Does anyone believe in cheat days?

Options
2»

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,031 Member
    Options
    I dont do cheat days as such - I also look at my calorie allowance as a weekly thing - so some days are under,some are over - if I know an over day is ahead - eg going to a party or something - then I go under for several days ahead to bank up calories for that day.

VERY occasionally I have a day where I dont log or try to count at all - eg Christmas day.

But these only happen once or twice a year.

although If I am on holiday for a week or so I take a complete break from logging at all.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I dont do cheat days as such - I also look at my calorie allowance as a weekly thing - so some days are under,some are over - if I know an over day is ahead - eg going to a party or something - then I go under for several days ahead to bank up calories for that day.

VERY occasionally I have a day where I dont log or try to count at all - eg Christmas day.

But these only happen once or twice a year.

although If I am on holiday for a week or so I take a complete break from logging at all.

Also exactly what I do, weekly averaging and banking for planned days where calories might be more than normal.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »
    It can definitely help, lots of people do it- and if it works for you... fantastico!

That said, sustainability appreciates putting "cheat foods" into your daily caloric allowances and makes food "fun" rather than "endured".

Cheat days are not just about what I eat. They are primarily about how much I eat.

Ok... why not level out those calories throughout the week...?

My cheat days are often large enough to contain 1.5-2 weeks of calories. That is why doing it more than once every several months sets me back so much. What are you suggesting... cheat day and then fast for 2 weeks?!

You can eat 20,000-30,000 calories in a single day?!?!?!

It really isn't that hard.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    It can definitely help, lots of people do it- and if it works for you... fantastico!

That said, sustainability appreciates putting "cheat foods" into your daily caloric allowances and makes food "fun" rather than "endured".

Cheat days are not just about what I eat. They are primarily about how much I eat.

Ok... why not level out those calories throughout the week...?

My cheat days are often large enough to contain 1.5-2 weeks of calories. That is why doing it more than once every several months sets me back so much. What are you suggesting... cheat day and then fast for 2 weeks?!

You can eat 20,000-30,000 calories in a single day?!?!?!

Yes, but if I do that very often, then it derails my progress too much. So by only allowing a cheat day at certain weight milestones, I can at least have a day a few times each year where I can finally eat what I want and as much as I want.
  • Gorgeous84me
    Gorgeous84me Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great info guys! Thanks so much
  • Gorgeous84me
    Gorgeous84me Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you guys can please add me as your friend it will greatly be appreciated I need as much help as possible
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I've found that having a cheat day works for me especially on the weekends what do you guys think

I don't really limit myself entirely. If it fits my macros, I eat it. I pre-log, so that helps a lot. My only "cheat" is alcohol. I don't pre-log and I don't usually accurately log (not purposefully). But I have found that if I eat well enough during the week it really doesn't affect me, I still maintain just fine and now that I'm in bulk I'm even allowed some extra treats while drinking (because beer, wings and pizza are the ultimate football Sunday meal)
  • lizzmongoose
    lizzmongoose Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I find cheat days help tremendously. I do it once a week normally on the weekend. I find it's nice to have a day I can go out and not worry about how much butter was used in my veggies or substituting the fries for salad. I eat at a 700 calorie deficit all week and generally find I barely hit maintenance on cheat days...smaller appetite I guess.
    Everyone is different you have to do what works for you and keep in mind that it can derail your entire week if you're not careful.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    mccormf1 wrote: »
    I think it's good mentally so you don't go insane if your trying to 'eat clean' all the time

Or you could just eat how you like to eat every day and have your calories correct for loss or maintenance. Seriously, haven't gone insane yet and I've lost an entire human's worth of weight.