 and I'm afraid to run. Everything hurts and I am afraid i'm goin to "break a knee" lol!! I day dream about running again someday and this forum has helped to encourage me.

Are you walking regularly? Start with that. When you can walk an hour without pain, then start mixing in some short jogs, from one mailbox to the next, or one light post to the next. Gradually extend the time you run. If it hurts while you're running, slow down. It is going to take time for your body to get used to the pounding. But it can if you're patient.
  • Getfitat54
    Getfitat54 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    It is a great start into the running world. Dont' give up, stick with it. I was in abouyt week 3 years ago, and I was huffing and puffing... I looked over at the leader of our group and said, this is tough, I can't wait until I'm a ruinner... he looked back at me and said what are you doing? I told him running? he said exactly... he said you ARE a runner!