new member- MFP v WW ?

Options
Hi, I am currently doing weight watchers which is costing nearly £25 a month and I was just looking for a cheaper alternative when I stumbled on this site. Can anyone tell me if this works the same as WW as so far this site looks pretty much the same as WW online.
I would be very grateful for any tips etc as my weight has stayed the same on WW for the past 3 weeks.

Replies

• Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I use WW as well as MFP, had more success with sticking to WW personally but prefer the community here. I find there is sometimes quite a discrepancy between the two as I can use all my WW points and still be 400+ calories under my MFP goal. Not all the time, just now and then so it's not something I worry about.

Took me a month before I lost anything when I first started WW but then I dropped nearly half a stone in a week before it evened out at roughly 1lb a week.
  • Jovi_Ality
    Options
    The only reason I am still paying for WW monthly is for the online app to track food! seems a bit silly really. Seriously considering cancelling and just using this to track. The online tools seem basically the same?
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I tried weight watchers, and I like this so much better.

It doesn't make sense to me. Calories are already posted on everything we eat for free, so we pay weight watchers to come up with a system to replace calories. It just seems more confusing than necessary.

The community here is really great too.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP to track my calories and exercise for about 18 months and have done pretty well. Good luck.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    WW costs, MFP is free - no contest:bigsmile: I've done WW (by myself - don't need to pay someone to tell me I'm overweight:laugh: ) and th weight went right back on because I found the number of points too restrictive.

I've been doing MFP since early January and am nearly at my goal weight. I ahve found it really easy to use, just make sure you weigh everything AND log everything - no weightloss programme can help if you eyeball 200g pasta and count it as 50g:ohwell:
  • denvoyager
    denvoyager Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi! This is a good site - the community is particularly helpful and supportive - it seems to be mostly people from the US, although there are a few strangers riding into town , like myself, from Swansea in Wales.
    I think you can ask people to be friends, and this lets you keep in touch easier, so my advice would be - give it a try, there's nothing to lose, except our bellies! Don't worry about missing a day here and there, it doesn't pay to stress over it, and remember we're all in the same boat on this one!Good luck, hope to see less of you in future, Den
  • Jovi_Ality
    Options
    Wow! thanks everyone! I am going to cancel WW and stick to here! the money I save can go towards my new clothes for the slimmer me (hopefully)
  • mggriso
    mggriso Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi, was with WW, lost 3 stone, put on a stone after an operation, tried WW again and lost nothing. Found this site and as others say its a free calculator and there are many 1,000's of english foods already on there anyway. Starting to loose again slowly and learning alot about dieting that I never know from this site.