What protein powder do you use?

Options
I googled protein powder and didn't realize there were so many kinds!

I am a female, looking to lose some weight (about 5 lbs) and then gain muscle. Looking for a lower calorie protein powder that will assist in meeting my protein goals. Any suggestions on a brand or type of protein powder that I should try?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    First, it will be rather difficult to build new muscle while losing weight, but protein can support the maintenance of muscle.

I like Quest, Dymatize, Pure Protein, EAS, Muscle Milk and a few others.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I use Super Advanced Whey Isolate Chocolate or Vanilla by Body Fortress. 30g protein per scoop. I use it mostly because A) It's cheap, and B) it's readily available at the local Wal-Mart, and C) It's an isolate so it has less lactose and absorbs faster.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I like Quest. It's reliably gluten free, makes a thick shake which I like, has a mix of whey and casein which keeps me full, and the vanilla is a versatile base for adding flavoring to. Plus I can pick it up at Wegman's.

When I make it in the blender with a lot of ice and some extra xanthan gum, I can get it to come out the consistency of soft-serve ice cream. It's a real treat.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    MUSCLEPHARM COMBAT 100% WHEY

you can get it at walmart or on bodybuilding.com

I have used Dymatize in the past. It was okay. I just wanted a change!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I like Quest. It's reliably gluten free, makes a thick shake which I like, has a mix of whey and casein which keeps me full, and the vanilla is a versatile base for adding flavoring to. Plus I can pick it up at Wegman's.

When I make it in the blender with a lot of ice and some extra xanthan gum, I can get it to come out the consistency of soft-serve ice cream. It's a real treat.

Fascinating. I must try this. How much xanthan gum do you use?

Sorry to hijack OP.
  • DBrooks1979
    DBrooks1979 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I use Dymatize Elite - Elite 100% Whey Protein - Gourmet Vanilla, 1 scoop (33.6 g) ... and I mix that with almond milk and PB2 for a delicious shake every morning .. keeps me full till lunch time where I can have a small meal...
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    The only one I can stomach is Six Star Elite Whey Protein Isolate. I found it at Walmart. They sell two that look very similar. I use the more expensive lower calorie one (in Canada 150 cal/scoop).
  • mccormf1
    mccormf1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You can adjust the calorie content of it by taking less than/more than serving size. I love BSN syntha 6 vanilla ice cream flavor. (I do 2 scoops with 24oz diet cran or diet cran-pineapple and frozen strawberries instead of ice or one scoop with half packet maple oatmeal, 1 vanilla Greek yogurt, frozen peaches, 12oz almond milk- blend it up put whipped cream and cinnamon on it. Just a couple ideas for higher protein basically meal replacement drinks that taste awesome and curb any sweets cravings). I also use RSP cookies and creme whey. It's delish and uses real cookie pieces. Average macros. Plus my buddy is a rep for them so he has everyone use his 25% off code which is a bonus
  • dtcjem
    dtcjem Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I use Nutribiotic Rice Protein. (Chocolate) This is per two heaping tablespoons....(120 Cal, 4 carb, 24 Protein, 2g sugar). Very light flavor that many don't like, but It doesn't upset my stomach like whey.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I use Quest because I like to make protein fluff(it only takes about 1/4-1/2 tsp xanthan gum) and also add 1/2 scoop blended to my coffee. It is very versatile. In the summer I make an iced coffee smoothie with banana and found the salted caramel flavor to be the best. Vanilla is my second choice.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I get the Kaizen at Costco because a) I'm frugal and b) it has less sodium than the other brands I've looked at.
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I like IsoPure Zero Carb or Low Carb powders. They are a bit expensive, but you can usually get a decent deal online. They taste pretty good, even with water. The serving size is about 200 calories for 2 scoops. Those 2 scoops have 50 grams of protein, which is a really good ratio. Since I am a smaller woman, I usually just do one scoop. It stretches the servings and I really don't need 50 grams of protein in one go.
  • bkbirge
    bkbirge Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've been using the body fortress whey vanilla to add some protein and help my macro balance. It works, a bit sweet tasting for me but the numbers are all there and seems to dissolve decently if you let it sit in water for a few minutes after stirring. Can't really say I'm too jazzed about any powdered supplement taste but that one is tolerable.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i was buying six star, tried the arnie iron whey series (too sweet), also made my way through a huge thing of musclepharm combat (blended, i.e. not totally whey based, fine but just sliiiiiightly cheesey-tasting, or perhaps that was me. or perhaps it's much salt). also tried a few generic brands, but couldn't recall for you now which ones i liked and which ones i didn't.

i read the labdoor.com reports so if i lived anywhere other than canada i'd probably try their products. but border/duties/customs hassles are too much for me to fret about, so right now i have a huge 11-pound bag of whey isolate from canadianprotein.com in the cupboard. i'd guess i'm about 2 pounds into it at this point. i never found any independent reviews of their purity, but on taste and general non-lab-tested experience, so far i have no regrets.

flavour-wise, the only time i buy something non-vanilla, it was a mistake.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Canadian protein isolate/concentrate blend. Low calories, high protein content. I get 12lbs bulk for around $100
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Solgar Whey to Go. They have it in Chocolate and Vanilla at Wegmans and Vitamin Shopee
  • celestial2763
    celestial2763 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Purely inspired organic protein french vanilla
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Fascinating. I must try this. How much xanthan gum do you use?

Sorry to hijack OP.

I don't really measure it, I just sort of put a bit on the end of a teaspoon and dump it in while the blender is running. I know I should measure and log it but meh, incidental fiber calories. I don't like protein fluff, and this is denser than it.
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Bodytech whey protein isolate -- 110 cals for 25g
    GNC amplified wheybolic extreme 60 -- 90 cal for 20g

I have tried samples of Ideallean which was okay but too expensive