Bulking is Hard....Rant

Options
This is my first bulk and I'm finding that mentally, it's draining. You eat, lift as heavy as possible, gain strength, but then are left with just a little too much fat. I know it's the process, I get it, but when you take a look at your peak pictures, it's kinda hard to stay motivated. You look back at progress photos and see a lean, cut body (okay in my case I wasn't uber cut, let's say "toned") and then compare yourself to the mid-bulk bod and it's like, ugh what am I doing to myself. I know it will pay off in the long run. I see some ab definition even under the fat which I never thought would be possible and my quads are gaining inches by the day, but it's still difficult. I talked to another fitness fanatic friend and he is going through the same thing (and he's still cut even in the "off" season), so I know I'm not alone in this boat. I just wanted to make a thread where everyone can come to vent and share tips on how to cope with the mid-bulk blues. All I know is I'm gonna put in the extra effort, crush my lifts and come April (vacation to Saint Lucia) I'm gonna be ripped AF.

A few questions:
1) If I start cutting in February (go back to a 1,400 x day intake without eating back exercise calories) and incorporate cardio daily (20-minutes) think I'll see definition by April?
2) When cutting, how much muscle mass do you usually lose? Do you continue on with the same weight you lifted during bulk in order to maintain as much of that mass as possible?
3) Do you incorporate cardio in the bulking season as well, or cut it out altogether?

Replies

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    1. I think it depends on how much BF you put on during your bulk. 1 lb a week for 8 weeks should show something. You might even consider a slower lose of 1/2 per week to help preserve the LBM you put on.
    2. Not sure on the first part, it's probably subjective. Yes, I keep with the same weight, volume drops off. It's kind of a tradeoff either volume drops or intensity drops. I prefer keeping intensity high and lowering volume.
    3. Cardio....what's that?! LOL
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What I do to get through the bulk blues:
    -Focus on the positive gains: booty, back, arms, quads etc. Just look how big they are getting, yay! Buy cute sweaters and leggings to hide the bloat
    -Sometimes it helps to talk to people who have been there before and see their progress from pre, during and post bulk as inspiration and a reminder "yes.. this is why I am doing this.."
    -I know it's hard but trusting the process and asking yourself at the end of the day 'do I want to just maintain this or do I want to get stronger and put on more muscle and be more awesome' ... we are building muscle for life!

As for the questions
    1) It depends on how much you need or want to lose. I only had to lose 3lbs during my cut last bulk which I did in about 2 months. I mean, I could have went lower in BF% but I like myself a little higher. I would say it is probably doable for you. I usually give myself 2-3 months because I like to do a reverse diet type thing where I slowly decrease my cals (mostly for hunger reasons but you can skip that if you want)

2) You will lose a little but not much... as long as you keep lifting (even if you have to deload a bit as you are in deficit, don't sweat it) and eat enough protein. I also kept my deficit moderate, but honestly I know people that drop weight quick after a bulk with no issues so maybe someone else can chime in on this topic.
    I switched up my programming a little bit but you don't have to unless you find the volume very strenuous at deficit

3) Ya I do zero cardio.. but sure you can as long as you eat back those cals and remain in surplus.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    1) It depends
    2) It depends
    3) It depends

OP it is all very individual. You have to find what works for you. If you are aiming to be "ripped AF" in April, I would advise setting aside 10-16 weeks to cut, depending on how much fat you gain in your bulk.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    What I do to get through the bulk blues:
    -Focus on the positive gains: booty, back, arms, quads etc. Just look how big they are getting, yay! Buy cute sweaters and leggings to hide the bloat
    -Sometimes it helps to talk to people who have been there before and see their progress from pre, during and post bulk as inspiration and a reminder "yes.. this is why I am doing this.."
    -I know it's hard but trusting the process and asking yourself at the end of the day 'do I want to just maintain this or do I want to get stronger and put on more muscle and be more awesome' ... we are building muscle for life!

As for the questions
    1) It depends on how much you need or want to lose. I only had to lose 3lbs during my cut last bulk which I did in about 2 months. I mean, I could have went lower in BF% but I like myself a little higher. I would say it is probably doable for you. I usually give myself 2-3 months because I like to do a reverse diet type thing where I slowly decrease my cals (mostly for hunger reasons but you can skip that if you want)

2) You will lose a little but not much... as long as you keep lifting (even if you have to deload a bit as you are in deficit, don't sweat it) and eat enough protein. I also kept my deficit moderate, but honestly I know people that drop weight quick after a bulk with no issues so maybe someone else can chime in on this topic.
    I switched up my programming a little bit but you don't have to unless you find the volume very strenuous at deficit

3) Ya I do zero cardio.. but sure you can as long as you eat back those cals and remain in surplus.

You always have great answers to these questions! I see your posts about it too, and I feel like you and I are extremely similar in the bulk/cut phase - our mindset seems to coincide along with our goals (slow bulk, etc.) Thanks for the reassurance and all the awesome tips.
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    1. I think it depends on how much BF you put on during your bulk. 1 lb a week for 8 weeks should show something. You might even consider a slower lose of 1/2 per week to help preserve the LBM you put on.
    2. Not sure on the first part, it's probably subjective. Yes, I keep with the same weight, volume drops off. It's kind of a tradeoff either volume drops or intensity drops. I prefer keeping intensity high and lowering volume.
    3. Cardio....what's that?! LOL

Honestly, I hate cardio. Avoid at all costs. LOL
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    1) It depends
    2) It depends
    3) It depends

OP it is all very individual. You have to find what works for you. If you are aiming to be "ripped AF" in April, I would advise setting aside 10-16 weeks to cut, depending on how much fat you gain in your bulk.

Perfect! I've seen people say as low as 8 weeks, but it seems like that could be pushing it from what everyone is saying. I know it all depends on the particular person, I was just interested in seeing what everyone's personal timing/goals were. This is my first bulk, so I know I'll probably be more in-tune with it all next time around. This is more of a learning experience. Even more reason to stay dedicated and motivated.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Following! I'm on my first bulk as well - this is a great thread.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I have not had the guts to try a bulk yet. Maybe next winter, for now staying in recomp mode. I can see where the fat gain would bum you out, it would drive me bonkers, which is why I have not had the guts to try it yet.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    1) It depends
    2) It depends
    3) It depends

Perfect! I've seen people say as low as 8 weeks, but it seems like that could be pushing it from what everyone is saying. I know it all depends on the particular person, I was just interested in seeing what everyone's personal timing/goals were. This is my first bulk, so I know I'll probably be more in-tune with it all next time around. This is more of a learning experience. Even more reason to stay dedicated and motivated.

The key to cutting is to acknowledge that you are fatter and have less muscle than you think you do. This will help in the long run.