Is 1,230 calories enough?

Options
Lexsday
Lexsday Posts: 7 Member
edited November 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm trying to lose 70 pounds and I was wondering if for the long run 1,230 calories is enough?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Your stats - height, weight, age, activity level?

If you plugged everything into MFP, you got a calorie goal before exercise. So if you exercise (and log it) you earn more calories.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Height
    Current weight
    Activity level

All the above are needed to help determine whether this is enough.

I am 5' ish, 41, female and don't have a lot to lose, but I am set to 1500 NET calories (meaning I eat back the calories my Fitbit tells me I've used, but not usually all of them. This is helping me to lose in a slow but sustainable way.

The way I see it, if you eat at the calorie level of the person you want to be, it gets you into that mindset, and gets you ready for the long run.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I started with 100lbs to lose and a calorie recommendation of 1250 per day to lose 2lbs per week. It's a tough number to stick to, but I've decided to do it for the first 50lbs lost. Then switch my rate of loss to 1lb per week and begin eating more calories. My reasoning is this will help me as a step-down plan to maintenance calories.
  • tress29
    tress29 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    When I started looking at my activity, I found I wasn't even lightly active! I reset MFP to Sedentary, but at a 1# per week loss, it only gave me 1250 calories. I'm realistic about how low that is for me, and reset my loss goal to .5# per week. Now my calories are about the same as before, and the weight is still coming off, just a little more slowly.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I stick to 1000-1250 alright, Iv lost 55 pounds so far. Stick to nutritionally dense lower calorie whole foods wherever possible and im sure you can do it. I eat ALOT of potatoes. Super filling and low calorie, And lots of nutrients. Alot of people scared of carbs would cringe to this though. XD Carbs arent my enemy
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    I stick to 1000-1250 alright, Iv lost 55 pounds so far. Stick to nutritionally dense lower calorie whole foods wherever possible and im sure you can do it. I eat ALOT of potatoes. Super filling and low calorie, And lots of nutrients. Alot of people scared of carbs would cringe to this though. XD Carbs arent my enemy

What works for you might not work for others!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

What you're saying is true trigden, but I took it as just giving info on her experience--which all of us do. She was just giving the OP an idea and I think it could be a good one. Potatos could be a way to go. There was once a great potato lovers thread on here with mouthwatering photos.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

What you're saying is true trigden, but I took it as just giving info on her experience--which all of us do. She was just giving the OP an idea and I think it could be a good one. Potatos could be a way to go. There was once a great potato lovers thread on here with mouthwatering photos.

Eating under the recommended daily calories isn't good. Personal experience is fine but it is not wise to advise others to do the same.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Why are you eating below the minimum threshold?
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Lexsday wrote: »
    I'm trying to lose 70 pounds and I was wondering if for the long run 1,230 calories is enough?

I've lost the last 100lb eating 2000-2500 Calories and netting am average of 1500, so for me there's no way that 1230 would be enough. With 70lb to lose I'd be aiming to lose 1-1.5lb a week rather than the most aggressive 2lb, lowering the rate even further as you get closer to your goal. In fact I'm only aiming for 0.5lb a week now with around 40lb to go.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP whether 1,230 is enough for you is dependent on a lot of those stats that people asked for above. One thing to keep in mind is that the MFP approach is a NEAT method, meaning that it doesn't include exercise when your goal is set. If you do exercise, you are meant to be eating those calories back, so you would be NETTING whatever goal you decide on. With 70 lbs to lose, a goal of 1.5 lb/week would be appropriate, but 1 lb/week might be more comfortable for you.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    How about stop derailing the OP'S thread?

OP, no one can give you good advice on this issue without providing your stats. We would need to know your height, weight, goal weight, age, activity level and how your progress has gone so far. Please don't be scared off by other people's drama, come back and answer those questions so we can help you figure it out! :drinker:
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Thanks someone actually understood ...I sense the others understand to just like to complain....And not offer their own help

Actually trigden caught it, and I didn't. If you are eating under 1200 calories--under a doctor's care--then you should say so because it's not safe for the average dieter. You've lost 55 lbs following your docs orders and that's great. I very much liked your potato suggestion, because we often forget how filling they are, and versatile too. It's also true that you didn't recomend going below 1200, but you have to realize that there are alot of young women that want to speed up their weight loss and will drop their calories at the slightest suggestion. Then after 4 months they start threads asking what to do about hair loss, weakness, and various problems. You are doing great--keep up the good work.