How do I make mild exercise hurt less?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I love swimming and walking. They're both fairly gentle cardio that always makes me feel better, mentally and physically.

But I hurt so much afterwards. I have a splitting headache today because I swam for 30 minutes. (Which is not super strenuous!)

I know like general stretches, hamstrings and neck rolls, but I must not be doing enough because even a small amount of exercise hurts so much a few hours later. Especially my neck, shoulders, and hip. I don't know how to stretch a hip! Can hips be stretched?

Is this normal or am I really doing something wrong? I have trouble being consistent with exercise and I think this is part of the reason - I enjoy doing it while I'm doing it, but afterwards I'm starving and in pain :neutral:

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    That's strange, even at my most unfit a swim or a walk wouldn't leave me in pain. Do you have any medical issues which could be causing this?

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Get a medical work up

Then get a personal trainer

Do you feel the same after walking?

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hydration and electrolyte balance re the headache

Flexibility and progressive resistance training with good form re the aches and pains

Medical clearance on possible joint issues and bloods
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and have found that certain foods make me fee horrible and cutting them out makes me feel like a new person. I have also discovered that adding magnesium glycinate is really helpful too. Five years ago it was a challenge to make it from the bed to the couch and it was a good day if I didn't need a nap. Now I lift weights and do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and kickboxing (along with other exercises) and feel really good as long as I stay away from the foods that apparently hate me. I hope you can figure out how to make things easier for yourself so you can enjoy your exercise. :smile:
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    you might have some trigger points going on, especially in your scalenes and traps.

headaches don't happen to me, but when they do anything from the collarbones up is worth exploring a bit. i am NOT saying don't see a doctor, but, well. swimming makes a crazy demand on your arms and usually in atypical range of motion that you don't normally use while on land.

there's more than one site out there with 'maps' and info, so google is great. but here's one of them. http://www.triggerpoints.net/
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I used to swim with my head held up and it gave me terrible headaches and neck problems! Had a couple of sessions with an instructor which fixed it. Dehydration could be an issue and- as others have said- something like fybromyalgia; might be worth getting checked out.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I used to swim with my head held up and it gave me terrible headaches and neck problems! Had a couple of sessions with an instructor which fixed it. Dehydration could be an issue and- as others have said- something like fybromyalgia; might be worth getting checked out.

Actually that might be it. I only took lessons up to grade 7, and then I was away from the water for ages. I don't doubt my form is unideal. Thanks!

I have friends who have fybromyalgia and I'm fairly sure it's not that. They're in pain constantly, like 20/30 days with a migraine constantly. My headache is definitely tension related, not a migraine. But I may have not had enough water, that's true.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Definitely see a trainer or someone who can advise intelligently on your form. It does sound suspect.

In the meantime, focus on making sure you are fueling yourself properly. Have a nice long look at your macros, your water intake, and your calorie intake.

And yes, hips can be stretched! Sitting all day and exercises like walking, running, cycling all lead to tight hips. I'm not sure about swimming but I would imagine it could, too. Check out some basic yoga poses to help open and stretch the hips. It will make an amazing difference in your lower body comfort. Some that helped me that you might want to look into are pigeon, reclining bound angle, wide legged forward bend, and thread the needle.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I was swimming for rehab after one of my disc prolapses and chatted to one of the PTs who used to be an international swimmer.
    Her pet peeve was the blanket recommendation for swimming as "good for your spine and joints" - her caveat was "only if your technique is good".
    Just like any exercise really.

She described my swimming form as "that's not swimming - that's more like not quite drowning". :(

Sorry but That Made me LOL!!!
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I was swimming for rehab after one of my disc prolapses and chatted to one of the PTs who used to be an international swimmer.
    Her pet peeve was the blanket recommendation for swimming as "good for your spine and joints" - her caveat was "only if your technique is good".
    Just like any exercise really.

She described my swimming form as "that's not swimming - that's more like not quite drowning". :(

Sorry but That Made me LOL!!!
    Me too! :smiley: